Reactionary posts Topic

Posted by jetwildcat on 3/4/2016 4:56:00 PM (view original):

i think the first half of your points actually agree with me? not sure, but ill respond to one of the devil's advocates one.

the thing about luck... yes, its worse for top coaches. i obviously agree, you could probably find 100 posts where i talk about in team setup and game planning, how volatility is enemy #1 for top teams. of course top teams seek to minimize the impact luck has on their outcomes. but, that doesn't mean luck is good for the masses.

look at the history of luck-driven events in this game. dilemmas - massive disaster (granted, for a myriad of reasons). EEs - people have complained about the luck without pause for 10+ years. injuries - they've been toned down to a cat's meow of what they once were, due to complaints about luck. hell, even the sim engine gets complaints, about the outlier results. its enough that seble introduced feedback, to reduce very unlikely scenarios from taking place.

the history is clear - the kinds of coaches that play HD, don't want their success and failure predicated on events that are largely RNG driven. its almost paradoxical, given the underlying nature of any simulation is repeated coin flipping. but, it is what it is. making it so a guy can spend 10,000 on a player, and another guy can spend 50,000 (using the same 5:1 ratio from the dev chat), and the 10K guy still has a non-0 chance of winning - that will never fly with this crowd. it doesn't matter if you are a+ or d+, that would drive just about anyone bat **** crazy. leveling the playing field shouldn't be about randomly screwing people over hard enough that nobody can really get ahead. it should be organic. before seble wrecked recruit gen, mid majors were very successful in d1, way more than in real life, that was the least of anyone's worries. the complaints came from the other side. introducing luck-driven equalizers is not the answer.

i agree that if one guy spends 49K, and the other spends 50K, it should not be a 0/100% chance of winning, respectively (assuming those are effort points, adjusted for prestige and all). from the minute seble announced signings would have a random element, it was condemned, and i immediately supported it. i think its crazy a guy spends 1 dollar more on a tens of thousands of dollars scale, and wins 100%. but, its even more crazy for a guy to outspend another 5:1 and potentially be able to lose. this isn't real life where you have many targets and can run 6-7 men. so, if a battle is close, give the underdog a chance, and if the battle isn't close, don't. i honestly thought that would be intuitively obvious to everybody, i am genuinely somewhat stunned seble came out and said a 5:1 battle could go to the 1 guy...

If in a 50k:10k battle you give the 1 guy 0% chance of winning, he has wasted that 10k. Most likely, for the 10k guy, that 10k is a pretty high % of his budget, too. Now, 10k guys has nothing for it.

If you are spreading the odds roughly proportionally to all contributors, you are ensuring that every dollar spent has value. you're getting balls in a lottery, which is at least SOMETHING, even if it doesn't materialize into a player.

They key is: you need to spread your odds out among multiple players. NEED to. Want 1 recruit? get your odds on the good enough players to add up, and you'll be fine in the long run. Better than trying to get one guy under the current system, having someone come over top, and you losing everything you've put in. The beauty of an odds system is that, over the long haul, it all balances out. All-pay auctions, on the other hand, do not.

You didn't touch on my other point. There's a survivor's bias here. This 'crowd' are the 'haves' that had enough success to keep playing the game.

There's nobody on here like "this game isn't fun, i'm getting my *** kicked, i'm gonna stop playing...but i will continue to post on the forums all the time and participate in dev chats to get the game better. because if the game is better, i'll play again.

"Haves" always care more about keeping what's theirs than about gaining something new. It's like the freakanomics Duke basketball ticket example. You can't break the A+ dynasties up without risking the C-schools taking some back from the B's.

The system you describe previously, where mid-majors were competitive...they were competitive by complete accident. The ratings system was broken. It's like the texas sharpshooter fallacy - you can't look at something you did in the past, pick a bullet hole, draw a target around it, and call yourself a sharpshooter. The ratings system needed an update, and so did recruiting, and so did many other aspects of the game. Continuous improvement is what we need here. Old system balanced mid majors? fuckin wonderful, chalk it up, we can do better.

If someone feels like all the effort they've put into the game is about to be taken away by the intro of random chance...consider them the B+ school that dumped 40k on a recruit named HD where an A+ is about to swoop in...

