yatzr HD recruit tool v1.11 - Login fix Topic

For filtering players based on rank, would you want a single setting that filters across all positions or a separate filter per position?
5/28/2012 3:19 PM
Posted by yatzr on 5/28/2012 3:19:00 PM (view original):
For filtering players based on rank, would you want a single setting that filters across all positions or a separate filter per position?
for d1 teams, you really probably just want a general filter, like, filter out any recruits ranked better than 25 (the opposite of the way filters usually work). for high end d1 teams, you wouldn't use it. for d2 teams, you probably would start with the general filter, and then as soon as you got some phone call responses back, you'd probably set the filters by position. 

i guess i like to be able to control things, and i play d2 as well as d1, so i would prefer all positions. i am aware the more you add, the more confusing it seems, and the more you have to set up for each team. but if its under that nifty little hidden filter section, i think i wouldn't be bad. but im curious what other d2 coaches think. probably half the people who would use the tool, maybe more, would have a d2 team. only a third or so of teams are d2, but tons of people have multiple teams. i can't see non d2ers wanting it by position, but i might be missing something...

while i remember it, i wanted to add, it might be cool to import a setup, but not recruits. when i went to add a new team, i wanted the same equations, so i copied them to notepad, then opened the new team, and copied it all in. entering that info for every new season is really not bad, so its definitely not that important, but wanted to throw it out there :)

5/28/2012 4:30 PM
Posted by yatzr on 5/28/2012 2:26:00 PM (view original):
Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback.  coach_billyg, it took me awhile, but I did read all of yours that you PMed me .  I've been pretty busy the past several days (no baby yet though), so I haven't had much of a chance to respond.  Here are some changes that I'm planning on making in the short term.

1. Checkboxes for position filter instead of a dropdown.  That way, you can look at several different positions at the same time instead of just ALL or a single position.
2. Checkboxes for years of eligibility so that you can filter on that.
3. max() and min() functions in the equations.  It's apparent now that my assumption on how people would use the potential "multipliers" was wrong and that they should really be potential "additives".  Several people mentioned they want to add the potential additive to the attribute and have it cap out at 100.  You'll be able to do something like "min(A+A_P,100)" for that.
4. Have a column for rank and a filter for rank

5. I want to change the way equations work, but want some more feedback on this.  In GD, it almost never makes sense to play a player out of position (it did at one time, but then that usefulness was removed), so it never makes sense to share an equation across positions.  This is the main reason the equations are set up the way they are now.  It sounds like it's the exact opposite in HD.  I have two ideas for this

5a) Get rid of equations per position and just have 6 total equations that are shared across all positions.  I can also easily set this up to have custom column names for each of these equations.
or
5b) Have a separate dropdown on the main search to pick which position's equations you want to currently show.  The custom column names are possible with this too, but it gets kind of confusing.

Personally, I like 5a better because it's cleaner and less confusing, but I'm afraid that 6 total equations just wouldn't be sufficient.  Let me know what you guys think.
very exciting changes!

1-4 - awesome

5 - even more awesome. you are right that its the exact opposite in HD, i mean based on recruit generation, you never see centers playing PG, but you see players 2 positions off all the time.

the more i think about it, the more i agree that 6 would be limiting, resulting in swapping out. but i understand the complexity concern. either way would be cool, i have no problem swapping equations in and out for some things, the only problem i had now was i had to swap them in and out 5 times (or at least 3) and would lose track of where i was. not sure if you can put in a really remedial, raw interface to put custom labels on those ;) i actually think 5b is kind of intuitive - you want to see all players as a pg, when you are looking for a pg - and you might have 3 different styles of pg you want to see. i can honestly see a 5x5 having value over a 5x3 but i do wonder at what point you've crapped it up too much for the simple user. 

