The Beta -- a blog Topic

Posted by arssanguinus on 6/10/2016 6:38:00 PM (view original):
Posted by the0nlyis on 6/10/2016 6:29:00 PM (view original):
Posted by a_in_the_b on 6/10/2016 6:07:00 PM (view original):
Posted by the0nlyis on 6/7/2016 11:26:00 AM (view original):
Posted by a_in_the_b on 6/7/2016 6:30:00 AM (view original):
So only, it's perfectly alright for you to slam and refuse to accept this update being anything but 95% crap? 'Remove the plank from your own eye before complaining about the mote in someone else's,'. You think the only opinion anyone has a right to hold on the update is yours?
don't you have a chair to kick out from underneath your noose?
Refusal to answer noted.

whew worried you actually listened and did kick the chair out with how long that response took.

answer what?

my opinion is the only one? if you've read the forums I'm doing more than just being an ******* at times.... making it clear i'm not just shouting give me what i want even though you might think it is... im not tarvolon for christ sake whinning about superclasses and only wanting parity when it helps me
You seem to be horribly offended that anyone dares disagree with you or like the update. As if the mere existence of someone liking it somehow is a mortal offense.
nope i just get horribly offended by anything you post.

i'm fine if people like the update, I do think its annoying when someone who doesn't know how to play the game blindly thinks its good and believe seble is good and knows what he is doing
6/10/2016 7:02 PM
Posted by the0nlyis on 6/10/2016 6:35:00 PM (view original):
rednu any chance you could share the potentials of thplayers you brought in would be really interesting to see the talent and compare if the ranked players are just ranked players that right now just get ignored at D1 and end up getting picked up by a D1 sim since you can't pull them down right now or is this really good talent people are just not finding

for the 3 hor cycles I forget how long recruiting lasts in season but would 3 8 hour cycles work better. like 6 am 2 pm and 10 pm or even just 2 12 hour cycles at 2 am and pm to not make it as important to be checking in all the time during the season too
Let me know if you can see the potential for THIS player and, if so, I can add the others.

Green is an example of a player who, talent-wise, I would normally be able to get at UMSL. He grades out after potentials to a level that I commonly sign kids to with my A/A+ prestige and would be a kid that I would expect to find a comparable body to within the current system, even with a C prestige. The notable difference is that this SPECIFIC kid is someone I would never be able to recruit under the current system because of his positional rating -- it's too high and he'd never return a phone call. I have access to him under the beta model, which means it's going to be easier for me to find kids that grade out at my normal levels vs. having to scour under rocks and wait for dropdowns to achieve the same opportunity.
6/10/2016 7:02 PM
no i can't see potentials from links unfortunately.

6/10/2016 7:04 PM
Posted by the0nlyis on 6/10/2016 7:02:00 PM (view original):
Posted by arssanguinus on 6/10/2016 6:38:00 PM (view original):
Posted by the0nlyis on 6/10/2016 6:29:00 PM (view original):
Posted by a_in_the_b on 6/10/2016 6:07:00 PM (view original):
Posted by the0nlyis on 6/7/2016 11:26:00 AM (view original):
Posted by a_in_the_b on 6/7/2016 6:30:00 AM (view original):
So only, it's perfectly alright for you to slam and refuse to accept this update being anything but 95% crap? 'Remove the plank from your own eye before complaining about the mote in someone else's,'. You think the only opinion anyone has a right to hold on the update is yours?
don't you have a chair to kick out from underneath your noose?
Refusal to answer noted.

whew worried you actually listened and did kick the chair out with how long that response took.

answer what?

my opinion is the only one? if you've read the forums I'm doing more than just being an ******* at times.... making it clear i'm not just shouting give me what i want even though you might think it is... im not tarvolon for christ sake whinning about superclasses and only wanting parity when it helps me
You seem to be horribly offended that anyone dares disagree with you or like the update. As if the mere existence of someone liking it somehow is a mortal offense.
nope i just get horribly offended by anything you post.

i'm fine if people like the update, I do think its annoying when someone who doesn't know how to play the game blindly thinks its good and believe seble is good and knows what he is doing
So only championship winners are valid customers? The majority of players in the game are not championship winners. Should their opinions not count?

