Did I get ripped off? Topic

My first year in HD and I tried to utilyze the FSS and unless you pay for another season the scouting service is unavailable. Does anyone know if there are other surprises with this game like if I don't win a certain amount of games my first season then I have to stick my hand in a garbage disposal or something?
1/10/2013 6:52 PM
I also think that without another season you are unable to redshirt or cut players. Use both hands.
1/10/2013 7:02 PM
Haha I remember posting about this a long time ago, must be over five years. Just doesn't seem right that they don't even mention that limitation before you sign up.

Obviously my suggestion wasn't taken on board!
1/10/2013 7:19 PM
they really should change this. i can understand the no redshirting rule without available seasons...but the fss thing is silly. i convinced a friend to play this past season, and the inability to use fss really kind of got him off on the wrong foot...and after a mediocre season he isnt going to renew. i really think if he would have had a different recruiting experience he would have stayed...
1/10/2013 7:26 PM
The FSS rule prevents people from taking either free or cheaply discounted teams with a different ID and then using them to scout for their real team.
1/10/2013 8:33 PM
Yeah, while I understand your annoyance at it, I think the rule is fair because of what blackdog mentioned.
1/10/2013 9:29 PM
Here is the thing, you cannot really experience all this game has to offer in a single season. You should buy two seasons right away any way and make your decision after that.
1/10/2013 9:56 PM
But you don't get 2 seasons at a discount, you get one.  So the new person signs up, plays one less than fulfilling season where they are trying to figure out what the heck is going on and then on top of that feels they are handicapped by the one season purchase, and then quits.

I understand the concern about FSS so I don't know the answer but it seems it might involve encouraging people to play more than one season.

1/10/2013 11:54 PM
Give a "BOGO" option. Two seasons for the price of one for newbies?
1/11/2013 12:06 AM
Posted by blackdog3377 on 1/10/2013 8:33:00 PM (view original):
The FSS rule prevents people from taking either free or cheaply discounted teams with a different ID and then using them to scout for their real team.
Yes...THIS
1/11/2013 3:22 AM
A while ago, WIS tried a free season for new coaches.  I counted 61 new DIII coaches who failed to recruit a single player.
1/11/2013 7:00 AM
I have one scholarship to fill and read the help guide and it mentioned getting FSS at least in the same state, I don't have a problem getting more seasons just was surprised. Kinda reminded me of going to Vegas the more you spend the more you get.
1/11/2013 7:38 AM
Wow I didn't even know FSS didn't work without an additional season. Good to know so I can make purchases before the last minute (which I do anyway most of the time).
1/11/2013 8:40 AM
FSS works without an additional season, as long as your current season is not the $4.95 promo deal or however much it costs.
1/11/2013 7:32 PM
Posted by pyt100 on 1/11/2013 7:38:00 AM (view original):
I have one scholarship to fill and read the help guide and it mentioned getting FSS at least in the same state, I don't have a problem getting more seasons just was surprised. Kinda reminded me of going to Vegas the more you spend the more you get.
If you are only recruiting for 1 open schollie, then FSS may not be very helpful. You'll need it next season (w/8 openings), but it won't do you much good for you this season.   As a new coach with only 1 open schollie, you have the least recruiting budget possible.  I would look for ways to avoid spending it on FSS in order to send more effort to the recruit that you want.

Here's my precise suggestion:  Look for a transfer or Junior College player with 2 seasons remaining (i.e. a Junior); probably a perimeter scorer that might be able to help you this season and fills a need for next season.   FSS would work for a JuCo player, but FSS provides no information on transfers anyhow.  You might send a scouting trip to a JuCo before deciding to pursue him, but you are really looking for a player that already has the ratings that you want (for my suggestion - speed and perimeter ratings).  

There are several benefits to this strategy: you may end up targeting a recruit that others will avoid (e.g. no work ethic); you will avoid having a class of 1 scholarship player; the worst thing you could do with 8 open schollies next season is redshirt a freshman this season; leaving a couple classes with zero scholarships will give you more flexibility later to decide how, or whether, to balance your classes; & you leverage all of your available cash into actually signing a recruit.

[Note: transfers often pop up in the afternoon before the signing period starts; between 2pm - 8 pm est as coaches cut player to make room to sign one or two more players...that can make having some cash at 7:30 pm est very helpful.  So, be patient.  Also, players that are considering other teams often become available overnight after signings.  If you have the money left in your budget, then you may be able to pick one up that appeared to be locked up by another school prior to signings.]

1/11/2013 10:26 PM
Did I get ripped off? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.