(the analogy needs work but i think there's something profound there)
several things.

your first point is a soccer mom argument, if i've ever heard one. yes, if you spend 10k in a battle you have no chance of winning, in a system like today's, you lose it. i see zero problem with that. that is a feature, not a bug. good decisions should be rewarded, bad ones should be penalized. you say, when you assign a proportional probability off of each player, it all evens out in the long run - like that is a good thing! why not just generate everybody equally talented players for everyone?

a system where i have to go for 3 guards, when i need 1, each with 1/3rd chance of signing, sounds incredibly terrible. the chances i sign exactly one (assuming i offered all scholarships, for simplicity sake) is 44%. so, 56% of the time something ****** happens, either i get nobody, or i can get stuck with more than i need. i suppose its personal preference, but that sounds terrible to me.

i agree with you, that there is a negative aspect to the community, especially with respect to changes that are made. i disagree with you about the reason. sure, some folks do it, like dacj (im sure he doesn't mind me saying, we co-coach, and he's always measuring possibilities against his own situation). but, that is not the wide majority. about the worst thing you could do, for the haves, is to flatten recruit gen, to take away the incredible talent gap enjoyed by top d1 schools - something this game hasn't seen since the times when about 5 people per world knew about pulldowns. many of those most vocally against the changes today, have been beating seble over the head for 5 years, about fixing recruit gen.

look - i am not going to deny some folks, sometimes including myself, are overly negative. but, its NOT that we are against all change. we've lived through two major updates that caused mass havoc on this game - while smaller updates, such as seble's potential fix (slowing the rate of growth) and seble's projection report / seeding update (the two best updates in my time in HD), have been quite effective. the successful long timers who are anti update, are virtually all for some other major changes, generally always including a recruit gen fix. so, i reject its all selfish, as you suggest. that is a factor for some folks, but its just one piece of a much larger equation.

let me hazard one other reason, that most of the game's most successful coaches have a relatively similar take on how to fix this inequity - maybe it has something to do with our underlying understanding of how this game works. i hate making statements like this, but i see no way around it: nobody disputes that i can look at any situation in this game, and predict how it would play out, way above where virtually anybody else can. nobody disputes that i can consider one real setup, and explain the hypothetical outcomes that would result from a wide variety of changes, far better than most. how is examining changes to the underlying system any different? the truth is, the reason that many vets strongly maintain their opinions on this subject, is because we believe we have a good understanding of this problem, and how to fix it. we've been on this problem for ages, warning about it since it went into beta. and even though we've yelled about this, far louder than any other issue, for 5 years, we've been ignored, and had to watch as the game we love was destroyed. so yeah, i'm bitter. this is not a hard problem. it should have been fixed 5 years ago. so yeah, i'm ******. that's why.

anyway, final note. your point about drawing a hole around a gun shot, and calling it a bulls eye - its a total straw man. by your logic, in any imperfect system, you can draw no correlations, no conclusions from apparent cause-effect relationships. nice try, but its total BS! besides, you are acting like i am saying that system was perfect. of course it wasn't! that's why we pushed for changes! the core request from vets went something like this - "cut back on elite players to make star players sort of exit, boost iq of some youngsters to make actual star freshman, institute some form of national recruiting for top players to add competition (really angling for a moat around our advantage there, eh?), and make promises actually mean something". what we got was, a complete mangling of recruit gen, which directly impacts this inequality situation. are there other contributors? of course! i never suggested there weren't. what i'm saying is, the reality that this d1 inequality issue is only an issue in this version of the game, with the reverse being an issue for much longer, suggests that sensible, calculated, controlled changes should be considered first - that we don't have to jump to totally chopping the game up, introducing these massive luck driven events. the strawman misses my point by about a mile.
3/4/2016 9:39 PM (edited)
Posted by jetwildcat on 3/4/2016 9:31:00 PM (view original):
Posted by jeffdrayer on 3/4/2016 8:48:00 PM (view original):
My two cents:

The more things that are determined by "luck," the fewer things that are determined by "being good." In all things in life, all any person strives for is control. Every advance in the world -- be it sports, technology, culture, everything -- is created to decrease the role of luck in our daily lives.

We don't think about it, but we abhor the concept of luck. Yes, we enjoy when we get lucky. But we hate being unlucky. The magnitude of crushing disappointment associated with being unlucky far outweighs the magnitude of joy at being lucky. Therefore, adding luck to a game where it's not necessary will only continue to create over time a greater amount of negative feeling than positive feeling.

Life is hard enough. People play a game because they would like one place in their life where their hard work and intelligence nets a proportionally large reward. Not because they want yet something else besides their job, marriage, kids, other people's kids, world events, politics, the weather, the economy, etc that's left to the winds of chance.

There's a reason we're basketball fans, and not fans of the National Coin Flip League.