in short, id be happy with either option, 5b sounds better to me personally, but really either would get me where im trying to go. all in all this is fantastic, thanks a lot for doing all this!!
5/28/2012 4:42 PM
Ok. I know I'm the idiot who doesn't do math r computers. But which columns do the equations go in? What about the three data points at the top?
5/28/2012 8:44 PM
go to options->equations. on top, are 4 boxes for the potential multipliers. you can just ignore those to get started. then, you put an equation in that box labeled S1. put it in next to PG to rank your PGs. if you have a second way to rank them, a second equation, put that in S2. once you hit save, back on that main screen, you should now see values in the "S1" and/or "S2" columns
5/28/2012 10:39 PM
Posted by emy1013 on 5/28/2012 2:01:00 PM (view original):
Posted by cjones4mvp on 5/28/2012 8:00:00 AM (view original):
Posted by trobone on 5/28/2012 7:44:00 AM (view original):
ok - could someone who knows math explain the equations to me?

i know they take recruits and grade them out to what they'll end up being - but how the hell do you guys come up with those long *** things?
PG:
(A+A_P)*0.11+(SPD+SPD_P)*0.14+(REB+REB_P)*0+(DE+DE_P)*0.10+(BLK+BLK_P)*0+(LP+LP_P)*0.01+(PE+PE_P)*0.12+(BH+BH_P)*0.18+(P+P_P)*0.27+WE*0.03+(ST+ST_P)*0.03+(DU+DU_P)*0.01

i'm stealing this from hughes post above..this is for a PG recruit

If you dissect the formula and look at the attributes you can see how he values his players by position.

According to hughes.. his most desired stats (he made up his own multipliers) are as follows for PG
P - 0.27
BH - 0.18
SPD - 0.14
PE - 0.12
A - 0.11
DE - 0.10

if you add the whole equation up and his multipliers it should equal at least 1.0 (or 100%).  

The formula itself is kinda straight forward

A for assist, it takes the current Assist (A) and adds it to the potential Assist in the future and those are then multiplied by his 0.11 multiplier that he randomly came up with. (so (A+A_P)*0.11 is what the portion is for assists in his magical formula)..then it jumps to speed and does the same thing...

i dont know if i even answered your question or helped at all but i gave it a shot lol

I think what is confusing some people is the potential aspect that yatzr threw into the mix.. which is awesome by the way.. with basketball and the way their ratings are laid out. u actually have a good idea what to expect on each stat if you recruit that state.. normally, without the potential portion it'd be a straight formula like A*0.11+SPD*0.14+    and so on...

Pretty straightforward explanation, but I think "A" is for Athleticism, not Assist.
you got me :)

i had been up for probably 24 hrs when i typed that so i tend to get a little scatterbrained at times :)

billy.. just touching on an earlier comment of yours in reply to my post...i agree on the 100% that it varies but for the most part but i set mine for around 100%.. i dont know how well its going to work out since im new at this so only time will tell.. I also have an excel file setup to where i factor in FT% (converted to an actual number and its 5% of my score and that pushes mine to 105%).  I'm thinking about adding off/def to the equation as well to get a better overall picture of what im dealing with for each player..

Looks like some good changes are in the works.. you can count on yatzr.. ive been very impressed with his GD recruiting tool..

5/29/2012 7:25 AM
thats cool - i was just saying you can do it any way you want. not sure if some people would take that post as, you have to make it add to 1 or 100% whatever you want to call it. but you certainly can, and i don't think there is much argument to be made for doing it one way or another. i personally use 1 as a high quality attribute, and then try to come up with values in relation to that, because its easy to think about it that way. i have no problem with decimals but it does seem a bit more complicated, mentally, to be thinking well if rebounding is a .18, then shot blocking is a .12, or whatever you are doing. so i stick with bigger numbers. some people might use 10 as their top attribute and trail down from there or even 100. you can always divide the entire formula by a number to normalize your ranges. like, if you use 100 for attributes, your score is going to be in the 10 thousands probably, so you can just divide by ten thousand to get values down around 1 or so (less than 10 really).
5/29/2012 11:19 AM
Recruiting starts in Allen tomorrow ... take a look at yatzr's tool.  I would not even think about recruiting in Grid Iron Dynasty without is outstanding tool there.  This one is still in its infancy, but is great as well.
6/8/2012 9:21 AM (edited)
Posted by coach_billyg on 5/28/2012 1:59:00 PM (view original):
Posted by cjones4mvp on 5/28/2012 8:00:00 AM (view original):
Posted by trobone on 5/28/2012 7:44:00 AM (view original):
ok - could someone who knows math explain the equations to me?

