Looking for a low D1 recruiting/coaching guide Topic

Ok sorry 3 teams in a world can do it, not 2.  And again most of the coaches of those teams are already top notch coaches, yourself included.  For a D prestige school like this guy is at, its just not that simple and he is going to be ****** when he drops a game or 2 in conference play and looses to SIMai in the CT.  Its just not that simple.
1/9/2013 12:41 PM
Posted by cburton23 on 1/9/2013 12:41:00 PM (view original):
Ok sorry 3 teams in a world can do it, not 2.  And again most of the coaches of those teams are already top notch coaches, yourself included.  For a D prestige school like this guy is at, its just not that simple and he is going to be ****** when he drops a game or 2 in conference play and looses to SIMai in the CT.  Its just not that simple.

If you actually clicked on the resume of those 0-2 loss D baseline teams, it should be clear they are not "top notch" coaches, with a career win% at a little over .500 and 0 NCs. 

And look at what I actually wrote in my first post rather than being fixated on the word easy in my response to TJ:

"D1 is about building prestige in increments by having a season every 2-3 seasons where you do significantly better than where you should be. All you need is one season where you win 28-30 games, go to the S16 to boost your prestige from D/D+ to C/C+, while it would take you multiple sub .500 seasons to drop back down to D. For this reason, I'm a big fan of filling all the scholarships when you have a big class (playing the superclass structure) and then go to the 2nd/S16 in your superclasses JR/SR year, get a boost in prestige, and reload."

Again, I'm providing the easiest way to reach high win totals (ideally in the 28-30 range) and make the NT (giving you a whole letter grade improvement in prestige) without you having to be a recruiting wizard, with the same qualifiers I mentioned earlier (you are in an empty simai conf, you schedule for wins in nonconf, you have a superclass of 5/6 JRs/SRs).

I'm not going to debate the meaning of easy or how easy this is when you clearly don't believe that scheduling for wins works in D1. 

1/9/2013 12:54 PM
Posted by tkimble on 1/7/2013 3:38:00 PM (view original):
Posted this elsewhere, applies here as well:

1) You should rarely (if ever) fill all your scholarships.  Go big or go home, that's the only way you're going to improve.  Don't just take a guy because you don't want to come away with nothing.  Most of the time, nothing is better than a crappy big man because that big man is on campus the next four years and a walk-on is only there for 1.

2) You shouldn't ever come away with a well rounded recruit because that probably means he's not good enough anywhere to be effective.  Find guys with extreme strengths and try to set off their weaknesses.  

3) Find the low-rated guys with high-high potentials because taking a big man with 20 LP but  high-high is a lot better than taking a big man with 45 LP and low-high potential because only one of them has a chance at being an elite scorer.  Low D1 in all about high-high potential because that is where your studs come from.  

4) GO INTERNATIONAL!!!!!!  These guys are the high-risk high-reward players and that's exactly what you need.  The bigger schools don't want to deal with most unranked and seemingly untalented international guys because it's a risk they can't really afford to take.  They can find these same types of lowly ranked guys locally, except they know the local guys have great potential and so they take them.  As a lowly ranked D1 school, it's very hard to get a local guy with a bunch of high potentials, but it is SO MUCH EASIER if you go overseas.  Yea, most international guys you scout are going to be ****, but once in a while you find a guy that has high-high potential EVERYWHERE.  Normally, this guy would go to a big 6 school, but since they have no idea of his potentials, you can scoop up this international gem and dominate your conference.
This is spot on; especially #1. This also applies to Big 6 schools with B or lower prestige.
1/9/2013 1:03 PM
Oops, sorry to start a fire storm.

Not that it really matters but I think it is a lot harder to make the S16 at a low DI school than to go 27-0. 
1/9/2013 1:04 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 1/9/2013 1:04:00 PM (view original):
Oops, sorry to start a fire storm.

Not that it really matters but I think it is a lot harder to make the S16 at a low DI school than to go 27-0. 
This is absolutely true. S16 for a D/C prestige team requires you to get lucky in terms of seeding matchup (your opponent is seeded higher than where he should be) and you getting lucky in the game. These two things cannot be controlled by the low D1 team.

Gimmicky things to increase win total like scheduling, loading up a superclass, etc. can be controlled easily.
1/9/2013 1:12 PM
◂ Prev 123
Looking for a low D1 recruiting/coaching guide Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.