Foolishness of Redshirting Topic

Remember we are talking about freshmen.  THEY don't have a good grasp of D2 basketball or their place in the world.  But I'll give you D2 MAYBE thinks of getting a job, but at D1, I bet a ton of freshmen would take the redshirt and additional year. 

I also accept that the unrealistic behavior is just a balancing act to keep the already mentioned cycle from happening and abusing the system.

1/14/2013 7:17 PM
There is only one D2 school in the country that would get you a job making that kind of doe instantly. And that's still a maybe. That school would be Colorado School of Mines. D2 schools are cheap, most people that are athletes in college take their sport pretty serious, they went to school to play ball and if staying a fifth year means playing ball it's an easy choice to stay. You only get one shot for something like playing a sport in college. I went to a powerhouse program for my sport and it was known that you came in, red-shirted, and were expected to hopefully be a contributing member to a national championship your fifth year. 

At least this is my opinion from a former D2 athlete that played a sport without a ball ( Aka....Non mainstream sport, not a Lance Armstrong situation lol).
1/14/2013 7:24 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
I didn't say it was realistic for these guys to have a professional basketball career - just that many, many D2 freshmen are thinking that.  Probably a majority.  Almost definitely a majority.  The vast majority of those guys obviously aren't going to make it, but that doesn't mean they don't THINK they can.  They're all fresh out of high school, where most of them were dominant players, some of the best around.  They feel snubbed to be stuck at D2 schools, and think they're going to "show all those D1 schools that didn't want them what they're missing out on."  Sure, by the time they graduate they may have learned some life lessons and no longer be thinking the same way.  Maybe the guy that took the redshirt decides not to actually stick around for the 5th year and play when the time actually rolls around.  But as freshmen?  They want every chance to show the world what they can do.
1/14/2013 7:34 PM
I love how this became a "DII Athlete Psychology" Thread.
1/14/2013 7:53 PM
I personally know a D2 college hoops player, should he be the next WIS interviewee?
1/14/2013 8:16 PM
Posted by girt25 on 1/14/2013 4:08:00 PM (view original):
You want to make sure a kid will redshirt? Let him know when you're recruiting him. That seems fair and realistic to me.

What would be unrealistic is not to mention it during recruiting and just assume a kid will take it happily because you're not playing him. What actually strikes me as realistic is that a kid might get upset about not playing and want to transfer, that happens in real life all the time -- although WIS is kind here and doesn't make that part of the engine for freshmen unless you've already offered minutes.
I think everyone is missing the point.  If a player wants to be mad for not playing then so be it, be mad and leave at the end of the season... Fortunately for me he is not. That being said, what is the harm in a guy taking a redshirt??? That doesnt meen he is stuck there for a fifth year!  Players leave all the time good and bad!  If we want to speak in realistics, the player should realistically graduate in four years, and he would have the choice of taking that bogus 100k job that someone already mention, or stay in school and play another season.

1/14/2013 8:36 PM
I agree if didnt play last year and you didnt cut him, I would think a RS  should be acceptable
1/14/2013 8:50 PM
The problem is that it doesn't work with the way the game works now.  In order to make that work, you would need to make freshmen in general complain a lot more and be more likely to leave if they didn't play.  Currently they complain little to none and virtually never leave as a result of not playing.  Do you really think it would be better for the game to allow guys to be redshirted free of risk at the end of the season, but also have championship-caliber teams forced to find more minutes for freshmen?  In order for the system to work, one of those sets of things has to happen.  Either freshmen demand playing time and complain when they don't get it, with some risk of transferring, or they continue to treat redshirts the same way at any point in the season, as is currently the case.  It is widely recognized that the old system, where guys would start to take redshirts (maybe because the season had moved along, or maybe by random chance - I think mostly random chance), was basically bad and too easy to manipulate.  Even then it wasn't guaranteed any guy would eventually take it, many did not.  I think this is the best way for the GAME, even if it isn't the most realistic thing in the world.
1/14/2013 9:07 PM
Posted by goofypook on 1/14/2013 8:36:00 PM (view original):
You want to make sure a kid will redshirt? Let him know when you're recruiting him. That seems fair and realistic to me.

What would be unrealistic is not to mention it during recruiting and just assume a kid will take it happily because you're not playing him. What actually strikes me as realistic is that a kid might get upset about not playing and want to transfer, that happens in real life all the time -- although WIS is kind here and doesn't make that part of the engine for freshmen unless you've already offered minutes.
I think everyone is missing the point.  If a player wants to be mad for not playing then so be it, be mad and leave at the end of the season... Fortunately for me he is not. That being said, what is the harm in a guy taking a redshirt??? That doesnt meen he is stuck there for a fifth year!  Players leave all the time good and bad!  If we want to speak in realistics, the player should realistically graduate in four years, and he would have the choice of taking that bogus 100k job that someone already mention, or stay in school and play another season.

So...you're mad he didn't leave after the season?  Because that's the only realistic option I can see happening when a coach doesn't play a guy a single minute all year.
1/14/2013 9:23 PM
Posted by backboy13 on 1/14/2013 8:16:00 PM (view original):
I personally know a D2 college hoops player, should he be the next WIS interviewee?
You bigshot you ;-P
1/14/2013 9:23 PM
Posted by caesari on 1/14/2013 9:23:00 PM (view original):
You bigshot you ;-P
Might I add that he's 7-39 career from the field...
1/14/2013 9:29 PM
Posted by backboy13 on 1/14/2013 9:29:00 PM (view original):
Posted by caesari on 1/14/2013 9:23:00 PM (view original):
You bigshot you ;-P
Might I add that he's 7-39 career from the field...
The coach should have definitely lower his distro.

Back to the topic at hand, since the redshirt fix, no point waiting 1 day to see if he'll take the redshirt. He either will like, kinda like it, dislike it orhate it no matter what the whole season depending what Seble said. I forget, and I'm on phone and can't look it up in a split second
1/14/2013 9:53 PM

Coaches rarely mention redshirting during recruiting in real life. Sometimes the coach doesn't even plan on it and then after workouts they realize they'd be better off having the kid RS. 
1/14/2013 10:24 PM
Basketball, I would guess, has the least amount of red shirts in real life. Football, sure redshirt a qb, future star RB or WR, get used to a big time and a new system. Baseball, yeah, give that stud pitcher some extra development time. Basketball? Let Anthony Davis be what he is and be the best in the sport.

1/15/2013 12:22 AM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
Foolishness of Redshirting Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.