Florida State with a nice roster open in Rupp Topic

1/25/2013 6:07 AM
i put an app in, was a longshot, but got rejected.

really, i had no interest in coming back in rupp - but when you posted, i figured i would just look, i am on this long meeting and cant do anything TOO distracting... but need something to preserve my sanity :)

well, then came the shock - how the HELL am i a longshot for B+ fl st, and A- pittsburgh (rejected for that, too)? im step back for some of those B prestige mid majors. based on colonel's posts, this really makes me wonder about job logic, when you took some time off. i was hoping to be able to start a thread - how the hell did i get this job??? but i got rejected - but still, i dont see how i was even close.

basically, my last 5 were at tulsa - i took it at like D+, rebuild, and after the first recruiting class, i dont think i really had any gas left. that was just before i dropped all my teams except SIUE anyway. so basically, it was a disaster. last 5 seasons sucked - 2 from the last, i made the PIT (2), and 4 seasons back i think i lost in NT rd 1 - the last, 3rd and 5th to last, were all post season misses. my 5 d2 seasons before that were mediocre, 1 missed NT, and like 1 elite 8 or something. i had a couple d3 titles before that, too. 

anyway, i feel like this resume should not be qualified even for a C prestige d1 school, not based on my own opinions, but based on my knowledge of the job system. makes me wonder if they are giving me a boost to try to get me to come back? i wonder if they do that in general, if thats how colonels got his d1 jobs in the first place?

i will go back after jobs, if either job is open, and see if i can app straight into it. not that i want to coach in rupp, i just want to see if it will let me get those jobs, im somewhat blown away they were even longshots. there are B schools that are keep looking, mid majors, but those are the only 2 BCS openings so i dont know how other ones would look.
1/25/2013 2:46 PM
wish you had got the job!
1/25/2013 5:47 PM
but how can 1 nt rd1 and 1 pit rd2 spread over the last 5 seasons, even be close to eligible for those schools?
1/25/2013 10:07 PM
If you come back to Rupp, it should be in C-USA! Finish what you started!
1/26/2013 7:54 AM
Posted by coach_billyg on 1/25/2013 10:07:00 PM (view original):
but how can 1 nt rd1 and 1 pit rd2 spread over the last 5 seasons, even be close to eligible for those schools?
it really shouldn't be from a merit standpoint, but once you reach 400+ career wins (and you have 489 in Rupp), more and more doors open up to you that wouldn't for a similar resume but simply less career wins in that same world.  Longevity counts for a lot in HD. 
1/26/2013 10:49 AM
Posted by girt25 on 1/26/2013 7:54:00 AM (view original):
If you come back to Rupp, it should be in C-USA! Finish what you started!
no open job though...
1/26/2013 1:18 PM
i had an account in tark, my main account. way more wins, 6 d1 NCs, and we had been at UK for a long time, with "good" (from job standpoint only) success - last 10 probably had at least a handful of e8s/f4s, with maybe 1 missed NT if i slacked off real bad, i know i did it a couple times there, but not sure if it was last 10. then that team went 1-26, because i couldnt figure out how the hell to leave. that resume was NOT QUALIFIED for these kinds of jobs. seems a little backwards to me. i mean really, ive had better d1 resumes, not eligible for anything close to that. i assume a thousand other coaches have too, even with 400+ wins. 

girt - i really had/have absolutely no intention of coming back to rupp, dont like 1/day. i was just willing to waste a season to see if i really could get a job like that. i guess i got shot down, so no - but it still seems ridiculous to me, that its even close. i honestly was curious, when i went to check, if id be eligible for *any* d1 jobs. would have been very surprised if i was eligible for anything decent. sorry again, that tulsa suffered the same fate as my tark d1 teams, 1 ghost shipped final season. i just couldnt take it anymore, and thought i missed the opportunity to leave (i assumed there HAD to be a way to do it, but once things rolled over and got charged, i figured you were screwed - later, i saw on the forums you could just ask to leave - wish i knew that, back then)

edit: CUSA looks full to me anyway, no?

1/26/2013 2:32 PM (edited)
edit: CUSA looks full to me anyway, no?

I think the Marshall mafia would "take care of someone" if need be to make room for you cbg
1/26/2013 5:37 PM
^^^^^^
What my man dac said ... visiting coaches have a way of disappearing on the way to the team bus ... tragic, really.
1/26/2013 9:03 PM
wow girt - thats one hell of a cast of coaches you guys have there. i dont know how you pull those conf records every season against that bunch. emy talks about an HD mt rushmore, but mt rushmore has 4 presidents, and he only lists 3... well, you have my vote for the 4th spot. from what ive seen, there is no coach who has the impressiveness of the programs ive watched you put out. in the new engine. whatever that d2 team you had in rupp was, was phenomenal... unc, montana, and marshall, those are some damn good d1 coaching jobs. im not familiar with your earlier work, but i think ive seen enough. there are actually pretty many killer coaches in this new engine era, so i might be unfair, but i just feel the consistency of excellent coaching in both lower and upper divisions is unmatched...
1/26/2013 9:42 PM
OK, rupp rolled over, and i went to signups. only eligible up to d+ d1, which makes a hell of a lot more sense. must be some glitch, allowing me to sign up for B prestige schools straight up, and longshot to an a- big 6, during signups. thats pretty weird... probably some remnent of the work seble did to job logic or something.
1/27/2013 3:00 AM
Florida State with a nice roster open in Rupp Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.