The search function seems to be pretty bunk. Would this make sense at all? My buddy (seriously,  not my situation!) is in his first year at a D3 school and is playing for the ct championship today. He runs a fb tcp, and the other team does not shoot any 3's. Does it make sense to run a -5 while running a fcp? I really don't know anything about pressing in this game, would running a -5 have a negative affect on his trapping abilities? Thanks guys.
2/2/2013 11:36 AM
You would think that running a FCP at a -5 would be counterintuitive and in real life it probably would be, but here it can work and can work effectively in the right situations.  If I were your friend, I'd be a little careful about running defenses at extreme settings as they tend to produce extreme results (at least moreso than balanced settings, which tends to make sense if you think about it), but if his opponent doesn't shoot any threes, a -5 could be very effective against his team.
2/2/2013 11:52 AM
Thanks for the input. In the end it'll be his choice, but I am just trying to give him the best info that I can. 
2/2/2013 11:56 AM
One other thing to consider.  FCP generally commits more fouls than the other two defenses.  On top of that, the way this game works, the farther you pack your defense in, the more fouls you generally commit.  So your friend is potentially looking at a double whammy as far as fouls go.  Just one more thing for him to think about.
2/2/2013 1:48 PM
Yeah I remembered that too. He did see quite a bit of foul trouble. In fact that is probably why he lost. 

We considered a few more things and decided to not play a -5. I just didn't think in the end it fit his teams strengths. I think he did used a -1 and -3 though for the halves. I appreciate the advice. It's probably worth saying that his team did out perform the other team in almost every category. 
2/2/2013 2:50 PM
I always smile when someone playing press against me is set to -5. It's a bad strategy.
2/2/2013 6:49 PM
Posted by emy1013 on 2/2/2013 1:49:00 PM (view original):
One other thing to consider.  FCP generally commits more fouls than the other two defenses.  On top of that, the way this game works, the farther you pack your defense in, the more fouls you generally commit.  So your friend is potentially looking at a double whammy as far as fouls go.  Just one more thing for him to think about.
Yeah, I'd love to see how many fouls this team would be committing running FCP and -5 on a regular basis
2/3/2013 7:50 AM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.