Scholarship messages Topic

i think it's bogus. they just wanted to wash their hands of any blame for a screw up in their game.
3/13/2013 1:57 PM
Posted by tarvolon on 2/23/2013 10:29:00 AM (view original):
Most of those line up with what I had. The ahead ones in particular are pretty obvious. The one discrepancy I see is "I really love your program, but I feel like I need to give each program my full attention before I make my decision. I can't say yes right now. Sorry."

I got this after getting a slightly behind message and then sending more effort. After getting this message, just one more HV was enough to put me into way ahead messages (e.g. "You've sold me. If nothing changes between now and the signing period. . . "). Because of that, I thought it meant ahead, but slightly so. 

However, in the last recruiting cycle in Allen, I got this message, sent more effort, and got this exactly same message again. I didn't even think that was possible (I thought they only updated scholarship messages when your status changed), so I'm not sure how to interpret that. 
i just got this message too.

"Hey Coach, I really love your program, but I feel like I need to give each program my full attention before I make my decision. I can't say yes right now. Sorry."

in a close battle with duke in tark. i am 99% sure we are both tapped out (that is after i put 15K more in, after behind way behind, behind on WOTS). anyone know if im leading or behind? sounds like this one is contested - ill come back with the outcome when it happens.

3/14/2013 1:16 PM
I think that is behind.    

This is what I have now:

I got your  "full attention" message at 5 PM.   Then sent a HV.

At 8 I got this: "Coach, it's down to a handful of schools - you're on my very short list, but I feel like I still need more information about the program." CLOSE but I think it's still behind.

I sent a few more HV's, at 11 I got this:  "Coach, just following up on your scholarship offer. I REALLY love your program, but I have to tell you, another school looks like it may be a great fit for me too. I just can't decide yet."  I think this is an AHEAD message.

Then I got these at 2, 5 and 8 (the other guy was pumping in his reserve):

2- "It would be an honor to play for you at Cal. Poly Pomona, but I'd also be honored to play for a couple of other schools too. I'm sorry, I just need more time."
5- "Coach, you have a little more selling to do - don't get me wrong, you're close, but there are other schools that have indicated a possible interest in me."
8-"Coach, it's down to a handful of schools - you're on my very short list, but I feel like I still need more information about the program."

I put it a little effort before 8 am but not enough.

3/14/2013 1:43 PM
I'm pretty sure you're right about short list being behind. 
3/14/2013 4:47 PM
Made a couple updates to #7 and #14. It seems not all "short list" messages are created equal. 

Also, I know most people say only scholarship messages matter, but other messages do have some sort of tone. "My pops was ready to sign. LOL" is more positive than "I'm not sure about my decision, but I was impressed." If you're getting absurdly positive visit messages but ambiguous scholarship messages, is that cause to interpret the scholarship messages more positively, or not? 
4/8/2013 5:33 PM
Figuring out all of these messages is a nightmare and I applaud HD for making it that way. This game is supposed to be a simulation of real life. Did anyone take notes on that kid that was a for sure Auburn recruit and ended up dressing up like Nick Saban on national letter of intent day?

I had the weird experience this week of going after two recruits for my final open spot. I hadn't spent as much money on the guy I wanted and had plenty to throw at him. The other guy I was keeping around as a back-up. His messages were not that assuring and so I sent him one phone call to keep him on the line and BAM... my last scholarship was taken. Recruiting is supposed to be hard and the messages are supposed to be hard to figure out.

With that, this thread is the most helpful thing I've seen in the forums yet. Good work!
4/8/2013 7:23 PM
No problem. 

