Why so few close recruits? Topic

It has to be related to big cities, because I just checked next season's crop of recruits for my CSULA team (DII, located in Los Angeles) and there are 34 (!!!) recruits within 70 miles and 7 who are at 10 miles itself. 

That's a big difference in DII recruits with Canton, NY, who had zero within 70 miles, four within 100, with the closest single recruit at 80 (for DII level).

11/30/2012 1:14 PM
Posted by llamanunts on 11/30/2012 11:22:00 AM (view original):
Well, Canton really is pretty isolated. Here's your 70 mile radius: http://www.freemaptools.com/radius-around-point.htm?clat=44.595616&clng=-75.16909399999997&r=112.65&lc=FFFFFF&lw=1&fc=00FF00

As for multiple 10 mile recruits... Well I only have two schools, but one is right next door to Baltimore and D.C. and the other, well, when my guys throw up bricks the rebounds come down in Atlanta.

Side note - I wonder where the editing tools went. I don't think I somehow turned them off, but they're not there above the text-entry box anymore.
re: editing tools: You probably collapsed them accidentally - look at the top left above the box, should see a very small down arrow.
11/30/2012 1:14 PM
Thanks, ryrun. Not there using Firefox. Using IE, the whole set of tools is visible. Disabled adblock, etc., no dice. Thanks for the suggestion.
11/30/2012 1:47 PM
I don't think it's city size per se, but rather the number of schools in the area. I've got D-III Rhodes, which is in Memphis. Big city, right? Should be lots of recruits, right? But there are typically only 6-8 D-III recruits within 100 miles. There are more D-II recruits than D-III recruits within 100 miles, which is illogical but clearly due to the number of schools at the different levels in the area.
11/30/2012 4:19 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 11/30/2012 12:32:00 PM (view original):
In my opinion, there is a tremendous value in having a DII/DIII school near a big city.   I didn't pick NYU or Cal Poly Pomona  by accident.    

I was much less successful in NH, WI, and bumblesometing PA.
Ive had tremendous success with at D2 in the exact middle of PA (Lock Haven). Its actually kind of nice because I have so many states to choose from within 300 miles. PA, NY, MD, NJ, MA, OH, and WV all have sizable amounts of recruits. Within 200 miles I still have NYC, Philly, Pittsburgh, and Baltimore/DC. Its a pretty fantastic place to recruit from at the D2 level.
12/1/2012 4:55 AM
Posted by alblack56 on 11/30/2012 1:13:00 PM (view original):
I coach at Drew in New Jersey.  I'm close to both New York City and Philadelphia so there is an abundance of recruits. But, WIS has 54 DIII schools in PA and 45 in NY. So recruiting is a constant battle.  I currently have 15 players on my recruiting list. 13 of them are considering one or more local schools.
The NYC area itself has more D2/D3 schools than some states.
12/1/2012 4:58 AM
Posted by blackdog3377 on 12/1/2012 4:55:00 AM (view original):
In my opinion, there is a tremendous value in having a DII/DIII school near a big city.   I didn't pick NYU or Cal Poly Pomona  by accident.    

Ive had tremendous success with at D2 in the exact middle of PA (Lock Haven). Its actually kind of nice because I have so many states to choose from within 300 miles. PA, NY, MD, NJ, MA, OH, and WV all have sizable amounts of recruits. Within 200 miles I still have NYC, Philly, Pittsburgh, and Baltimore/DC. Its a pretty fantastic place to recruit from at the D2 level.
My problem in the middle of PA was that there weren't  enough recruits to pull down in the magical 70 mile range.   In NYC and LA  there are a ton and usually 20 or so within 10 miles (which has an increased benefit).

I also found it was pretty expensive to use FSS in PA and NY.   Both states are pretty expensive ($1200 and $1800?) and it gets costly to buy them, NJ, ND, and DC.  In NYC I feel like I have to decide between PA , or a bunch of little states.  In PA, it's the same thing except  it's OHIO and some small states or NY and nothing.

The cost  of FSS is proportionally less at DII but at DIII I find it prohibitive some times.

With that being said, I think I spent 4.5K on FSS last season on my DIII NYU team.
12/1/2012 8:11 AM
There was a good suggestion about being able to purchase FSS within a mile range rather than having to purchase whole states. I've been at Scranton for a few years and within 300 miles is Mass, RI, Conn, NY, NJ, PA, OH, WV, MD, DC, VA and Del. Granted, there's a wealth of good recruits in those states, but in economical terms, purchasing all of them is really foolish.
12/1/2012 11:38 AM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 12/1/2012 8:11:00 AM (view original):
Posted by blackdog3377 on 12/1/2012 4:55:00 AM (view original):

My problem in the middle of PA was that there weren't  enough recruits to pull down in the magical 70 mile range.   In NYC and LA  there are a ton and usually 20 or so within 10 miles (which has an increased benefit).

I also found it was pretty expensive to use FSS in PA and NY.   Both states are pretty expensive ($1200 and $1800?) and it gets costly to buy them, NJ, ND, and DC.  In NYC I feel like I have to decide between PA , or a bunch of little states.  In PA, it's the same thing except  it's OHIO and some small states or NY and nothing.

The cost  of FSS is proportionally less at DII but at DIII I find it prohibitive some times.

With that being said, I think I spent 4.5K on FSS last season on my DIII NYU team.
I didnt want to say this until after signings in Naismith but with 5 open schollies I just spent just under 5K at D2 for PA, NY, NJ, MD, and OH. I ended up spending on average 3.5K per recruit that I signed. Two from PA, two from OH, one from MD.

Generally from PA going west into OH is a good move because there are a fair number of recruits and not nearly as many schools looking that way compared to the east coast.

12/1/2012 8:07 PM
What bothers me are when you're at DIII and you absolutely need a big state or even two but you are in or near New England and there are all sorts of small states to choose from. Which ones do you choose? Do you sacrifice a big state in favor of several small ones or vice versa?

At St. Lawrence as I've mentioned there are usually quite few recruits within the magical 70 miles, and you almost need to FSS New York (bigger state) and so from there depending upon your cash, it can be difficult to make choices sometimes.

A radius around your area would be a good idea, but if it isn't done correctly with the right costs and such, no one would ever FSS by states anymore because you might as well just do the radius and be done with it. So I would think the radius should cost a bit more than the states option.

Still, right now it's obvious some areas are significantly disadvantaged in terms of number of recruits very close by and in terms of having to make state decisions on FSS that other areas don't have to make.

12/3/2012 8:29 AM
◂ Prev 12
Why so few close recruits? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.