Any time you add luck where it's not necessary is a bad idea.
"Luck" is the only way for a simulation to implement variance...at least without implementing some crazy cellular automata-type system.

As basketball fans, if we knew the better team was going to win 100% of the time, we wouldn't watch. There is variance involved. How else could you explain why player's don't 'always make' or 'always miss' free throws?

Managing luck involves MORE skill than managing certainties.

Without some level of luck, most of us would never have even a chance at winning a national title in HD. No suspense. No excitement.

I'm not necessarily arguing that more luck is always better. I'm saying it, in and of itself, is not a bad thing. Like a dressing on your salad. Boring without it, a soup with too much.
I'm just posting again to give you props for that great salad analogy. You make some good points on the thing I am probably most concerned about.
3/4/2016 9:37 PM
Posted by jetwildcat on 3/4/2016 9:31:00 PM (view original):
My two cents:

The more things that are determined by "luck," the fewer things that are determined by "being good." In all things in life, all any person strives for is control. Every advance in the world -- be it sports, technology, culture, everything -- is created to decrease the role of luck in our daily lives.

We don't think about it, but we abhor the concept of luck. Yes, we enjoy when we get lucky. But we hate being unlucky. The magnitude of crushing disappointment associated with being unlucky far outweighs the magnitude of joy at being lucky. Therefore, adding luck to a game where it's not necessary will only continue to create over time a greater amount of negative feeling than positive feeling.

Life is hard enough. People play a game because they would like one place in their life where their hard work and intelligence nets a proportionally large reward. Not because they want yet something else besides their job, marriage, kids, other people's kids, world events, politics, the weather, the economy, etc that's left to the winds of chance.

There's a reason we're basketball fans, and not fans of the National Coin Flip League.

"Luck" is the only way for a simulation to implement variance...at least without implementing some crazy cellular automata-type system.

As basketball fans, if we knew the better team was going to win 100% of the time, we wouldn't watch. There is variance involved. How else could you explain why player's don't 'always make' or 'always miss' free throws?

Managing luck involves MORE skill than managing certainties.

Without some level of luck, most of us would never have even a chance at winning a national title in HD. No suspense. No excitement.

I'm not necessarily arguing that more luck is always better. I'm saying it, in and of itself, is not a bad thing. Like a dressing on your salad. Boring without it, a soup with too much.
slow down there tiger - you are changing the argument now. is the need for more variance, or more equality? those are NOT the same thing. there is a lot of variance in this game. except for a dozen or two shorts bursts (some of which should be expected by random chance), championships in each division in each world are won by a wide variety of people. this isn't a game where the top 5 guys are winning all the titles.

variance also does nothing to improve the mean (average) outcome. so, you think mid majors would be happy, if they won 1 of 10 titles (as a group) because the game was more about luck - but conversely, their down seasons, when luck swung the other way, they were considerably more screwed than today? no, becomes their average outcome would still be ****. what this game needs is more equality. the mean, not the variance, needs to shift.

i don't disagree with your salad analogy - its just irrelevant. i don't disagree that luck is the way to introduce variance - its just irrelevant. the problem here is equality, not variance. we need strategic fixes here, to address real problems.
3/4/2016 9:49 PM

i agree with you, that there is a negative aspect to the community, especially with respect to changes that are made. i disagree with you about the reason. sure, some folks do it, like dacj (im sure he doesn't mind me saying, we co-coach, and he's always measuring possibilities against his own situation)

maybe I'm just too : what does this mean?
3/4/2016 9:54 PM
Posted by dacj501 on 3/4/2016 9:54:00 PM (view original):

i agree with you, that there is a negative aspect to the community, especially with respect to changes that are made. i disagree with you about the reason. sure, some folks do it, like dacj (im sure he doesn't mind me saying, we co-coach, and he's always measuring possibilities against his own situation)

pretty sure it means you ate mushrooms
3/4/2016 9:59 PM
Posted by gillispie1 on 3/4/2016 9:59:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dacj501 on 3/4/2016 9:54:00 PM (view original):