6/10/2016 7:11 PM
Posted by the0nlyis on 6/10/2016 7:04:00 PM (view original):
no i can't see potentials from links unfortunately.

Well crud...and it doesn't appear I can just screen shot and attach them as the image tool only allows for a URL source.
6/10/2016 7:16 PM
Potential abbreviations -- HH = high-high/green, LH = low high/blue, A = average/black, L = low/yellow, N = none/red

Gregory Green (SG #120)
ATH: 40 (HH), SPD 52 (LH), REB 22 (N), DEF 43 (LH), BLK 12 (A), LP 19 (HH), PER 39 (A), BH 61 (L), PASS 50 (A), WE 32, STAM 78 (A), DUR 46 (HH...not that anyone cares), FT B- (L).

Again, not a world-beater and certainly not an SG, which might explain the lack of interest I suppose. But he'll look good as an SF at D2.

Frank Keys (SG #139)
ATH: 51 (L), SPD 36 (HH), REB 18 (N), DEF 39 (A), BLK 10 (A), LP 15 (HH), PER 51 (HH), BH 41 (HH), PASS 50 (A), WE 71, STAM 75 (A), DUR 50 (HH), FT C+ (A).

Another player who, under the current system, I probably eventually could have eventually found a comparable body to, but who, like Green, would not have been an option at UMSL under the current system due to his positional ranking. This is a kid that a Sim D1 program would eventually end up with under the current system who isn't going to be there under the beta system because people like me will be feasting on them from lower divisions. He also signed one minute after I withdrew my scholarship offer, in the ultimate of ironies.

David Johnson (SF #109)
ATH 56 (N), SPD 45 (HH), REB 12 (LH), DEF 54 (A), BLK 11 (LH), LP 49 (L), PER 30 (HH), BH 41 (HH), PASS 50 (L), WE 37, STAM 60 (HH), DUR 66 (N), FT D+ (LH)

Same song, third verse. Doesn't grade out at a level higher than anything I sign at UMSL with an A/A+ prestige. He just didn't require the level of work to get. He literally signed for just the scholarship offer. I didn't even allocate AP's to him.

Mario Taylor (PF #119)
ATH 46 (A), SPD 24 (HH), REB 47 (A), DEF 29 (LH), BLK 47 (L), LP 55 (HH), PER 11 (HH), BH 35 (L), PASS 44 (L), WE 76, STAM 64 (A), DUR 58 (L), FT C (LH)

Signed for a scholarship offer and 19 AP's. Not a great PF, but a functional SF/PF flex sort of player who can eat backup minutes at both positions after the Defense develops into the 40s.

Antonio Harrison (SF -- JUCO 2)
ATH 62 (N), SPD 40 (A), REB 45 (L), DEF 40 (LH), BLK 25 (N), LP 32 (A), PER 50 (L), BH 40 (HH), PASS 49 (LH), WE 45, STA 65 (A), DUR 99 (N...anyone want to lay odds on him suffering a catastrophic injury?), FT C- (A)

Of all the players that I signed, Harrison is the one that I feel I would probably have had immediate access to at UMSL under the current system. I mainly grabbed him because I wanted to balance my classes to get out from the 6-senior superclass model the beta team was in. The story here is how easy it was to get him, because even though he's a modest player this is NOT the sort of recruit I would expect to be able to walk on to and grab well into the signing window without fuss. In the beta world, however, I found him with zero interested parties, offered him a scholarship and 10 AP's and now he's mine for 2 seasons. Zero recruiting dollars spent...I can't even find a crappy JUCO-2 player most years that I can sign for a bare minimum investment in the "real" game.

