Recruiting in a land far away Topic

Any ideas on how one would go about successfully recruiting and signing players out of Hawaii? considering there are less than 20 overall recruits in the state and the continental United States is 3,000 miles away.

11/27/2012 10:49 PM
Internationals, Internationals, Internationals.  And if there is a good player in Hawaii, you gotta defend your turf.
11/27/2012 11:01 PM
I spent 4 seasons at HI-Hilo...it's tough to recruit...of course, control the islands and I had recruited a couple guys from CA and AZ...maybe WA too, but I didn't go beyond that.  Not sure if I got any D1 pulldowns there...I don't think so, and if I did, they were probably Hawaiians.  Good luck though, I found the challenge to be a worthwhile one.
11/27/2012 11:54 PM
Hawaii schools need a special $40 "take recruit to beach to oogle girls in bikinis" recruiting option.

Can only be used in conjunction with a campus visit, but multiplies the effects of that CV by a random multiplier ranging between 0.4 and 3.0 (because, hey, who knows how good the eye candy and weather were that day...). 
11/28/2012 12:36 AM
LOL @ rednu

That's hilarious.

What would you do if you're in Alaska, though? Show them the wildlife?

11/28/2012 8:56 AM
Posted by bistiza on 11/28/2012 8:56:00 AM (view original):
LOL @ rednu

That's hilarious.

What would you do if you're in Alaska, though? Show them the wildlife?

At his Hanover (IN) school, rednu tries to impress recruits with "The Point", the only place along the Ohio River where you can see three bends . Thus far, the young men haven't been impressed
11/28/2012 9:33 AM
I am impressed with your knowledge of geography, though.
11/28/2012 10:55 AM
1. defend the islands - you can hold off folks from the mainland with better prestige - but not always

2. internationals

3.  targets of opportunity on the mainland - look for recruits who no one wants because of a flaw that you can cope with (say a total lack of offensive ability or a bad WE if you like his existing ratings).....also look for recruits being considered by a school that is in multiple battles or is chasing a guy above their level.  Dont swoop often, but now and then you can swooop
11/28/2012 12:05 PM
   I got me some Hawaii schools at D1. I've found the best recruiting tactic is sacrificing chickens in honor of the random number generator being. But yeah, basically go for Internationals, get every serviceable hawaiin, and pray. IF, and that's a big IF, you recruit in North America, I would say stay out of Pac-12 area cuz you need them to do good to get the money to recruit Internationals. Honestly though, it doesn't matter since you can't battle in N. America and must wait and sort through the scraps. 
   With patience and luck you can get to a steady B+. I've only lost 1 battle for a hawaiin and that was my C+ prestige vs. a Big East A+ school. That was a major set back since so much of Hawaii recruiting is just hoping for great local talent.
   My last bit of advice about N. American recruiting is try not to go incontinent!   
11/28/2012 12:16 PM
Kinda on subject: I dont have alot of expeirence with international recruits. How difficult is it to recuit them. I realize of course the expense is much greater, but are they more or less  receptive to be reruited?
11/28/2012 1:38 PM
Great advice. Thanks.
11/29/2012 2:49 AM
Posted by taniajane on 11/28/2012 1:38:00 PM (view original):
Kinda on subject: I dont have alot of expeirence with international recruits. How difficult is it to recuit them. I realize of course the expense is much greater, but are they more or less  receptive to be reruited?
I don't think there is any other difference... just more expensive due to increased scouting costs.  I've only played D2 and D3, so the scouting cost makes it a dicey move, but worthwhile with a little luck on the scouting visits.  Higher prestige helps since you can then sign a player without a home visit in some cases.
11/30/2012 1:47 PM
My last bit of advice about N. American recruiting is try not to go incontinent! 
relevant...
11/30/2012 2:39 PM
Recruiting in a land far away Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.