Previous coach promised minutes? Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
All players aside from unpromised freshmen want a certain amount of minutes.
8/27/2012 7:54 AM
Sophomores expect to get at least 8 minutes a game, I forget what Jrs expect to get but it is more than that, I think about 10-12
8/27/2012 7:59 AM
It's not that difficult to get minutes for these players.  Set them on 3rd string (or 4th string, if you use that one) and increase their minutes in a blowout. In your last game, your California team won by 30 but had players logging 6 and 2 minutes.

YOu can also platoon them with the 2nd sting guy vs. weaker teams.
8/27/2012 10:51 AM
Posted by bistiza on 8/27/2012 10:39:00 AM (view original):
Really? That's rather stupid.

If you've got a team of 12 players and some are obviously better than others, the better ones get more minutes.

I usually run a ten-deep roster, which means two of my guys are going to only get five or so minutes a game most times. That's a realistic thing from everything I've seen of college basketball in real life, but apparently you get punished for it in the sim.

Ridiculous.
do you think that in real life the kids who are getting just 5 minutes are happy?  They may put up with it, but do you think they like it?

in the SIM they will be fine with it if they are FR - no need for any time in the absence of a promise

if they are SO, JR, SR they may/will be at least somewhat unhappy. 

In every level of sports at which I have played, coached or had my kids play, the players want playing time and will get unhappy - and it often doesnt matter if they are clearly less capable than the guys who are getting minutes.

8/27/2012 11:09 AM

If you've got a team of 12 players and some are obviously better than others, the better ones get more minutes.

I usually run a ten-deep roster, which means two of my guys are going to only get five or so minutes a game most times. That's a realistic thing from everything I've seen of college basketball in real life, but apparently you get punished for it in the sim.

Ridiculous.
If you have Jrs who aren't getting playing time because they are playing behind So/Fr then why would you even care if he transfers?   Instead of being mad you should be thankfull he is freeing up a roster spot.
8/27/2012 12:44 PM
Posted by mullycj on 8/27/2012 12:44:00 PM (view original):

Ridiculous.
If you have Jrs who aren't getting playing time because they are playing behind So/Fr then why would you even care if he transfers?   Instead of being mad you should be thankfull he is freeing up a roster spot.
We need a "like" button.  Let's get all Facebook-y up in here.
8/27/2012 1:18 PM
Why? Why wouldn't their we go down if they don't see any prospect of significant playing time? Why would they feel compelled to work hard to improve themselves if they know its leading nowhere?
8/27/2012 1:30 PM
I'd like to introduceuce you to this little place called the real world where, despite what they "ought" to do, people are, in fact, influenced by incentives and disincentives. You honestly think players in real teams have no difference in their work ethic at all based on the circumstances of their use? Really?
8/27/2012 2:40 PM
Know the genius of this game?  You are the coach of players doing that.  So boot them off the team in the offseason.  Everyone wins.
8/27/2012 2:55 PM
Posted by bistiza on 8/27/2012 2:50:00 PM (view original):

I'm sure players do have a difference in their work ethic on real teams. All I'm saying is I wouldn't want them on MY team if I was the coach.

I have a few key philosophies in life, and one of them is "work hard or go home". That doesn't mean you always have to be going all out at everything, or take no breaks, or be obsessed.

But it DOES mean you don't just give up or cop out of something because your expectations aren't being met. Insted, you buckle down and give it your all so that you know beyond any shadow of a doubt if you don't get what you expected, then there was nothing more you could have done.

If you give up or get lazy like that, how do you know one bit more effort wouldn't have made the difference? You can tell yourself all you want it didn't mean anything, but the only way you'd know for sure is to do it.

I don't let expectations dictate my level of effort at anything. If I did, I wouldn't ever achieve anything, because you can literally justify anything you want as a reason to be lazy or make your "work ethic" drop.

Nothing ever gives me the right to give up because my expectations aren't immediately met. I would expect nothing less than the same attitude from my players if I were a coach in real life.

Ok. If that is your position, cut the player, problem solved.
8/27/2012 3:01 PM
So you're wanting WIS to code in some philosophical based, Jimmy V style "don't give up, don't ever give up", type of logic to where a kid will always be fine with whatever PT he's getting?  Or where he'll always take that as a challenge to work harder and stay in the gym longer to try and improve faster so he can have his "put me in, coach!" moment?

So you basically want a player's WE to improve if he isn't getting minutes so that he'll improve and then get the minutes he wants.  In which case it'd make sense for a starter averaging 20+ min/game to become complacent and have a WE drop - but then we'd just be replacing these posts with people barking about how it makes no sense for a starter's WE to drop.  

Damned if you do, damned if you don't kind of scenario.
8/27/2012 3:29 PM
1|2|3...32 Next ▸
Previous coach promised minutes? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.