A preliminary report on playing OOTP Baseball Topic

It is the best $20 you will ever spend right now (except, ahem, that engagement ring you got off the truck on Canal Street). 

They have a sale right now for that price and so run to the nearest website and download it. 

It works a lot like Hardball Dynasty, I am not sure who had the interface first. I did not like HBD mainly because the players are fictional and in a league with other people right off the bat you miss deadlines, get confused and frustrated and I gave up after a few weeks. 

But Out of the Park uses a database of all MLB players from 1871 to 2013, plus some minor leagues and international leagues. 

You control the settings if you play as commissioner as well as manager of one of the teams - the computer manages the other teams. You can set up the league to be historical teams, random and randomly distributed players from all eras, or a single season progressive. You can hold a draft of all players to start the league, and also decide to clear all rosters and re-draft. 

The visual is not grand - a far cry from videogames, but engaging enough and building a team playing solitaire and competing is a lot of fun. You can set trades to be difficult to make, easy or average. 

The fatigue works differently, and I am still working that out but it works in a reasonable way so far. You need the 40 man roster (with 15 being in AAA) though so far I have played without a minor league - you can have up to 6 minor leagues, or none at all. You can set divisions or note. 

Koufax is hard to hit. 

Not sure when or if I will play in any of the online leagues, but as a solitaire game it is VERY engaging and entertaining. 
2/13/2014 3:56 AM
Couldn't have said it better Steven!  It is great fun as a solitaire game.  Many a day was spent as a teenager and for several years afterward playing Strat-O-Matic with my buddies and later on the computer.

If I ever get a break from progressive drafts I may attempt one of the online leagues.
2/13/2014 4:43 AM
Posted by italyprof on 2/13/2014 3:56:00 AM (view original):
It is the best $20 you will ever spend right now (except, ahem, that engagement ring you got off the truck on Canal Street). 

They have a sale right now for that price and so run to the nearest website and download it. 

It works a lot like Hardball Dynasty, I am not sure who had the interface first. I did not like HBD mainly because the players are fictional and in a league with other people right off the bat you miss deadlines, get confused and frustrated and I gave up after a few weeks. 

But Out of the Park uses a database of all MLB players from 1871 to 2013, plus some minor leagues and international leagues. 

You control the settings if you play as commissioner as well as manager of one of the teams - the computer manages the other teams. You can set up the league to be historical teams, random and randomly distributed players from all eras, or a single season progressive. You can hold a draft of all players to start the league, and also decide to clear all rosters and re-draft. 

The visual is not grand - a far cry from videogames, but engaging enough and building a team playing solitaire and competing is a lot of fun. You can set trades to be difficult to make, easy or average. 

The fatigue works differently, and I am still working that out but it works in a reasonable way so far. You need the 40 man roster (with 15 being in AAA) though so far I have played without a minor league - you can have up to 6 minor leagues, or none at all. You can set divisions or note. 

Koufax is hard to hit. 

Not sure when or if I will play in any of the online leagues, but as a solitaire game it is VERY engaging and entertaining. 
Thanks for the report.

I poked around the site for a few minutes and there's something I don't understand.  There are some forums advertising for leagues claiming that they were entering the 2017 or 2020 season.  If they use real players, how is this possible?  Is there some sort of age-related simulation of the improvement and decline of real players over time?
2/13/2014 12:19 PM
I don't know. Honestly I have not even looked at the forums yet or any online leagues. Just the solitaire game which is a blast. 

Anyone who has dealt with the OOTP forums know? 
2/13/2014 2:32 PM
you can have drafts with players from random years from real life if you start a current day dynasty, or can you have future drafts with fictional players.
2/13/2014 2:42 PM
cool. Thanks ab90. 
2/13/2014 6:03 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
manhattan?
2/17/2014 10:46 AM
Manhattan. It runs from the Manhattan Bridge (which crosses the East River to Brooklyn) to the Holland Tunnel (which goes under the Hudson River to Hoboken, New Jersey). 

It is the northern border of Chinatown and is famous as a place with little shops and kiosks where you can buy a lot of stuff cheap: clothes, hats, cell phones, etc. 

2/18/2014 4:36 PM (edited)
Ootp baseball has been awesome. I bought it several months ago and now prefer it to WIS. It's led me to thin the herd, so to speak.

To answer barracuda's question, you can start in any season you like and it advances into future years with fictional players. Or you can set it up make historical players appear in the draft.

There is so much to the game that you can do a lot more than has been explained here.
While it can be overwhelming at first it's user friendly and very very customizable.
2/20/2014 1:10 AM
Well put tboy 1975. I agree completely. While so far I have only played solitaire and not online, and only historical leagues, you can do almost anything you can think up. For example create a fantasy league of the 24greatest teams ever, or, load those teams but then randomly sort their players, or make them all free agents and hold an inaugural draft.
2/20/2014 10:32 AM
Is there live play? Do you actually play games?
2/20/2014 2:23 PM
You can sim, watch, or manage games. The graphics are more for information sake than say a video game style.
Basically a baseball icon moving around the diamond to the various names in the field.

See the screen shot below

2/21/2014 12:21 AM (edited)
2/21/2014 12:21 AM
Can more than one person manage/run a team, or is it just solitaire??
2/21/2014 8:29 AM
12 Next ▸
A preliminary report on playing OOTP Baseball Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.