Just sent this to CS Topic

Based on OR's comments I think "the change" was more to improve #1-10, especially #1-5.  Maybe the fix would be to drop the top end a bit?
8/22/2011 4:04 PM
here are the ranked recruits for the past 12 seasons in Allen and Rupp (which goes back about 2 years)
the three most recent seasons are listed in the "1-3" column

Position ranking 1-3 4-6 7-9 10-12
 1-3 784 788 773 774
4-10 726 732 725 723
11-20 656 661 654 659
21-30 614 614 612 610
31-40 597 597 591 585
41-60 576 577 571 574
61-80 562 561 553 552
81-100 548 548 540 539
101-125 536 536 528 525
126-150 526 525 517 515
151-200 511 511 501 500

8/22/2011 6:16 PM
might be a new record, after 20 games, Illinois in world three 888 team total .... 4sr/4jr/2so/2fr
8/22/2011 9:20 PM
Posted by oldresorter on 8/22/2011 9:20:00 PM (view original):
might be a new record, after 20 games, Illinois in world three 888 team total .... 4sr/4jr/2so/2fr
Linked for the curious.  Holy crap.
8/23/2011 10:28 AM
It scares me how much Bell sucks compared to his teammates, considering that he'd be a starter on most other teams.
8/23/2011 10:31 AM
What's the record for most 900 rated players on one team?  Because that one is about to have six and seven and eight aren't horribly far behind.  . 
8/23/2011 11:09 AM
The sad thing is, if he doesn't win the National Championship, people will probably view that team and season as a failure, which is ridiculous.
8/23/2011 11:58 AM
Posted by jslotman on 8/23/2011 11:09:00 AM (view original):
What's the record for most 900 rated players on one team?  Because that one is about to have six and seven and eight aren't horribly far behind.  . 
I'm pretty positive Mbalding had 7 or 8 on his Rutgers team in Tark a few seasons back and everybody on the team was over 800.
8/23/2011 12:07 PM
Posted by coach_billyg on 8/22/2011 11:20:00 AM (view original):
Posted by kmasonbx on 8/20/2011 11:39:00 AM (view original):
Girt, I just don't buy the idea that non BCS schools don't have a chance at putting together a team that has a chance to compete. Like was posted a little earlier Illinois-Chicago made the Final 4 in Knight. If there were a few conferences in every world with 8+ humans I guarantee it would be a common thing to see a couple of teams in the Sweet 16, 1 in the Elite 8 and every few seasons 1 slipping into the Final 4.

100% reward points in D2 and D3, and people perceiving recruit generation as dismantling all chances mid majors have of competing are what caused the current situation not that mid majors actually have no chance.
kmason, this is kind of ridiculous. i agree that perceptions can run wild in this game and that people probably made the recruiting generation problem out to be a bigger problem than it really is/was. but there is still a recruit generation problem, there is no doubt about it. and the fact that there is some success today is totally meaningless. the point is, if you add 100 humans to the mid major pool, there wouldn't be a drastic uptick in the number of mid majors to break the top 10 and top 25 - and that, fundamentally, is the problem.
I am late to this discussion ... And I'll admit I did not read every page, only skimmed.

It appears that the issues discussed here are two that have been around for a while, recruit generation and prestige.

I agree, as I saw a few point out, that the way prestige is calculated is old. It needs to be changed and it wouldn't be that difficult of a change to make. I have stated in the past, but will throw it out again my idea for changing prestige:

Create a formula that is a moving baseline prestige that takes into account a 'baseline' (since WIS is clearly dead set on keeping that, i.e. Duke has an A+ for this portion) and make that a small portion of a teams prestige. Use a moving average of the teams last 10-20 years of the teams success in that world, to finish off the moving baseline. This moving baseline value could then be used to calculate the yearly prestige that is shown on the team pages. This would allow a coach to create a 'gonzaga' by staying put and succeeding, and if they left the school could still be solid.

I'll touch on jobs as well since prestige affects those. Use this moving baseline prestige to start job hiring process, but as the job process moves on slowly move towards the old baseline prestige (that we have now, which would likely be lower in all circumstances when this occured) so that good schools that a coach has built up than left don't get axed by simmy for a few seasons.