Joshua Beilstein (C - JUCO-2)
ATH 80 (L), SPD 29 (L), REB 71 (A), DEF 77 (LH), BLK 56 (HH), LP 69 (N), PER 16 (HH), BH 32 (A), PASS 46 (L), WE 19, STAM 63 (N), DUR 61 (HH), FT D+ (L).

I don't know how cheap I could have gotten him for. Since one "need" area I had in recruiting was an upperclass post player, I actually played this one pretty aggressive and threw 40 AP's at him and made a 15-minute promise straight out of the gate, adding a campus visit when that became available. I'm not sure I necessarily needed to do any of that because. We can argue that he may or may not show as a D2 JUCO recruit under the current system (my gut is that he would be listed under D1, but I don't JUCO shop enough to have as accurate a feel there). If he DID start on the D2 list, however, he's darn sure a player that I wouldn't have to myself. I would have had to fight for him.

So is this a team of all-stars -- absolutely not. It is a collection of players, however, that were right here all along for me that I barely had to spend to get...who are comparable to the guys I bust my butt to find and entice with my current UMSL team...and most of whom probably would have wound up on smaller D1 school rosters under the current recruiting system.
6/10/2016 8:04 PM
I had signed up for the beta, but could not pay attention to it when launched. Just spent an hour trying to see how it works. My conclusion - lots of stupid extra work to do the same things. Multiple extra clicks to see known information. Inability to sort data even at the rudimentary level available in existing game

Good luck all - a really good game taken in a direction that does not address its issues and makes it less appealing in my opinion.

HD could have been a great thing - with even TINY marketing effort by Fox and with ANY meaningful attention to small fixes over a period of YEARS in which the game was left as is. There were a ton of useful EASY SIMPLE suggestions on small improvements.

All ignored.

Instead we get this FUBAR new game

out
6/11/2016 10:11 AM
When does recruiting end in beta?
6/11/2016 10:21 AM
It's different. If you don't want to change your approach to the game you won't like it.
6/11/2016 10:50 AM
Posted by beachhouse on 6/11/2016 10:21:00 AM (view original):
When does recruiting end in beta?
Next week some time. It hasn't been finalized
6/11/2016 10:51 AM
I still haven't signed anybody. I don't think the idea of players waiting and waiting is a good idea. It has to be some sort of time where they sign.
6/11/2016 11:01 AM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 6/11/2016 10:50:00 AM (view original):
It's different. If you don't want to change your approach to the game you won't like it.
the execution is stupid

the concept is different and interesting

requiring more clicks to see who else is considered - no benefit, only detriment

light grey print on white background - dumb

inability to sort - dumb

6/11/2016 11:28 AM
fd343ny - They are constantly changing things. They have already adjusted colors once, and numerous other things have been adjusted. I'd give it a try for a bit. I am seeing some who were not in favor originally starting to come around. I don't think an hour is enough time to make a good judgement on it yet. Plus, you got a really late start and it would be really discouraging to start after signings in the current world as well. At least with the Beta, some players are programmed to want to wait until late to sign, so you may still have a shot at some decent talent. But, I'd give it a bit of time before you decide. There are some really solid suggestions by a lot of coaches on how to improve it, and I do see a willingness on Seble's part to make tweaks that will make this very appealing.

I wasn't around at the time when potential was introduced, but from what I have read, a lot of coaches were resistant to that change, and that was a good one. If you enjoy HD, I'd definitely give it a try because you may end up really liking it once you get used to it.
6/11/2016 1:25 PM
I cant even read the headings on the ratings columns. It is impossible for me to play the game for now - someone had made the good suggestion of testing how a late start works - which I was ready to do. If you cant read the labels in Chrome or IE, I cant play
6/11/2016 1:42 PM
I can read the labels on chrome, That's what I am using. That's so strange.
6/11/2016 1:57 PM
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8|9|10...16 Next ▸
The Beta -- a blog Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.