What I'd like to see Topic

OK, put aside the obvious - more frequent updates, faster response times, etc.  What intrinsic change would you like to see to the site?

One thing I've always wanted was a true variation on What If.  For example, what if Milacki had an entire season like his cookie year?  We know what it would cost, based on $/IP.  What if you could buy players based on that?  Here's a player, here's his IP (or AB)/162; how many IP or AB do you want to buy?  Think of the Bonds years, where he's hard to use for a full season because of all his walks; or Ted Williams's war-shortened year. Or even that great batter you love to use, but he's JUST a little short of AB to be a full-timer.

Again, given my druthers there are more important changes to be made.  But if I'm dreaming ... 
9/25/2013 1:55 AM
Ok I'll bite Pinot. I'm a dreamer, too. My dream is for MORE management control of game decisions. I believe (to increase realism) we need more settings/controls to influence "Sparky"s game decisions on the quite important TIMING of Pitching changes and pinch hit attempts, etc.  At the present "Sparky's" game decisions are too much "out of our control". "Sparky seems to always WAIT until just after the Pitcher has been nailed for a HR to make a bullpen call or switch of hurler. That's just nuts. It does NO good to change Pitchers after a HR when the bases are empty. You need to make the call before the HR, if possible. Having just the Pitcher controls we now have just does NOT adequately do the job!!  I'd have fired "Sparky" a long long time ago IF I could figure out who HE is!!   LB
9/25/2013 12:00 PM
More advanced settings and controls would be nice.  One idea that others have mentioned over the years is more individualized basestealing settings, where you can adjust an individual player's aggressiveness level depending on the opposing catcher's arm rating or CS%.  You could set a guy to 0 if facing an A+ arm or 50%+ CS catcher, 1 against an A/A- arm, 2 against a B arm, 5 against C or worse arms, etc.  I'm sure there are lots of other good ideas out there for specific individual player settings that could use some more advanced controls.
9/25/2013 2:41 PM
Make it open source and allow users to control site!
9/25/2013 2:56 PM
Posted by pinotfan on 9/25/2013 1:55:00 AM (view original):
OK, put aside the obvious - more frequent updates, faster response times, etc.  What intrinsic change would you like to see to the site?

One thing I've always wanted was a true variation on What If.  For example, what if Milacki had an entire season like his cookie year?  We know what it would cost, based on $/IP.  What if you could buy players based on that?  Here's a player, here's his IP (or AB)/162; how many IP or AB do you want to buy?  Think of the Bonds years, where he's hard to use for a full season because of all his walks; or Ted Williams's war-shortened year. Or even that great batter you love to use, but he's JUST a little short of AB to be a full-timer.

Again, given my druthers there are more important changes to be made.  But if I'm dreaming ... 
http://whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?TopicID=405196&ThreadID=8254876#l_8254876

I've proposed that idea a few times over the years. Nobody gets it.
9/25/2013 3:42 PM
Usually only playing 1-2 leagues per year (for the last 10 yrs), maybe U guys can
clue me... It's about what eye would like 2 see, & whether or not any of U see any
chance that something like this could actually be accomplish'd here, & be seen...

The word 'normalization' seems 2 be used as an excuse, for 'estimating' precise
historical numbers... Does the '23 BRuth exactly resemble itself after 10,000 PA's
or after 10 million PA's (?)... A home team in Coors, w/ 3 BRuth clones, batting in
the line-up, pretty much means 3 hitters w/ 100 homers each, which is where the
'normalization' (although extreme in this example) seems unreal & useless, & as
a continually failing experiment, for that particular type of league...

It was not that long ago, when MMantle & RMaris became the 1st team-mates with
more than 50 homeruns each... A dozen yrs later, HAaron, DaEvans, & DvJohnson,
became the 1st trio of team-mates 2 hit 40 or more homers each... Then, late in the
'70's, the LADodgers became the 1st team w/ 4 team-mates, who hit 30 homeruns,
or more, w/ SGarvey, RCey, RegSmith, & DuBaker... Realistically, -this, -just seems
MORE real 2 me... Not outrageously guessed by a path of old-Wi$ 'normalization'...