i know they take recruits and grade them out to what they'll end up being - but how the hell do you guys come up with those long *** things?
PG:
(A+A_P)*0.11+(SPD+SPD_P)*0.14+(REB+REB_P)*0+(DE+DE_P)*0.10+(BLK+BLK_P)*0+(LP+LP_P)*0.01+(PE+PE_P)*0.12+(BH+BH_P)*0.18+(P+P_P)*0.27+WE*0.03+(ST+ST_P)*0.03+(DU+DU_P)*0.01

i'm stealing this from hughes post above..this is for a PG recruit

If you dissect the formula and look at the attributes you can see how he values his players by position.

According to hughes.. his most desired stats (he made up his own multipliers) are as follows for PG
P - 0.27
BH - 0.18
SPD - 0.14
PE - 0.12
A - 0.11
DE - 0.10

if you add the whole equation up and his multipliers it should equal at least 1.0 (or 100%).  

The formula itself is kinda straight forward

A for assist, it takes the current Assist (A) and adds it to the potential Assist in the future and those are then multiplied by his 0.11 multiplier that he randomly came up with. (so (A+A_P)*0.11 is what the portion is for assists in his magical formula)..then it jumps to speed and does the same thing...

i dont know if i even answered your question or helped at all but i gave it a shot lol

I think what is confusing some people is the potential aspect that yatzr threw into the mix.. which is awesome by the way.. with basketball and the way their ratings are laid out. u actually have a good idea what to expect on each stat if you recruit that state.. normally, without the potential portion it'd be a straight formula like A*0.11+SPD*0.14+    and so on...

good explanation. my only comment is, if you add the whole equation up, it doesn't matter at all what it sums to. it can sum to .1 or 10 or 100, doesn't matter.
In my case, everything sums up to 1 (which is 100%) ... so that means that my maximum "weighted" average for ranking is 100 a player's best overall score would be 100 if he had 100 in every attribute.

So, a PG with a 92.55 would be 92.55/100

It technically does not matter what the factors add up to ... but taking 100% and splitting that up is what works for me.  So, in my example, I think passing is 27% and BH is 18% as a factor for ranking PGs, etc.

Certainly there are many other methods.
6/8/2012 8:43 AM
thanks again yatzr! btw any idea when the mass call tool will be coming out?
6/8/2012 8:59 AM
Posted by yoijames on 6/8/2012 8:59:00 AM (view original):
thanks again yatzr! btw any idea when the mass call tool will be coming out?
Soon!  I just got a team in Allen.  I have most of the code written, it just needs to be tested, so as soon as recruiting starts, I should be able to get it out pretty quick.

This next version will also include update multiples, as well as coach names and scholarship/signed/considering counts.
6/8/2012 9:17 AM
With respect to a Rank filter ... what I think would be nice is a textbox that accepts a < or > sign and a number.

Then you could do <26 to see only the top 25 players ...OR... you could do >25 to see only players who are outside the top 25.

This would help good teams get rid of non ranked players from their lists and allow guys who want to filter out good players (like Div-II looking for drop downs).
6/8/2012 9:20 AM
Also handy would be an S4 and an S5 for equations.

And of course the other things that you mentioned yatzr ... update multiples, coach names, actions, etc.

6/8/2012 9:41 AM
Posted by hughesjr on 6/8/2012 9:42:00 AM (view original):
Also handy would be an S4 and an S5 for equations.

And of course the other things that you mentioned yatzr ... update multiples, coach names, actions, etc.

For the equations, I decided to go with a 5x5 approach.  There will be 5 sets of 5 equations.  The sets are just named Set1, Set2, etc.  Then, on the main view, you can select which set you want to show.  That set of equations will be used for all recruits regardless of position.  You can easily switch between sets.  I'm also including custom headers, so you can give each equation a name, and that will be used for the column header.
6/8/2012 9:51 AM
this all sounds great yatzr! i can't wait!
6/8/2012 2:38 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...13 Next ▸
yatzr HD recruit tool v1.11 - Login fix Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.