As for recruits, I am not sure I have an answer, although based on what small amount I have been able to read since I have came back it still looks like it is an issue. There needs to be something that can assist lower level schools, I offered up a thought of having players from those schools possibly have a chance that a player improved more than normal over the offseason, possibly in season recruiting could help a bit but I'm not sure and fairly confident WIS would never add that to the game. I think we had had discussions a year or two ago about a different way to give out recruiting money, i.e. not 15k per ship in d1? I can't remember who offered that suggestion up though.

Just some thoughts... If anything has changed that I am not aware of and makes any of these comments irrelevant ... sorry.
8/27/2011 2:29 PM
Interesting thread from about 20 months ago...a lot of the major stuff begins on page 10, and that's when I get quite vocal as well...from August 2011.  Just want to note how rocky my relationship was with billyg and I never attempted to out him to WIS...

8/13/2011 12:09 AM
colonels19

I just can't stand people that lie about cheating...you don't view other states that you FSSed on your other usernames...poppycock...I don't care that billyg or anyone does it, but don't try to act like some holier than thou, champion of ethics in HD, because it just makes you even more ridiculous.  If you have mulitple teams in a world and you're not "sharing" FSS info between the usernames, you're just dumb, period.

4/28/2013 12:48 AM
Posted by colonels19 on 4/28/2013 12:48:00 AM (view original):
Interesting thread from about 20 months ago...a lot of the major stuff begins on page 10, and that's when I get quite vocal as well...from August 2011.  Just want to note how rocky my relationship was with billyg and I never attempted to out him to WIS...

8/13/2011 12:09 AM
colonels19

I just can't stand people that lie about cheating...you don't view other states that you FSSed on your other usernames...poppycock...I don't care that billyg or anyone does it, but don't try to act like some holier than thou, champion of ethics in HD, because it just makes you even more ridiculous.  If you have mulitple teams in a world and you're not "sharing" FSS info between the usernames, you're just dumb, period.

oh come on, it wasnt that rocky! i mean yeah, we argued a lot, but i was just trying to beat some sense into you, lol. at least i usually gave you the courtesy of actually considering your opinion and *trying* to debate it with you, instead of just calling you an idiot from the get-go. now, im not saying i didnt call you an idiot later ;) but at least i tried to have a real discussion first!! hehe, anyway, its been fun. glad you are somewhat less crazy, but still somewhat crazy, it keeps things interesting. i still cant figure out why you think dshook is the one in the wrong, in that situation!
4/28/2013 1:41 AM
oh wow, this is ancient, i didnt even notice... it really sucks that WIS has done NOTHING to fix the horribly broken recruit generation, though. but at least they stopped all cheating! ;)
4/28/2013 1:44 AM
I've been in Allen for 40 some seasons.  I am just an average coach who likes to check his mediocre team each morning while trying to get a little better each seasn.  I have watched all the DI conferences in the east empty as the ACC has a stranglehold on talent.  The Big East and the A-10 have become populated by SIMS  This has helped the WCC rise, as other good coaches migrate west to get out of the ACC recuiting range (as much as they can).  At the same time, I have noted that after the new recruit generation, the era of the Southern's and Cleveland State's  being able to compete and win the championship has disappeared.  As one poster put it, a sweet 16 is the best one can hope for.

I am astonished how WIS allows teams with sub-.500 records into the post season tournaments.  Yes, ACC teams (because they are playing each other and have all the talent) have the best RPI's even though they avoid playing any of the few teams that can actually give them a game during the non-conference (they beat up on teams they are favored to win by 60-70 points, so they are all 10-0 after non-conf).  But letting a 13-15 team in the national tourney is 1)a travesty and unrealistic; and 2) unfair to all other DI teams whose conferences could use the recruiting money to compete with the ACC.  If WIS just changed the formula to enter the tournaments to a more realistic format, some of the money going to the ACC could be re-directed to other conferences giving them a chance to compete for the national title (in what has jokingly been called the ACC Invitational).

I take nothing away from the coaches in the ACC.  I have "known" some of them a long time, coached against some of them as conference mates.  They are the best of the best.  The advantage they receive in tournament monies that many believe they do not deserve just makes it that much harder to compete with them.   It is not their fault; they are just taking advantage of an unfair situation that is allowed to occur by WIS.

4/28/2013 8:17 AM
I thought you had to have a record above .500 to make the NT soma 13-15 team couldn't make it.
4/28/2013 10:30 AM
You are mistaken...I have seen it numerous times with the ACC teams....I have been tracking it for seasons
4/28/2013 10:37 AM
◂ Prev 1...16|17|18|19 Next ▸
Just sent this to CS Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.