What seems a more rational & logical approach from my point of view, would be 2
just simply 'normalize' EACH LEAGUE individually, truly based upon those pitchers
& batters within THAT PARTICULAR LEAGUE, prior 2 it's commencement...

The stud pitcher, AJoss, seems 'normalized' across the entire database, handling
RHornsby's & BRuth's in successive PA's, pretty routinely... In other words, -teams
fill'd w/ AJoss's & BRuth's should be RE-normalized against itself... An example is
also applicable 2 those Prog-Reg leagues using a 'normalization', that is intend'd
ONLY for whatever pitchers/batters used over it's sole duration... Whether in OL's,
or Themes. or Prog-Reg types, there still seems a better way to achieve realism...

That's my point, & question... Can a different type 'normalization take place here (?) 
9/25/2013 5:07 PM (edited)
Posted by laramiebob on 9/25/2013 12:00:00 PM (view original):
Ok I'll bite Pinot. I'm a dreamer, too. My dream is for MORE management control of game decisions. I believe (to increase realism) we need more settings/controls to influence "Sparky"s game decisions on the quite important TIMING of Pitching changes and pinch hit attempts, etc.  At the present "Sparky's" game decisions are too much "out of our control". "Sparky seems to always WAIT until just after the Pitcher has been nailed for a HR to make a bullpen call or switch of hurler. That's just nuts. It does NO good to change Pitchers after a HR when the bases are empty. You need to make the call before the HR, if possible. Having just the Pitcher controls we now have just does NOT adequately do the job!!  I'd have fired "Sparky" a long long time ago IF I could figure out who HE is!!   LB
The only way I can think they could program this is if a pitcher goes over his IP/G, regardless of pitch count or pull setting.  As each event is independent of each other, pitchers don't 'tire' like they do in RL, so there's nothing for Sparky to see to make him pull a pitcher.  Do you have a suggestion on how they could do that?
9/26/2013 12:54 AM
LOL.  Well, I'm pretty comp illiterate. Don't spell so good either.  I can't say about programming.  My only thought is more/additional settings/controls.   The 1 thru 5 settings for "removal"  (quickness to jerk)  is just not adequate in my view.  Set it a 5 and "Sparky" will pull the starter sometimes just because he gave up a 2 run HR, EVEN when that was his ONLY mistake.  I've had my SP jerked when throwing a 2 hitter (3rd inning) just because he gave up a HR, even though it was a 2-1 game. I've also experienced "Sparky" just NOT pulling a SP with a 4 "jerk" setting even though I would have liked him removed 50 pitches and 6 or 7 runs earlier.  There is just NOT enough settings and controls to allow US mgrs. to control pitching changes the way we'd do it!!   Same thing with pinch-hitting.  It needs to be OUR decision when to decide to make these kinds of game management moves.  "Sparky" is too formulaic and the decisions are sometimes COMPLETELY illogical and totally unrealistic because NO real manger would have EVER done what "Sparky" just did with that specific Pitching change, or NOT changing!!   I'm aware there is a "live" version here at WIS, and I most likely should play that and likely that would solve my issues. BUT, though I've tried to "check it out" and try the LIVE game, I can't even get it to go to the proper page when I've tried it. On my PC, the LIVE version just won't work. I tried getting help with PC issues from the site administarators, BUT that was useless. They have no interest in personal assistance. COMPLETELY unhelpful. So, I just gave it up.  I'm seriously considering searching to see IF I can find another website that allows a similar style of baseball management simulations and switch over to that, IF it's better and even exists, of course!!   LB

P.S.  I've only been here for just over a year. So, this is totally based on hearsay, HOWEVER, I've been told that this site was WAY WAY better run, and much more fun before it was sold to Fox Sports. So, there may be no solution and this site may be beginning a slow death. Obviously FOX don't give a damn about it.  We should ALL (in mass) jump to another sim site location, IF any of us can find a better place for our baseball management "jones".  That's just my (1 user!) opinion.

9/26/2013 1:09 PM
What I'd like to see Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.