i have too many guards on my team i just took over... how ****** would a guy be if i redshirted him in his 2nd or 3rd year?

or how ****** off would a player be if i recruited him, and didnt tell him i was going to redshirt him but did it anyways.

do guys improve just as much who have a redshirt against not redshirting?

11/16/2012 10:53 AM
For upperclassmen, sometimes they are OK with a redshirt but, more often, they have a hissy-fit. Their WE will drop and never bounce back if you keep the redshirt ON.

For the 2nd scenario, I never inform of redshirt. It doesn't seem to matter.

Redshirted guys improve more slowly in their redshirt year, but are normal after that
11/16/2012 11:48 AM
alblack56 do you really never inform of redshirt and just put one on him anyway, and it doesn't matter? The one time I tried it the guy went from 47 WE to 27 WE after complaining about it.
11/16/2012 12:14 PM
he is suggesting, i think, that he can usually find someone to redshirt who doesnt take a WE hit. my personal opinion is that its better to inform of redshirt if you REALLY like a guy as a redshirt candidate, and i do so fairly regularly (d2). but the reality is that most of the time, if you have balanced classes, you will be able to redshirt one of your freshman - but there is potentially a lot more value in redshirting some freshman than others, so i wouldnt ignore that inform of redshirt option...
11/16/2012 12:16 PM
Posted by coach_billyg on 11/16/2012 12:16:00 PM (view original):
he is suggesting, i think, that he can usually find someone to redshirt who doesnt take a WE hit. my personal opinion is that its better to inform of redshirt if you REALLY like a guy as a redshirt candidate, and i do so fairly regularly (d2). but the reality is that most of the time, if you have balanced classes, you will be able to redshirt one of your freshman - but there is potentially a lot more value in redshirting some freshman than others, so i wouldnt ignore that inform of redshirt option...
Yes, i can usually find someone to redshirt.

If you inform of redshirt, does it cost more money to get a player to sign?
11/16/2012 12:18 PM
Usually, yeah.  Informing has negative recruiting value and often causes the recruit to stop considering you.
11/16/2012 12:19 PM
I've lost recruits by inform of redshirt, so I never do it anymore. I've never had a freshman who didn't accept it. Especially if they're, say, my 3rd player at that position or are one of the lower rated players on the team.

The one time I've tried to redshirt a non-freshman he dropped WE like a baby and I took it off and RS'd a freshman instead.
11/16/2012 12:21 PM
I NEVER inform of a redshirt during recruiting. It is a negative recruiting value. You either will not get the player or have to spend tons of extra $ to get him. If he is a dropdown, you'll probably never get him. I wait until they get to campus and see the team. I wait until after the first exhibition game to do my redshirting.

It has been my experience under the new engine that you can never get a Junior to RS. A Sophmore may if he is in the bottom 3 ratings on your team. A Frosh usually will if in the bottom 3 and has always excepted the RS if in the bottom 2. This is just my experience. I try to RS a player every yuear.
11/16/2012 1:41 PM
well i have a shooting guard with 50WE and a rating of 450 frosh. He will be in the bottom 2 of my team in ratings, I want to redshirt him. He's already going to committ, but signing doesnt happen for 2 more periods, do I wait and redshirt him after he signs or do it before?
11/16/2012 1:45 PM
I would not do it before. He will likely drop you from his considering list.
11/16/2012 1:54 PM
I sometimes redshirt a senior, if I have two seniors at the same position.   He complains, of course, and his WE drops. It's not an issue because he's usually maxed out anyway
11/16/2012 1:56 PM
Posted by coachvegas44 on 11/16/2012 1:41:00 PM (view original):
I NEVER inform of a redshirt during recruiting. It is a negative recruiting value. You either will not get the player or have to spend tons of extra $ to get him. If he is a dropdown, you'll probably never get him. I wait until they get to campus and see the team. I wait until after the first exhibition game to do my redshirting.

It has been my experience under the new engine that you can never get a Junior to RS. A Sophmore may if he is in the bottom 3 ratings on your team. A Frosh usually will if in the bottom 3 and has always excepted the RS if in the bottom 2. This is just my experience. I try to RS a player every yuear.
It really doesn't cost that much more money.  You probably shouldn't just send an inform of redshirt by itself in a cycle, just package it with a few home visits to offset and you'll be fine.  To say that you either won't get him or it's going to cost tons is incorrect.

I use it some of the time - if I have a player who I like for a RS and don't see any competition in recruiting him, I'll go ahead and inform.  Just takes the guesswork out of it, but I typically have balanced teams and don't have much of an issue in getting my freshmen to take the RS with no WE hits.  It mostly depends on your depth - if the FR is coming in as your #3 or #4 player at a position, he's much more likely to accept it without being informed beforehand.

It's also probably easier for me since I tend to ignore the SF at D2 and D3 - I either put a SG or PF there (generally), so I'm usually loaded up at those positions, pushing the FR further down on the depth chart by the sim's view.
11/16/2012 2:10 PM
In the last four seasons at Virginia Union I have Red Shirted Sophomores with no WE penalty.  Like ryrun, I tend to recruit a lot of guards and no small forwards, so both sophomores were guards.  I think I am going to try to throw a shirt on a junior this season.  I don't expect that to go so well.

I have had to go to a second choice for a redshirt, but the second guy I have tried has always accepted.  I've never had to go to my third option.
11/16/2012 4:19 PM
If i redshirt a 13 WE will he even improve more than he will lose in the offseason?
1/14/2014 8:28 AM
Posted by jacobwalls on 1/14/2014 8:28:00 AM (view original):
If i redshirt a 13 WE will he even improve more than he will lose in the offseason?
Yeah, I would suspect you'll see between 15-30 points of growth depending on how many high high's you have and the allocation of minutes.  
1/14/2014 9:34 AM
12 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.