Least amount you've ever spent on a recruit Topic

Just wondering, anyone signed someone for $100?
2/18/2013 12:27 PM
i havent, ive only gotten em for 110. i got people to consider me for 10... but never was able to sign for 100. although i wonder, it very well might be possible for an a+ d1 school to sign the crappiest guy the AD allows you to sign, on just a scholarship offer. 
2/18/2013 12:31 PM
I'd be interested to know the least someone paid to recruit a guy WITHOUT using promised starts or minutes.
2/18/2013 2:19 PM
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you could sign anyone for 100 -- my understanding is you need to make some type of contact in order for the scholarship offer to be considered, in which case 110 would be the absolute minimum possible within the game dynamic.
2/18/2013 2:29 PM
$110.  Phone call and a scholarship.

Not sure if it's possible to get a guy for just $100.

2/18/2013 3:01 PM
What about when a guy contacts you first?  They've always been guys I would never consider, but maybe that could lead to a $100 signing?
2/18/2013 5:56 PM
Posted by bistiza on 2/18/2013 2:19:00 PM (view original):
I'd be interested to know the least someone paid to recruit a guy WITHOUT using promised starts or minutes.
I was under the impression that this does nothing unless you are already being considered
2/18/2013 6:04 PM
Posted by guyo26 on 2/18/2013 5:56:00 PM (view original):
What about when a guy contacts you first?  They've always been guys I would never consider, but maybe that could lead to a $100 signing?
Never been desperate enough to even talk to those guys, so I'm not sure how they react differently, if at all. But that brings up another hypothetical "what about" -- what about those kids you put effort into the previous recruiting season who never signed with anyone and who begin the year on your summary list with some carryover recruiting effort from the previous year? Depending how much residual effort carried forward from the previous season and/or how late into the signing period you go, maybe it's possible to get one of those guys as a J1 for just the cost of a scholarship due to the strength of your recruiting effort the previous year?
2/18/2013 6:07 PM
I had 1 once for $110 on the last day of recruiting in the last few cycles. Not much of a player, a career backup but better than a walkon at that stage of the teams growth..
2/18/2013 8:44 PM
Posted by gillispie1 on 2/18/2013 12:31:00 PM (view original):
i havent, ive only gotten em for 110. i got people to consider me for 10... but never was able to sign for 100. although i wonder, it very well might be possible for an a+ d1 school to sign the crappiest guy the AD allows you to sign, on just a scholarship offer. 
Your "crappiest guy the AD allows you to sign" comment caught my attention.  At D1 does your AD not even let you sign, say, a D3 player?
2/18/2013 8:48 PM
Posted by rednu on 2/18/2013 6:07:00 PM (view original):
Never been desperate enough to even talk to those guys, so I'm not sure how they react differently, if at all. But that brings up another hypothetical "what about" -- what about those kids you put effort into the previous recruiting season who never signed with anyone and who begin the year on your summary list with some carryover recruiting effort from the previous year? Depending how much residual effort carried forward from the previous season and/or how late into the signing period you go, maybe it's possible to get one of those guys as a J1 for just the cost of a scholarship due to the strength of your recruiting effort the previous year?
I've had one still considering me the following year based on last years effort, and sign for just the scholarship in THAT year, of course, that's sorta not really only spending 100 on them, you just spent the rest the previous year.
2/18/2013 9:09 PM
Posted by a_in_the_b on 2/18/2013 9:09:00 PM (view original):
Posted by rednu on 2/18/2013 6:07:00 PM (view original):
I've had one still considering me the following year based on last years effort, and sign for just the scholarship in THAT year, of course, that's sorta not really only spending 100 on them, you just spent the rest the previous year.
I had thought of that angle too, but yeah, to me you'd spent more than $100 it was just spent the prior year.
2/18/2013 10:08 PM
Posted by clouseb on 2/18/2013 8:48:00 PM (view original):
Posted by gillispie1 on 2/18/2013 12:31:00 PM (view original):
Your "crappiest guy the AD allows you to sign" comment caught my attention.  At D1 does your AD not even let you sign, say, a D3 player?
I tried to sign a crap player (1 yr. left) at DI as it was the last spot and it would give me $4K in carryover money instead of taking the walk-on; AD denied the Scholly immediately after I offered it
2/18/2013 10:35 PM
Posted by paynebrow on 2/18/2013 6:04:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bistiza on 2/18/2013 2:19:00 PM (view original):
I was under the impression that this does nothing unless you are already being considered
Not from what I've seen.

A number of people (particularly at DI) have used a scholarship plus a promised start to GET people to consider them on the cheap. I know in one world whoever was coaching Maryland had about 20 people considering him on the second cycle and I suspect it had to be due to this move unless he's wasting a lot of cash on visits for players he'll never get.

2/19/2013 8:43 AM
You can sign a JUCO for $100 that you put effort into who went JUCO on you the next season that you signed, since you keep all that effort.  That's the only time I've ever got the $100 thing to work. 
2/19/2013 11:10 AM
12 Next ▸
Least amount you've ever spent on a recruit Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.