A recruiting guide for New Coaches Topic

We both were on the guy pretty much right away.  I don't have the time-itemized list of kmason's actions, but he does have mine, so he'll have to answer the question confirming that I didn't need the last 2 HVs I sent.  I just know I was leading before I sent them, sent them to fend off any more action, but it seems likely that he was actually out of money based on what was said after the battle ended.  He'll have to confirm for sure that I didn't need to send those, though.
4/19/2011 2:08 PM
He signed at 11 AM on the 2nd day of signings.  I would definitely say 10% is likely an overestimation.
4/19/2011 2:12 PM
Again, I will refer all new coaches to item #5 in my post on page 2 of this thread.  Please take it seriously since the topic of that post has decided to hijack and attempt to ruin what is otherwise a very helpful thread for new coaches looking for info on recruiting.
4/19/2011 8:41 PM
billyg, he signed at the 11am cycle the day after signings began. I was on him after the 1st cylce I think dahs jumped on him the 2nd cycle?  I fell behind for good at the 2am cylce the day of signings but it was still close at 5am I got another email from the player I guess informing me that I was well behind. So it's 1 of 2 things, prestige is completely meaningless at D3 in terms of battles or evals are worth WAY more than any of us realized.
4/19/2011 9:50 PM

Did one of you maybe jump on him just a bit HARDER early?

4/19/2011 10:20 PM
Probably kmason since I had to pull him down before I started sending HVs.
4/19/2011 11:05 PM

" I don't have the time-itemized list of kmason's actions, but he does have mine, so he'll have to answer the question confirming that I didn't need the last 2 HVs I sent. "

Is this something that was volunteered after the battle?  Or am I missing something?  How does he know "your" time-itemized actions? 
4/21/2011 10:23 PM
Posted by _hannibal_ on 4/13/2011 3:20:00 PM (view original):
Looks like everybody has forgotten about zhawks guide: www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx

Who?  Oh wait, that guy who hasn't played in a year?  Hmmm....
4/21/2011 10:56 PM
Skinndogg, after the recruiting period we sent each other our recruiting efforts to judge the affects of prestige. He copy and pasted from the "history" tab while I just told him my total effort.
4/21/2011 11:55 PM
Posted by kmasonbx on 4/19/2011 9:51:00 PM (view original):
billyg, he signed at the 11am cycle the day after signings began. I was on him after the 1st cylce I think dahs jumped on him the 2nd cycle?  I fell behind for good at the 2am cylce the day of signings but it was still close at 5am I got another email from the player I guess informing me that I was well behind. So it's 1 of 2 things, prestige is completely meaningless at D3 in terms of battles or evals are worth WAY more than any of us realized.
how do you value evals? 3 evals = 1hv is a good rule of thumb 
4/24/2011 5:21 PM
Bump because I've gotten a few inboxes regarding the guide from new coaches
6/1/2011 11:21 PM
About 10 months old but bumping this back to the front page to see if anybody finds it helpful still in an attempt to keep and help new coaches.
2/12/2012 8:46 PM
This is the guide that got me where I am today. Thanks again mjp!
2/12/2012 9:50 PM
This needs to stay at the top, no question about it.
2/12/2012 10:03 PM
Pretty good guide. Good nuggets in there.

But you know... some things should be left for folks to figure out.

This guide is NOT the only way to recruit. It's not necessarily the best either.

For instance. especially if you are in D3, I think the best approach is to not spend one single dime on anything (FSS, calls, etc). Don't spend one single dime... until 2 cycles before signings... then look around at the players that are < 360 miles from you who are considering teams who are obviously overextended in their recruiting effort. Pump a bunch of evals and a scholly offer into him. He'll consider you the next cycle. Then sign with you the cycle after that.

Why spend a bunch of wasted money on FSS, evals, etc when someone else can do that for you?

D1 it's the opposite. FSS. Dump all your money the 1st cycle. Then wait.

D2 is somewhere in between.

Just saying...
2/13/2012 12:53 PM
◂ Prev 1...3|4|5|6|7 Next ▸
A recruiting guide for New Coaches Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.