redshirting a senior? Topic

i just took over a div3 school. i have 5 freshmen in the class i just recruited. i also have 7 seniors. if i redshirt one of my seniors (to balance out my classes a bit)...will he accept the redshirt and stay another season...or will he leave after this season anyway?
12/12/2012 11:48 AM
He'll take a massive WE hit, but he'll stay.
12/12/2012 11:56 AM
If you redshirt a senior who has already maxed out all of his potentials (he is red everywhere but WE) then it won't make any difference as he doesn't need to develop any more anyway.
12/12/2012 12:16 PM
thanks guys. thats what i was thinking. so i can leave him off my depth chart, and gamble that he wont play in any of the games...and try to get the most growth out of him this season, before redshirting him toward the end of the year? what is the latest we are allowed to put a redshirt on a player?
12/12/2012 4:38 PM
Posted by andrew5975 on 12/12/2012 4:38:00 PM (view original):
thanks guys. thats what i was thinking. so i can leave him off my depth chart, and gamble that he wont play in any of the games...and try to get the most growth out of him this season, before redshirting him toward the end of the year? what is the latest we are allowed to put a redshirt on a player?
I've never tried this, but I think it would be better for you to redshirt him before the season and not benching him for the season. I feel like benching a player would make his WE drop before you redshirt him...which then redshirting him would dilute even further.
12/12/2012 4:43 PM
If you redshirt a senior his WE is almost always going to drop to 5 or lower, usually 1.  So it doesn't really matter if it drops some during the season, it's not gonna go much lower than 1 at the end.  The only real risk is that with 5 freshmen maybe foul trouble crops up badly and the guy gets put in the game in spite of being left off the depth chart.  That's not particularly common, but it's not unheard of, and if it happened you'd really be mad at yourself.
12/12/2012 4:47 PM
thanks for the insight fellas
12/12/2012 8:16 PM
rare is the senior who will gladly sit on the bench all season without complaining about playing time. If he still has enough room for improvement that WE matters I recommend just playing him...
12/12/2012 8:59 PM
Posted by andrew5975 on 12/12/2012 4:38:00 PM (view original):
I actually planned on doing this with a player and he ended up getting in the game with like 4 seconds left in one of the last games of the season (the game was against seble, no less) and he didn't even record a minute played!  He was in there for short a period of time he didn't even get credit for it, but my option to RS was taken away.  So, now (and I am doing it right now) I RS them at the beginning of the season, because if it is that big of a deal to have them next season, I'm going to make damn sure I have them next season.  
12/12/2012 9:34 PM
redshirting a player does not slow his growth, compared to sitting him, if he doesn't lose work ethic. now if its a senior and you are going to lose it, thats one thing. but with freshman, you should never take that chance. the loss in redshirt growth is because they get 0m playing time. play a freshman for 5m a game, and hes only very slightly higher.
12/12/2012 10:47 PM
Bench him, put him on mop up, then he will grow some what during the season, then redshirt him toward the end, so the we hit is not 1-5 for the whole season.  They only come in games if they are on the depth chart with mop up, or very rarely not on the depth chart but also not on mop up.
12/13/2012 4:40 AM
they may still enter the game not on depth chart and on mop up if there are foul issues or injuries...
12/13/2012 5:44 AM
the senior im looking to redshirt is pretty horrible. im not expecting him to contribute next season either. im just doing it to balance out my classes a bit
12/13/2012 9:16 AM
Then just redshirt him now.
12/13/2012 11:07 AM
Posted by andrew5975 on 12/13/2012 9:16:00 AM (view original):
the senior im looking to redshirt is pretty horrible. im not expecting him to contribute next season either. im just doing it to balance out my classes a bit
If he's horrible, don't waste the RS on him. Let him get out of there and recruit a JuCo/transfer or 2 next season.
12/13/2012 11:09 AM
12 Next ▸
redshirting a senior? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.