Is this guy a D1 PG? Topic

I'm pretty new to D1. I'm trying to figure out if this guy is a decent PG for a mid-major D1 team with D prestige, or if I should be aiming higher. All values are expected final ratings.

ATH:      65
SPD:      80
DEF:     70-75
LP:      35
PER:      60
BH:     75
PAS:     75
STA:      90
FT:      A-

12/28/2012 6:46 PM
No
12/28/2012 8:17 PM
Couldn't be much of a D1 Starting PG with the low Passing and pretty low Defense. He could be an OK bench guy, but I would shoot higher.
12/28/2012 10:45 PM
For a D prestige team, he'd be fine.  You'll want to try to recruit a little bit better of a player as your prestige increases, but for now, he'd be adequate.
12/29/2012 12:05 AM (edited)
i agree with emy.  he's better than the PG that will be starting for most D prestige D1's
12/29/2012 12:23 AM
i dont know about that. as low end d1 school, you should be aiming SIGNIFICANTLY higher than the elite d2 schools. that guy is a good d2 player no doubt, but hes really not even an awesome d2 player. in d1, on defense, he kind of sucks. on offense, he kind of sucks. as a pg, ball control skills, he kind of sucks. you can definitely find guys like that for your pg spot who have +10 spd, and +15 def or pass. that alone would make a world of difference.

dont get me wrong, a d prestige school can recruit this PG and be better than the other (mostly sim run, aka, terrible) d1 schools at d prestige. but your goal as any low end d1 team is to make the post season regularly so you can get your prestige up and get your jobs resume up. this pg would be one of the worst starting pgs in the post season. i just think you need to shoot higher. low end d1 schools should do a LOT of scouting, there are better players out there, you just have to find them.
12/29/2012 4:35 AM
Posted by emy1013 on 12/29/2012 12:05:00 AM (view original):
For a D prestige team, he'd be fine.  You'll want to try to recruit a little bit better of a player as your prestige increases, but for now, he'd be adequate.
agree with this. i have a guy like that on my butler team. career backup, knew it when i signed him, but I'll need 15-20 min per game out of him this year. guys like this are a step up for D programs, as long as he's not your top target.

elite d2 teams are able to get quality d1 players so i dont buy that argument
12/29/2012 10:11 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. I ended up deciding to pass on this guy - he just didn't have enough upside. Here's the guy I got instead (STARTING values and potential listed). I'm hoping his higher speed and high-high's in DEF and PAS make him a better fit. He's not perfect either, but I felt he was good enough to contribute.

ATH     58  Low
SPD     80  Avg
DEF     44  High-high
LP     13  Low
PER     73 Low
BH     62  Avg
PAS     51 High-high
STA     71

12/29/2012 5:47 PM
Posted by deer454 on 12/29/2012 10:11:00 AM (view original):
Posted by emy1013 on 12/29/2012 12:05:00 AM (view original):
agree with this. i have a guy like that on my butler team. career backup, knew it when i signed him, but I'll need 15-20 min per game out of him this year. guys like this are a step up for D programs, as long as he's not your top target.

elite d2 teams are able to get quality d1 players so i dont buy that argument
just because elite d2 teams can get decent d1 players doesnt mean low end d1 schools shouldnt be shooting higher. you get triple the money, and a prestige advantage, and can talk to WAY more players. 
12/29/2012 11:34 PM
Is this guy a D1 PG? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.