How to build a battle tested team? Topic

I'm looking at my PSU team in Iba.  What are some thoughts on putting together a strong non-conference schedule vs moving to a full conference of great/good/mediocre teams?  I'm looking for that challenge to game plan for every game.  I know that recruiting is 75% of the game and the other half is in-season planning.  It's easy to build a cupcake non-conf schedule and coast through the conference games with only two or three tough games (as I did this season) - Playing in a tough conference (there are a few in Iba) that will battle test my squad and make recruiting tougher VS playing in a weaker conference while scheduling a tough non-conf (as I did for next season)?  Of course, I could play in a tough, full conference AND schedule a tough non-conf schedule.  My HD skills just are not at the level, yet......
12/15/2012 11:12 AM
You can't really battle test a team in HD. It's not like reality where a team gets better and tougher and more experienced from playing better teams as opposed to cupcakes. It's mostly just an RPI thing. 
12/15/2012 11:25 AM
I'm referring to building "battle tested" program, not just one team.  The coach (me) can get better and more experienced from playing better teams.
12/15/2012 12:09 PM
Sorta
12/18/2012 7:26 AM
"What are some thoughts on putting together a strong non-conference schedule vs moving to a full conference of great/good/mediocre teams? I'm looking for that challenge to game plan for every game."

Then go to a full conference.  When your conference schedule is  meet grinder it makes the regular season that much more fun.   

12/18/2012 9:28 AM
Agreed -- I'd much rather be in a better conference. Aside from the schedule aspect that you mention, it also helps for recruiting cash, and is simply a lot more fun to be in a full conference. You can then manage your non-con as you wish from season to season, depending on how strong your team will be in a particular year, etc.
12/18/2012 10:42 AM
Posted by The__Kid on 12/15/2012 11:12:00 AM (view original):
I'm looking at my PSU team in Iba.  What are some thoughts on putting together a strong non-conference schedule vs moving to a full conference of great/good/mediocre teams?  I'm looking for that challenge to game plan for every game.  I know that recruiting is 75% of the game and the other half is in-season planning.  It's easy to build a cupcake non-conf schedule and coast through the conference games with only two or three tough games (as I did this season) - Playing in a tough conference (there are a few in Iba) that will battle test my squad and make recruiting tougher VS playing in a weaker conference while scheduling a tough non-conf (as I did for next season)?  Of course, I could play in a tough, full conference AND schedule a tough non-conf schedule.  My HD skills just are not at the level, yet......
I had to chuckle a little when I read the sentence about the game being 75% recruiting and the other half in-season planning.  You're not related to Yogi by any chance, are you?
12/18/2012 11:26 AM
Posted by emy1013 on 12/18/2012 11:26:00 AM (view original):
I had to chuckle a little when I read the sentence about the game being 75% recruiting and the other half in-season planning.  You're not related to Yogi by any chance, are you?
+1
12/18/2012 12:03 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 12/18/2012 9:28:00 AM (view original):
"What are some thoughts on putting together a strong non-conference schedule vs moving to a full conference of great/good/mediocre teams? I'm looking for that challenge to game plan for every game."

Then go to a full conference.  When your conference schedule is  meet grinder it makes the regular season that much more fun.   

That was one of my questions.  I'm at a crossroads on whether to leave the team I built to go to a more full conference or stay and keep scheduling games against the cream of the crop.  Pluses and minuses to both of them, I feel.
12/18/2012 12:56 PM
I wondered if that would go right over heads of some guys here....
12/18/2012 12:57 PM
Posted by The__Kid on 12/18/2012 12:56:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Trentonjoe on 12/18/2012 9:28:00 AM (view original):

That was one of my questions.  I'm at a crossroads on whether to leave the team I built to go to a more full conference or stay and keep scheduling games against the cream of the crop.  Pluses and minuses to both of them, I feel.
It's actually the only question you asked.
12/18/2012 2:07 PM
Posted by The__Kid on 12/18/2012 12:57:00 PM (view original):
I wondered if that would go right over heads of some guys here....
Unfortunately, I think it would go over most of the heads playing HD.  Sad but true.
12/18/2012 2:15 PM

I'd vote for a full conference.
I've played in Heartland - Iba when it was about one-third full, and now with 12 coaches.  It's far better with a full house. 

Recruiting isn't necessarily hurt in a full conference.  You get extra recruiting $$ for your conference's post-season games which in a full conference can easily exceed $5k per team.  That's a huge difference.  If the conference has some geographic compression, you might be battling your conference mates more than you like. 

In Iba, I'm partial to any openings in the Heartland or CVAC, as we have a good conference rivalry.  After that, you could look at the Cal CAA, but almost their entire conference is in the state of California.  I'd think that might be a tough road against the established quality programs in that league.  If I'd were you, I'd look at the next best conferences by prestiege (Central Atlantic or GLV), focusing on a school in a large metro area.  There are some good candidates in those leagues. 

12/18/2012 2:29 PM
I agree with everyone saying go to a full conference. Its more of a challenge true but also on the other side playing in an empty conference is just boring. You play 10 games against other people and then pretty much sit in the corner by yourself the rest of the season until the postseason comes around.
12/18/2012 2:38 PM
I would and have done both. I would schedule both cream of the crop non conference games along with playing in an elite conference. If you can get a top 10 SOS along with a .500+ record you will have a deacant seed in the NT no doubt.
12/18/2012 7:19 PM
12 Next ▸
How to build a battle tested team? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.