3 non BCS teams in it- Penn, Charlotte, and SDSU. And people say they need to make it easier to win at mid-majors... I think it's just a matter of good coaches not being at mid-majors, the good coaches are at BCS teams.
12/2/2012 2:53 PM
All big 12 pit though.
12/2/2012 5:39 PM
It's not just a matter of that.  There's a few other factors.

First and foremost being that there are just too many SIMS in those mid-major conferences.

Secondly, is that mid-level recruits that can develop are really rare.  As I've said since the recruit generation changes, there need to be more guys that start in the high 500's but by the time they are seniors finish in the 800's.  Much more realistic. 
12/2/2012 6:01 PM
Posted by m4284850 on 12/2/2012 2:53:00 PM (view original):
3 non BCS teams in it- Penn, Charlotte, and SDSU. And people say they need to make it easier to win at mid-majors... I think it's just a matter of good coaches not being at mid-majors, the good coaches are at BCS teams.
I have been saying this for a while. The best coaches flock to BCS conf so it's natural for BCS conf teams to dominate the NC. In Rupp, Phelan, and Knight, we are seeing non BCS teams crop up and making deep NT runs, just like the A-10 has done in Iba a short while ago. 
12/2/2012 7:00 PM
Posted by tianyi7886 on 12/2/2012 7:00:00 PM (view original):
I have been saying this for a while. The best coaches flock to BCS conf so it's natural for BCS conf teams to dominate the NC. In Rupp, Phelan, and Knight, we are seeing non BCS teams crop up and making deep NT runs, just like the A-10 has done in Iba a short while ago. 
And why do they flock to BCS conferences?  Baseline prestige. 

I don't think anyone is saying it's impossible for mid majors to have a nice run once in a while.  But sustainability is next to impossible.
12/3/2012 7:43 AM
I think after a certain amount of seasons...say 75-10, baseline should fall away and it should be based solely on conference performance. 
12/3/2012 7:49 AM
Posted by ll316 on 12/3/2012 7:45:00 AM (view original):

I don't think anyone is saying it's impossible for mid majors to have a nice run once in a while.  But sustainability is next to impossible.
CUSA Rupp, MWC Phelan, A-10 Iba, they all have shown that sustainability is possible with C-B baseline.

Heck, dnicolas has even shown that D baseline in a pretty empty Ivy conf is viable as long as you know what you are doing: http://whatifsports.com/hd/TeamProfile/History.aspx?tid=4277
12/3/2012 8:30 AM
Posted by ll316 on 12/3/2012 7:45:00 AM (view original):

I would disagree that it is next to impossible, but would concede that given current realm population statistics, it would be VERY difficult.  However, I would argue that if you had mid majors that were consistently full, minimum 10 humans every year, then alot of those last few in NT entries that now go to lower level big 6 schools would go to the mid majors instead.  The rpi's would increase, tournament cash would increase, recruiting would become more even, etc.

I think if you took the A10, CUSA, MWC and maybe say the Horizon or MVC and filled them all up, we would see a dramatically different game than we do now. 
12/3/2012 8:31 AM
The perception is what hurts mid majors, it's not the actual application of the game. Good coaches can win anywhere. I get the feeling from reading the boards sometimes that people want the game to be in a way where anybody can win anywhere in D1, and that's nonsense. To succeed at D1 you should be an excellent coach, it's the cream of the crop.

There's no doubt in my mind if myself or a great deal of other very good coaches decided to undertake mid majors we'd be successful. Many coaches have proven this to be correct, and yet people still cling to this notion that something is wrong with recruit generation. How can something be wrong if there are quite a few examples of people succeeding?
12/3/2012 10:41 AM
Posted by kmasonbx on 12/3/2012 10:41:00 AM (view original):
The perception is what hurts mid majors, it's not the actual application of the game. Good coaches can win anywhere. I get the feeling from reading the boards sometimes that people want the game to be in a way where anybody can win anywhere in D1, and that's nonsense. To succeed at D1 you should be an excellent coach, it's the cream of the crop.

There's no doubt in my mind if myself or a great deal of other very good coaches decided to undertake mid majors we'd be successful. Many coaches have proven this to be correct, and yet people still cling to this notion that something is wrong with recruit generation. How can something be wrong if there are quite a few examples of people succeeding?
Agreed. I routinely see low end D1 coaches say stuff like the recruits suck, they need better recruits, etc. while there are always a bunch of high 700 and 800+ players on D2 rosters. This is a sign that D1 coaches aren't recruiting properly/effectively. 
12/3/2012 11:09 AM
Wow...I almost shed a tear reading this thread...I've been saying these things for years...Im glad others actually agree with me!
12/3/2012 11:26 AM
If any of you guys are up for it jump into the OVC in Tark; we are trying to fill it up and all stay put; were up to six coaches already. Sign ups end today!
12/3/2012 11:30 AM
I see players at D3 that could play at low end D1. I agree much of the plight of low end D1 - mid majors is not recruiting properly and not having enough human coaches.
12/3/2012 11:30 AM
Yea when I had two D2 teams I would routinely see guys and think "how on Earth did D1 schools let me/coach x get this player." Even while I was as at WVU I would have guys on my D2 team that I would take on that team, let alone if I was at a low-mid D1 school. 
12/3/2012 11:41 AM
No one is saying that it's impossible to win outside of the BCS.

The real question is whether it is too difficult. I tend to think it is.
12/3/2012 12:40 PM
12 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.