Relief Pitcher BA Topic

Every so often I'll draft a relief pitcher who has a good batting average. For instance there is a George McQuillan who has a .364 avg and I think Mike O'Neill has a .400 avg. these guys only pitched 46 and 48 innings so I'm assuming they only had a handful of at bats as hitters. Should these guys hit their real life averages fairly easily? Just curious what xperiences users have had with such players. I wish there was a way to place such guys in your pinch hitting hierarchy.
11/29/2013 8:45 PM
They won't perform near their RL numbers. If they don't have the requisite minimum PAs they're all treated the same, regardless of RL stats.
11/29/2013 9:54 PM
Thanks Pinot. Do you happen to know what the minimum PA requisite is? If they don't meet the minimum then what?
11/30/2013 6:18 AM
I'm pretty sure it's AB's not PA's and I think it's 50 AB's.
11/30/2013 9:08 AM
I am not entirely sure about this, but I think they way they do it is they add in an "average hitting performance by pitchers" to however many AB you need to get to 50.

So a pitcher who went 1 for 2 would end up looking pretty terrible (average hitting performance by pitchers is very poor), but a pitcher who had 49AB and good stats would in fact hit pretty well.

Again, I am not sure about this, so apologies in advance if this is in fact incorrect.
11/30/2013 11:07 AM
Posted by contrarian23 on 11/30/2013 11:07:00 AM (view original):
I am not entirely sure about this, but I think they way they do it is they add in an "average hitting performance by pitchers" to however many AB you need to get to 50.

So a pitcher who went 1 for 2 would end up looking pretty terrible (average hitting performance by pitchers is very poor), but a pitcher who had 49AB and good stats would in fact hit pretty well.

Again, I am not sure about this, so apologies in advance if this is in fact incorrect.
I think this is correct
11/30/2013 7:48 PM

So basically in order to draft a good hitting pitcher, you probably need to take one who has pitched in say 12 games or more as a starting pitcher.  I see you can search based on the pitcher's batting average, but that is about the only hitting statistic I think you can search for.  I guess cross referencing to baseball reference would help too. 

Have any of you noticed pitchers being inserted in as pinch hitters before?  If you uncheck pinch hitting in advanced settings would they be more apt to be used as a pinch hitter?

12/1/2013 9:18 AM
pitchers won't pinch hit until no hitters are available. If you want them to PH then you have to put your entire bench on rest. only pitchers in the starting rotation will PH and only for other pitchers not for weaker position players. I played this strategy back when pitcher hitting wasn't a factor in their salary. It's hardly worth it because of all you are giving up; no bench and more IP  to keep your pitchers healthy between starts.

Pitchers with fewer than 50 AB never seem to hit well for me. I've heard about average hitting performance but haven't noticed it happening.
12/1/2013 9:32 AM
Posted by ncmusician_7 on 11/30/2013 7:48:00 PM (view original):
Posted by contrarian23 on 11/30/2013 11:07:00 AM (view original):

I think this is correct
Sorry to be late on this I only play a couple times a year so I never saw this thread.  There was a perfect player to do this experiment on, which I did 3 or 4 years ago, 1958 Don Larsen.  49 RL AB.  And he did hit really well (check out his performance history).  To me there is a 90% chance that it is what is said above and say a 10% chance that they use 50 AB/162 as the cutoff(which Larsen was then over).
12/18/2013 8:05 AM
If only the Dodgers could have batted him in that World Series game ! 
12/19/2013 5:02 AM
Relief Pitcher BA Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.