Recruiting and Prestige Topic

Disclaimer that this is D3 question so I don't know how applicable it is at the higher levels...

So I know that schools with higher prestige will see more (e.g. usually better) players in their recruiting searches at the D3 level. And I think I remember reading that there are various degrees of an A+ prestige (e.g., a two-time defending national champion would have a higher A+ prestige than a two-time sweet 16 team, etc.).

If you combine these two things, would a school with a higher A+ prestige see some recruits in a D3 search that a school with a lower A+ prestige would not? (discounting for any players within 70 miles of either school).

1/18/2013 9:57 AM
yes
1/18/2013 11:32 AM
Longer Answer.....

I think of prestige as a 100 point scale.   An F prestige school in DIII would have a zero rating and a two time defending DI champ being a 100.   Each partial letter grade has some sort of value, say  a  "B+" prestege in DIII is 30-33 (just kinda making #'s up).   WIS does it's mumbojumbo equation and your program comes out as a 33.2, it then looks at the chart and poof, you get an A-.

Now, I also think each recruit has some "prestige value" threshold.   For example, say a recruit is a low level DI guard.   The recruit will have some sort of numeric value that says something like:

Prestige values > 50 can recruit this player straight up (so the player will appear on the DII screen, if you're a DII program with a prestige value over 50)
The player will drop down to teams with a prestige value between 44 and 50  (in increments, he'll drop to higher prestige values first)
The player can be pulled down by prestige values between 40 and 50

I think there is some sort of formula that is used to create the players prestige value variable and each player has a real number value. 
1/18/2013 11:42 AM
I hope that makes sense....it does to me but I don't have time to edit for clarity and grammar and all that crap.
1/18/2013 11:43 AM
My scout says: "Doesn't look comfortable with his back to the basket".  Does this mean the recruits is poor at LP or D?
1/19/2013 6:07 PM
That's news to me about prestige.  I always just assumed every A+ prestige was the same.
1/20/2013 5:21 PM
Posted by wizmo312 on 1/19/2013 6:08:00 PM (view original):
My scout says: "Doesn't look comfortable with his back to the basket".  Does this mean the recruits is poor at LP or D?
LP.
1/20/2013 7:59 PM
Posted by xulapaul on 1/20/2013 5:21:00 PM (view original):
That's news to me about prestige.  I always just assumed every A+ prestige was the same.
A few seasons ago, as an A+ prestige, I was able to see a drop down recruit one cycle before a fellow A+ coach. So there are zones  within each prestige level.
1/21/2013 6:30 AM
Posted by joeywheeler1 on 1/20/2013 7:59:00 PM (view original):
Posted by wizmo312 on 1/19/2013 6:08:00 PM (view original):
LP.
it doesn't even mean that, really.  You can get that message with a decent-to-good LP rating.  You can disregard that part, because you already know from the rating how good the player is now.  It's the second half of that sentence you're interested in.
1/21/2013 9:59 AM
Prestige very definitely has different values for every level of letter grade and the schools are ranked from first to last using this number, whatever the system for it may be. I have personally seen as many as 5 cycles of difference in when a player drops for 2 A+ prestige teams. Also similar differences between C+ teams, etc. I have no real idea how this number is determined exactly, but the examples given in the initial post would be the first place I look to determine where my prestige would sit in relation to any other team with the "same" prestige as my team.
1/23/2013 12:08 PM
Recruiting and Prestige Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.