An Open Letter Topic

Dear Friends,

In the last week I’ve almost missed a couple deadlines so I feel I should let you all know what’s happening.  Those of you who have been playing here for a while may remember that pfattkatt and I were going through cancer treatment at the same time; mine went one direction and his, unfortunately, went the other.  In January 2014 my cancer returned; I was given a 50/50 chance of making it to this last January.

Well, I’m not typing this on a Ouija board.  I beat those odds and they even started using the ‘c’ word – cure. Then, two months ago things got nasty.  I’ve been hospitalized twice, and every day is a new adventure. Some days are great (relatively speaking), some are frankly miserable.  Right now, my prognosis is a great shot at Labor Day, Hallowe’en is possible, but bet the under on Christmas.

I’ve actually started playing more Sim than I have in a while – seven teams at a time – as it is a great diversion given all the downtime I have.  I want to be fair to my fellow Simmers, though, and don’t want to have a lot of abandoned teams.  I have a few I’m working on and will continue to look for fun themes (if you know me, you know I’m always looking for random leagues) but think I’ll pass on giving Progressives a try.

It’s hard to believe I’ve been doing this for coming up on ten years (September 6th is my Sim anniversary), and in four days I will play my 70,000th game.  WIS has become a part of my life; my wife even routinely asks me how my teams are doing, and makes WIS references about RL games (“These guys are hitting like one of your SIM teams” – and that’s rarely a compliment).  I look forward to reading your posts – some for information, some for entertainment.  If any of you want to contact me by sitemail, I am very open to talking about what’s happening to me but do not feel that much beyond this post is appropriate for the public forum.

Thanks for a wild ride.  To quote ‘Monty Python and the Holy Grail’, I’m not dead yet and with a lot of luck this entire post will be proven to have been unnecessary.

Pinotfan

PS – and sign up for Spotsell’s Dodgeball theme; I want one more chance flinging the poison pill before I haue shufflel'd off this mortall coile.

5/2/2015 9:34 PM
Dear Pinotfan,

I am saddened by your situation but we can all be uplifted by the spirit in which you are handling it...I hope that the odds will change in your favor.and we will all share a toast with you next year this time...it seems evident that you live a great life..it is important to continue to speak from your heart to the fullest and every day will be like 100 days..you can make these days very valuable..
my very best wishes and thoughts to you and your family.

eric
5/2/2015 10:56 PM
Likewise my friend.

And I should add... I consult to the health care industry... Many of the largest health systems in America are clients... If I can ever be of help connecting you with anyone, anywhere to get a second opinion, another course of treatment, etc, please ask.
5/2/2015 11:13 PM
Best wishes from me too, pinotfan.  You're one of the good guys on this site, and I'm always happy to see you in one of my leagues.  Here's hoping you can get in another 70,000 games.  
5/2/2015 11:35 PM
You have my thoughts and prayers.   Thank you for considering this motley WIS crew among your friends and confidants; please know it can't hurt to have us all pulling for what sounds like a miracle.  Here are my hopes that you are as comfortable as you can be both physically and emotionally during the fight for your life.  
5/3/2015 1:08 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Prayers are with you and your family, Pinotfan...  Continue to fight the good fight.
5/3/2015 9:14 AM
While it may be odd to say "pinotfan" during our nightly family prayers for God's healing touch, rest assured that I'll add you to the list. May your good days be great and your less than good days be brightened by the fact that you've got a whole community thinking about you and hoping for your Christmas gift. Hang in there man.
5/3/2015 9:20 AM
pinotfan, thank you for your courage and honesty in this message to a community of which you are an indispensable and valued member. 

We are all with you. Hang in there. My mother, now 87 has gone through three bouts of cancer and is not only still hanging in there but never misses a Yankees game, and has again gotten back into her daily routine in her assisted living place in a knitting circle, book club and playing Mah Jong (spelling). 

So there is always hope and we are glad to know that WIS is a welcome distraction during hard times, as it has been for many of us in one way or another. 

And remember wine is good for you. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Even Merlot. Definitely Pinot.
5/3/2015 9:29 AM
Prayers out continually to you and your family pinotfan.
5/3/2015 12:29 PM
Being fairly new to the baseball sim, I've been in a few leagues with you and you are definitely one tough son-of-a-gun to play against, especially in the dodgeball leagues. Here's hoping and praying you can be that same tough s.o.b. against cancer. God bless pinot!
5/3/2015 7:37 PM
Checking the forums on an almost daily basis there are a relatively few people whose posts prompt me to open and read. You are certainly one of them. I always felt it worthwhile to check out what you have to say. This one though blew me away with your brutal honesty and unbelievable courage. I'm not the kind of guy to pray or even believe that anything I pray about will be acknowledged but I will make an exception here and send my words of prayer. You are a swell guy and this is a bum rap. I wish you well...
5/4/2015 9:18 AM
I raise a glass of pinot to you, Pinotfan! All my best as you fight the good fight.

And if any of you who've posted here haven't signed up for the next round of Dodgeball, what are you waiting for?! The man wants to play dodgeball, so dammit, let's play some dodgeball!

5/4/2015 11:36 AM

That's a tough break pinot... just know you've got a cadre of sim brethren pulling for ye.

5/4/2015 12:49 PM
I'll take the over.   Stay strong man!
5/4/2015 1:22 PM
123 Next ▸
An Open Letter Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.