Scouting Trips - Ridiculousness Topic

I know I'm not the first to bring this up, but the recent recruiting period in Rupp really reminded me of the total lack of control we have here.  Obviously these are important information sources at all levels.  I only play D2 and D1 at this point, but I've got to imagine it's an issue at D3 as well with the lack of funds for FSS.  Even with FSS, scouting trips can help make an educated decision between similar recruits.

How many times do I need a scouting trip to report back that a center with 1 PER has low, average or high potential?  Especially considering his ATH, SPD, REB, LP, DEF and SB are in question?  I am tired of doing 5-7 scouting trips (I recruit a lot of internationals because of my teams' locations/prestige) and not getting a report on PER, BH and PAS for guards while getting 5 reports on his 1 SB.  

If I had an assistant coach report back 5 times on a guards' SB and he didn't report on his PER potential, he would be gone.  

I wish it was easy for WIS to implement a selection system for scouting trips.  However, since it hasn't happened, it must not be an easy fix for them.

I think there has to be a way to better handle these trips.  Something needs to be written into the code where we can select which attributes we want our assistants to scout.  If that dumbs it down too much, then assign a minimum arbitrary number of scouting trips to get close to all (or all) the attributes' potential. 

Thoughts?
4/20/2011 11:12 PM
I think you pretty much summed it up, either one of those solutions would be great.
4/20/2011 11:23 PM
Just get rid of the slots for things like personality test and such and institute instead a few alternate scouting trips. . say. . . one has speed/Ath/Sta/DEF, another has BLK/def/REB/LP and another has PER/bh/p/DEF  With two scouting trips you could cover most of what you would want to know about a specific recruit.

4/20/2011 11:28 PM
I'm not a fan of getting rid of personality tests, but I was pretty ****** when after 5 attempts my scout still couldn't tell me whether the kid could play defense...
4/21/2011 1:21 AM
Posted by dacj501 on 4/21/2011 1:21:00 AM (view original):
I'm not a fan of getting rid of personality tests, but I was pretty ****** when after 5 attempts my scout still couldn't tell me whether the kid could play defense...
Is personality test useful for D1 to determine EE?
4/21/2011 1:59 AM
so I hear...we'll see, just used one on #3 PG...
4/21/2011 2:32 AM
Put the personality test stuff into the scouting trip. . 
4/21/2011 6:09 AM
much like personality tests, how about a comprehensive scouting visit that gives each factor for 4 or 5times the going rate for one?
4/21/2011 6:27 AM
I never used one, but what do personality tests tell you. Not willing to do one at D3, but just curious. Anybody ever used the Psychologist Opinion.
4/21/2011 10:05 AM
I've never used a personality test at D2 and D3 and don't know anyone who has. 

It has very limited value at those levels.

I know that Coach gopokes had a personality test, however. The results were 'inconclusive'
4/21/2011 10:17 AM
Posted by zsap on 4/21/2011 10:05:00 AM (view original):
I never used one, but what do personality tests tell you. Not willing to do one at D3, but just curious. Anybody ever used the Psychologist Opinion.
Deleted the email accidentally, but I had posted this to our CC a couple weeks ago - just had to dig for it...

Please find the results of the personality test you ordered for: Ali Clark

o Intelligence: Normal
o Self-Esteem: High
o Self-Confidence: Very High
o Self-Control: Very High
o Libido: High
o Patience/Restraint: High
o Materialism: Low
o Motivation: Normal
4/21/2011 1:07 PM
You're taking a gamble on an international's potential anyway since you can't FSS them, so I'm not sure what the fuss is about here.
4/21/2011 1:25 PM
Posted by dacj501 on 4/21/2011 1:07:00 PM (view original):
Posted by zsap on 4/21/2011 10:05:00 AM (view original):
Deleted the email accidentally, but I had posted this to our CC a couple weeks ago - just had to dig for it...

Please find the results of the personality test you ordered for: Ali Clark

o Intelligence: Normal
o Self-Esteem: High
o Self-Confidence: Very High
o Self-Control: Very High
o Libido: High
o Patience/Restraint: High
o Materialism: Low
o Motivation: Normal
So high patience/restraint, low materialism = no EE?
4/21/2011 1:33 PM
Posted by antonsirius on 4/21/2011 1:25:00 PM (view original):
You're taking a gamble on an international's potential anyway since you can't FSS them, so I'm not sure what the fuss is about here.
Huh? That's why he's doing scouting trips to find out his potential. And he's saying it's riduclous that you can't control what you want your assistant coach to look at, telling me how well a SG blocks shots and not telling me how his ball handling or shooting are is silly.
4/21/2011 1:50 PM
Posted by kmasonbx on 4/21/2011 1:50:00 PM (view original):
Posted by antonsirius on 4/21/2011 1:25:00 PM (view original):
Huh? That's why he's doing scouting trips to find out his potential. And he's saying it's riduclous that you can't control what you want your assistant coach to look at, telling me how well a SG blocks shots and not telling me how his ball handling or shooting are is silly.
zing!
4/21/2011 1:59 PM
1234 Next ▸
Scouting Trips - Ridiculousness Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.