Tip for your situation: you can get someone to consider you without offering them a scholarship. This is often a good idea if you want to keep someone on the line as a backup plan. Just make sure you leave $100 left over to offer the scholly in case your first choice doesn't come through. 
4/8/2013 7:32 PM
Oh wow. That is a great tip. I didn't even know that was possible but it makes sense. So, are they as likely to consider me if the spending amount is the same but there isn't a scholarship offer? Like... 2 scouting trips and a home visit and no scholly offer is just as likely to consider me as 2 scouting trips, a home visit and 100 bucks in calls/letters?
4/8/2013 7:49 PM
I'm not sure it's the same amount of money. You might need more to get them considering you without a scholarship offer. It's also something that depends on player quality. I've had crappy players considering me after three scouting visits and nothing else. But it's also not like you need six home visits or anything. It's a viable option. 
4/8/2013 8:06 PM
Posted by craigaltonw on 4/8/2013 7:49:00 PM (view original):
Oh wow. That is a great tip. I didn't even know that was possible but it makes sense. So, are they as likely to consider me if the spending amount is the same but there isn't a scholarship offer? Like... 2 scouting trips and a home visit and no scholly offer is just as likely to consider me as 2 scouting trips, a home visit and 100 bucks in calls/letters?
a scholarship offer is worth significantly more than 100 dollars in calls and letters (just like at 10 miles, a third of a HV is worth significantly more than 100 dollars in calls and letters). promises and scholarship offers are easily the most effective tools by dollar - which makes sense, as you can only use them once. ive never done a study to pin down the value of a scholarship offer, but my guess is that its around a HV or something.
4/8/2013 9:05 PM
Battling a sim, I got the #4 message- "It would be an honor to play for Emory, but I'd be honored to play for a couple of other schools too. I'm sorry I just need more time."

I assumed this message meant I was still behind. Had only 35 dollars left.

Next cycle sent promised starts (10) and a letter (15).  Promised starts were accepted, but I got no new scholarship message. Assumption- still behind.

Next cycle spent last 10 dollars on 20 minutes guaranteed. Got no response, Did not get a new scholarship message. Out of money, and figured i was going to lose, did not even check back in for a day and a half.

And here is what I found;

Six cycles after my last recruiting effort, and the cycle before signings started, I got a new scholarship message ... I was ahead! ANd 7 cycles later he signed with us.

I would conclude a few things;

a) message #4 may not be a confirmation of either being behind or ahead ... but only that is very close. Could still be a behind message. I did do the promised start and a letter after receiving the message. If it is a barely behind message then ...

b) there must a margin you need to be ahead by (at least before signings start) to get the ahead message next cycle (as I obviously had moved ahead but recieved no ahead message until 6 cycles later).

c) That at sometime (appears to be the cycle before signings start), someone must be declared ahead no matter how close it is (like the chads have been counted).
7/21/2013 5:44 AM (edited)
Coach, just following up on your scholarship offer. I REALLY love your program, but I have to tell you, another school looks like it may be a great fit for me too. I just can't decide yet.

I just looked through on my phone and don't see it, this is slightly ahead, right?
7/20/2013 8:25 PM
I think so.
7/20/2013 9:37 PM
I thought I had these figured out until this morning when I got a guy that I thought I was behind on.  If anyone can help me out on these messages I would appreciate it.

This is the last scholarship message that I got, which I believe is a BEHIND message.

"Coach, I'm really struggling right now - you have a great program and the school is fantastic, but it's such a big decision. I'm very close to making my decision though."

I sank the rest of my money into him which was a home visit, guaranteed minutes, a bunch of letters and a phone call, and these are the responses I received:

My whole family has attended Whittier and assuming no other school will 'wow' me, I intend on carrying the tradition!

I know how you get down at Whittier so you can see how geeked I was to see you are into me. I promise you'll never have anyone who could play better or party harder.

Thanks for promising me time on the court to show my game next year. You know I'm gonna hold you too that, but just cause I'm pretty sure I'm gonna commit to Whittier.

Wow! I can't tell you how excited I am now that you've visited with my family. Unlike Allen Iverson, I can't wait until the first day of practice!

I didn't think any of the messages were “scholarship” messages, so I assumed that I was not going to get him, but I did two cycles later.  Is that original message actually an AHEAD message, or is one of the other messages a scholarship message?

7/22/2013 11:45 AM
bullman, I've always thought that to be an ahead message. If you got it and then your player signed, that seems to add weight to that opinion. 
7/22/2013 11:54 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...7 Next ▸
Scholarship messages Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.