pretty sure it means you ate mushrooms
not...recently...
3/4/2016 10:00 PM
is "cool"?!
3/4/2016 10:04 PM
Posted by pallas on 3/4/2016 10:04:00 PM (view original):
is "cool"?!
is it? I was looking for "wasted"
3/4/2016 10:06 PM
I will certainly reserve judgement until after I try the new program. That said, one thing I don't like is that it appears all 1 day worlds will be on the same schedule and all 2 a day worlds will be on the same schedule. I like the fact that with 4 teams, I almost always have something going on. Now I'm staring 5 days or so in face each season where I'll probably be out of the tournament and have to sit through jobs will all my teams. Long story short, I like the staggered schedules.
I will admit I had a different picture of what this was going to be. I thought guys were going to have certain preferences that were going to boost the chances of certain schools (especially mid-majors) to get guys, not that it was just going to be luck. For example, I thought a player would want to play for a mid-major, which would give their recruiting dollars an X% boost. Then I thought they would have a certain offense and defense they might prefer, which would boost recruiting dollars of those teams y%. Throw in favorite school, distance preferences, guaranteed starts and minutes, and mid-major would be able to battle for certain guys because they would have boosts to even the playing field. Obviously I was wrong.
3/4/2016 10:06 PM
Posted by dacj501 on 3/4/2016 10:06:00 PM (view original):
Posted by pallas on 3/4/2016 10:04:00 PM (view original):
is "cool"?!
is it? I was looking for "wasted"
If you mouseover the smileys, it tells you what they are. Supposedly.
3/4/2016 10:07 PM
So my response to the changes is so far
3/4/2016 10:08 PM
If distance becomes less of a factor that could actually help D1, IMO. Right now, UCLA will virtually never battle UK or Duke (except maybe for an international). If distance becomes more negligible that could possibly pit more top schools against each other in recruiting.

One of the bigger problems in D1 is the lack of battles among the elites. If more A+ schools battled there would likely be more good 3 and 4 star recruits going to mid majors and getting more talent to the mid major schools is sorely needed.

(Trying to find some sort of light in what otherwise seems like a mess...)
3/4/2016 10:29 PM
I again welcome change but at what cost? As Seble said it's not really in the budget to advertise in any other way than what they've been doing...what they've been doing isn't working! I haven't played nearly as long as a lot of you guys and no I've never experienced a major upgrade so this will be my first and hopefully it's not the end of HD. I have played here long enough to know that the gm can be much better in a lot of ways and most of them are the same ideas/changes as everyone else. The biggest problem with recruiting is the recruiting gen itself. I'm glad to see gillespie mention Iq's because I just talked about the same thing in phelan on my cc....Iq's are weighted too heavy( All freshman should not suck this f****ing bad!) and the fact that ANY freshman is an f rated in sets such as m2m & zone( I started learning these in little lg ) is just plain dumb and it's also the reason why we are restricted to play 1 set our entire careers. There are several more that can be discussed but I would just be wasting time and I'm tired. My biggest fear is that some coaches that have played for years that don't get to beta test for whatever reason ( Seble did say they would take as many as they can...how many is that? ) get screwed either because of luck or maybe they just don't catch on as quick as they need to and get ****** and leave. Again even if this is turns out as a great upgrade WE will lose coaches....What's the plan then to replace them? Crossing my fingers!
3/5/2016 12:06 AM
My two cents:

I do agree with this. At first, I thought the idea of someone being in the lead but not having them always win was an interesting concept, but I think the thrill of winning three battles like this would be outweighed in my mind by the one time I lost a recruit I wanted really badly and was ahead on. This could be eliminated if it was not totally clear who was ahead on a recruit. For example, if there were 5 degrees of interest by a recruit. If two schools were listed at the highest degree of interest by a prospect and 3 were at the second highest, the solution could be that the recruit will sign with one of those two schools. But neither one would know which one was truly ahead. The other three would know that they needed to do more recruiting, or that they should probably give up.

Other than that, I personally really like the sound of the changes. I think that as many people as possible should BETA test. The one thing I love is that it seems like the days of "poaching" are going to be over, to some degree, at least with respect to the ability of someone to come in at 8 PM on signing day and do 200 home visits.

I am super excited about the changes, as long as Seble listens to the BETA testers. If 80% of the testers hate a certain idea, then I am hoping he listens to the suggestions.

One goal for many of us is that more human coaches join. It sounded like they were going to be contacting past coaches once the update is released, and hopefully offering them a free season. Perhaps, many of the old coaches will come back and want to give the game another shot.
3/5/2016 12:27 AM
RE "If 80% of the testers hate a certain idea, then I am hoping he listens to the suggestions."

Shoot, 98% of the posters in the forums hate the whole thing and they haven't even sniffed it. I, too, hope that this guy Seble listens to reason about proposed tweaks suggested by the testers, but not liking something just because it's different seems to be the pattern so far.
3/5/2016 12:38 AM
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8|9|10...15 Next ▸
Reactionary posts Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.