Longest you've stayed at a school? Topic

24 completed seasons and counting at Mount Olive (D2) in Phelan
11/9/2012 10:49 AM
This is my 68th season at Virginia Wesleyan.
11/9/2012 11:29 AM
I tend to stay at my schools for a long time. These are all 1-a-day worlds:

Crum, DII Drury-  21 seasons
Wooden, DII, Mars. Hill- 57 
Rupp, DII, Bowie St.  -57
Smith, DII Ky. State-  60
Iba, DIII Transylvania- 60 seasons

Naismith, DIII Freedom Conference- 58 seasons (33 at Del. Valley, 25 at Drew)
11/9/2012 11:42 AM
I noticed alblack that you are the only user I've ever seen who still holds a team from the creation of its world until now with over 60 seasons in (Transylvania in Iba). That's amazing and makes it easy to know you were responsible for everything that's ever occurred outside of the initial players on the team (and you even got to coach them).
11/9/2012 11:51 AM
Up until the last year or two I never stayed at a school for more than 8 seasons but I realized to really compete for national titles (assuming you were taking over a rebuild) you probably had to be more committed.

Kansas 19 seasons is my longest (Since moved);
LSU entering 15th season (still there);
Stonehill 14th season (still there).

I guess I have commitment issues!

11/9/2012 12:13 PM
43 seasons at Maryland in Knight
42 seasons at Stanford in Smith
41 seasons at Kentucky in Phelan

in each case, the only human coach at that school - biggest mistake, moving from LSU to Kentucky in Phelan - I have never figured out how to play kentucky and continue now only to try to have a few good enough years to a place that will amuse me.
11/9/2012 12:42 PM
metsmax are you the person with the record for the most HD seasons played? You've been on here a ton and I'm sure have a wealth of knowledge on the game.
11/9/2012 1:07 PM
Posted by metsmax on 11/9/2012 12:42:00 PM (view original):
43 seasons at Maryland in Knight
42 seasons at Stanford in Smith
41 seasons at Kentucky in Phelan

in each case, the only human coach at that school - biggest mistake, moving from LSU to Kentucky in Phelan - I have never figured out how to play kentucky and continue now only to try to have a few good enough years to a place that will amuse me.

kentucky is tough man, with a strong acc nearby, i think phelan is pretty similar to tark, and so we probably had similar struggles. i REALLY think kentucky is a tough coaching job, its one of the harder big 6 jobs when that ACC is strong. i had a strong IL, pitt, MI, MI ST, IN - so its like, A/A+ schools in EVERY direction and you just dont have hardly any recruits in kentucky itself. with all those tough programs around, i think there are a lot of B range baseline schools that are much easier jobs. 

so, i guess ill im saying is, dont be too hard on yourself. i found it very difficult myself, and i can't think of anything else in this game i can say that about. even recruiting at south carolina on a B with A+ duke and UNC and GA tech all right there was only on par with the struggles i had with A+ kentucky, its really quite ridiculous how ****** of a spot kentucky is in. now, give me UK with a #1 sec and a #5 acc, and i could probably tear it up, but i had the reverse case. but even then - you have the TN schools right there, and if ohio is strong, and indiana/illinois are strong, and pitt is strong, you are surrounded, without all the recruits. im aware there are east coast teams just as surrounded, or more, but they have more to work with, and that makes all the difference in the world!

11/9/2012 1:12 PM
Posted by bistiza on 11/9/2012 1:07:00 PM (view original):
metsmax are you the person with the record for the most HD seasons played? You've been on here a ton and I'm sure have a wealth of knowledge on the game.
not close to the most seasons, I think many of the folks who are the leaders in wins in each world are in many worlds....and for sure not the most knowledge.  I go by feel a lot, while there are folks who really work the stats and have a more precise grasp of some relationships.  I go with fuzzy logic.

and yes gil, Kentucky is surrounded - often no direction in which you can get some easy recruit pickins AND the recruit population is not as dense as in other places.....I find it hard
11/9/2012 2:22 PM
43 seasons in Knight, with 42 of those spent at Oberlin.
I left after my 4th season and spent one at North Park...not quite sure why I left, but I've been @ Oberlin ever since.
11/9/2012 2:42 PM
Posted by metsmax on 11/9/2012 2:22:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bistiza on 11/9/2012 1:07:00 PM (view original):
not close to the most seasons, I think many of the folks who are the leaders in wins in each world are in many worlds....and for sure not the most knowledge.  I go by feel a lot, while there are folks who really work the stats and have a more precise grasp of some relationships.  I go with fuzzy logic.

and yes gil, Kentucky is surrounded - often no direction in which you can get some easy recruit pickins AND the recruit population is not as dense as in other places.....I find it hard
Im from the same school of thought. Im the throw the instruction manual out type of guy. Just play the game and see what happens. It astonishes my brother sometimes when he brings something up that is "common forum" knowledge and I've never heard of it or that I never do coach calls or read player evaluations. My game planning methods are also quite basic; but this game continues to entertain, so I continue to play!
11/9/2012 3:54 PM
Posted by bistiza on 11/9/2012 11:51:00 AM (view original):
I noticed alblack that you are the only user I've ever seen who still holds a team from the creation of its world until now with over 60 seasons in (Transylvania in Iba). That's amazing and makes it easy to know you were responsible for everything that's ever occurred outside of the initial players on the team (and you even got to coach them).
Yes, I was very lucky there. Transylvania was ranked #5 in the first pre-season poll so coaching them while I learned the game was easier.  I've only won one NT in 60 seasons, but I've been in either the NT or PIT every season
11/9/2012 4:13 PM
You're an amazing coach, alblack. You're certainly a better recruiter (and overall coach) than me if you can consistently make the post season like that.

In my first season, the game had just been recently released. I got in on the first season in Wooden because Naismith had already sold out, but I had a terrible team. Eventually that changed, but it wasn't easy to begin with.

11/9/2012 4:22 PM
starting my 39th season at CSU Stanislaus in Tark.
11/9/2012 5:39 PM
I used to be a school hopper when I first started playing. I've now completed 24 seasons at S. Arkansas (Allen) and 20 season at Longwood (Iba). Being a member of 2 of the great DII conferences of all time in Gulf South Allen and Heartland-Iba keep me wanting to stay at those schools as long as possible
11/9/2012 6:02 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Longest you've stayed at a school? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.