recruiting time chatter - where's the line? Topic

So its recruiting time. I'm in a "battle" over an international player with a school that I have a 2 step prestige advantage over.  Signings have begun, and the other coach continues to put in effort, although I am still in the lead.  Thing is, I had 6 open scholarships to his 3 up front. Every time he gains even a little, I just throw another HV on the recruit and next time I get the equivalent of the "wish i could sign now" message, although in somewhat racially offensive pidgin.

Is there anything that I could say on the CC like, hey coach X, you know that I had twice as many open slots, or something like that, just to remind him what he should realize - he can't win? Or should I just say nothing and let him dribble away his last dimes?

11/30/2010 11:10 PM
Some people learn best from experience. I would let him waste his money and more than likely after he loses the player he will think twice before trying something like that again.
11/30/2010 11:31 PM
You want the Big 10 to suck at recruiting.  So do whatever you think would maximize a) the chance of you signing the recruit, b) the chance of him blowing his entire bankroll, and c) the chance of him not learning a lesson from it.
11/30/2010 11:35 PM
I agree with Ed, I'd let him learn from his mistake without saying anything.  If you say something, it will come off as an attempt at intimidation (even though you're actually trying to help the guy).
12/1/2010 6:44 AM
fair enough...I'll try to sitemail him for a post-mortum after its over...
12/1/2010 1:02 PM

if you say anything during recruiting be careful that well intentioned words of advice dont sound - or cant be read as - threats - some folks can get real bent out of shape and it can be hard to tell whether words are a smiling warning/advice or a condescending threat

and watch out for collusion or anything that someone could read as proposing agreement

12/1/2010 1:52 PM
Posted by mamxet on 12/1/2010 1:52:00 PM (view original):

if you say anything during recruiting be careful that well intentioned words of advice dont sound - or cant be read as - threats - some folks can get real bent out of shape and it can be hard to tell whether words are a smiling warning/advice or a condescending threat

and watch out for collusion or anything that someone could read as proposing agreement

yeah, I was conscious of all that, its why I ultimately came here for advice...I guess its best to err on the side of ultimate caution in these things...
12/1/2010 2:44 PM
i forget if i was looking at the right recruit but didn't he end up getting the guy over you??
12/1/2010 5:37 PM
yup, just did. I'll be posting an new thread about it momentarily.  Btw, are you an alt of the other guy or just really interested in this outcome?
12/1/2010 5:46 PM
no i'm not his alt i just thought it was comical.
12/1/2010 6:16 PM
kid just signed at 5 - helluva coincidence, but either way, yup, its pretty funny - not the signing, I am still trying to get that (maybe I just suck at recruiting battles...I dunno) but the nature of the thread...I really did think this one was a no-brainer though - goes to show you never stop learning...
12/1/2010 6:34 PM
its always better to spend to much on a guy you really want then not enough.
12/1/2010 6:52 PM
Posted by joshj87 on 12/1/2010 6:52:00 PM (view original):
its always better to spend to much on a guy you really want then not enough.
lesson learned...kid will be great too...I'll be kicking myself for a while for losing this one (although it will ultimately make me a better recruiter - experience is a great teacher)
12/1/2010 6:55 PM
recruiting time chatter - where's the line? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.