Winning a battle after the first signing cycle Topic

If 2 teams are being considered by a player and the signing cycles are happening is it possible to dump a bunch on a recruit and totally knock the other team off the consider list?  I see it happen all of the time prior to the signing cycles.  One time a team is being considered the very next cycle a totally new team is being considered and the old one doesn't seem to exist.  If it is possible, will the player sign immediately or will he still wait a cycle or 2 to see if the other team (old team) puts money back on him?  Thanks
2/20/2013 11:30 PM
It is possible to completely turn the tables and have him considering only you, but I have never seen him sign that same period. The other team will most likely have a cycle or 2 for rebuttal. On a somewhat related note, I have dumped a bunch of money on an undecided player after the signing period has begun and he went straight from considering no one to signing.
2/21/2013 1:22 AM
Very possible. And right, if the team totally knocks the other team off the recruit the cycle before signing, the recruit will sign with the considering team the next cycle if not enough effort is put into the recruit by the other team.
2/21/2013 11:29 AM
I lost a recruit right at signing time that I had the lead on (embarrassingly enough on a kid I actually started a thread about ******** about why do teams jump in on a kid they have no chance of winning... if I had spent my bankroll maybe I'd have been right). Presumably the trailing team sent enough effort (I don't know how much enough is) the last cycle before signings to sign the kid straight up at 8 EST. Always a risk, especially if you don't have a clear lead (fss shows struggling). I had tons of money in reserve, but was trying to save carryover. Lesson learned - if you lose a battle with money in the bank it is your fault...
2/21/2013 12:28 PM
I have noticed FSS has been off as of late. I have gotten messages that have changed in FSS but never received any scholly emails from recruits. So maybe it can happen where a kid will sign straight up at 8:01 signing cycle with 2 considering schools. I would say that maybe FSS was inaccurate for you as it has been for me lately, combined with the amount of money your opponent may have poured into the recruit. I've been completely bought off recruits at signing before and there was still a cycle left for recruitment before the kid actually signed with the opposing school.
2/21/2013 4:14 PM
It doesn't mean that it's off -- it just means that FSS and the schollie messages don't operate on the exact same criteria.
2/21/2013 9:18 PM
As far as I saw they have in the past.
2/21/2013 10:07 PM
No, there's always been a difference. You can have a change in one and not the other.
2/22/2013 6:13 AM
Posted by girt25 on 2/22/2013 6:13:00 AM (view original):
No, there's always been a difference. You can have a change in one and not the other.
girt is definitely right, no doubt about it. you can get the highest and lowest scholarship messages with FSS showing even, just as you have been able to in cycle 1.

dac - the situation you are discussing has been experienced by many coaches, on both sides. many a clever coach have won a battle they couldn't win in the long term, by going all-in in the short term. it happened to me against an old conf mate in d3, and he was open and told me how much he spent, and ive done the same thing a bunch of times. interestingly, the last 2 times i tried in d1 (not necessarily that i'd lose long term), i got the player considering me alone in the 2nd cycle i was on him, instead of having him sign straight away. i guess there is some logic or something where the player gives you an extra cycle. last time it happened to me from the wrong side was just last season in d1 tark, and i lost the guy with a ton of money left, thinking he wouldnt sign straight away (because of my last 2 experiences), but he did. so im not sure why one guy does and other doesnt, there were plenty of differences in the situations, but its definitely possible it goes either way. ive never seen it in d2/d3, where the guy wont sign immediately when one school knocks the other off in the cycle of signings (or later), so my guess is it has something to do with amount of money spent (but im not sure if that is before or after the approach of the other school - or both).
2/22/2013 11:19 AM
The likely difference: If you're already in the lead for a player, and then you put in a ton of effort and knock the other team off, he can sign right away. But if the other team is leading and you put in a lot of effort and knock them off, he's supposed to wait a cycle before signing.
2/23/2013 7:59 AM
Posted by girt25 on 2/23/2013 7:59:00 AM (view original):
The likely difference: If you're already in the lead for a player, and then you put in a ton of effort and knock the other team off, he can sign right away. But if the other team is leading and you put in a lot of effort and knock them off, he's supposed to wait a cycle before signing.
Girt, how new is this and are you sure? I had to search through old threads to find the details since my memory sucks (there are actually 2 threads - one where I proclaim my certain victory and another where I try to figure out how I lost after proclaiming certain victory). Short of it is I was leading on an international recruit all along leading up to signings and the other team signed the recruit on the first signing cycle without me getting another notice that I was behind.
2/23/2013 9:24 AM
Posted by jjwarden on 2/20/2013 11:30:00 PM (view original):
If 2 teams are being considered by a player and the signing cycles are happening is it possible to dump a bunch on a recruit and totally knock the other team off the consider list?  I see it happen all of the time prior to the signing cycles.  One time a team is being considered the very next cycle a totally new team is being considered and the old one doesn't seem to exist.  If it is possible, will the player sign immediately or will he still wait a cycle or 2 to see if the other team (old team) puts money back on him?  Thanks
I hadn't ever seen this in D2 up until the recruiting cycle just ended.  I was being considered by a PF who was within advantageous range when another school jumped on him.  I decided to bump my effort and sent some HV and a CV.  But the recruit rejected my additional effort and dropped me from consideration while "definitely leaning" to the other coach.  It felt like getting a door slammed in my face.

The only conclusion that made sense to me was that the other coach dumped most of his cash into the player, enough to make him stronger than "definitely leaning" (is there a "I'm going to have the school mascot tattooed on my ***" message?).  It was the first time I think I've ever seen that happen in 17 seasons, at least to me.

2/23/2013 11:49 AM
Posted by girt25 on 2/23/2013 7:59:00 AM (view original):
interesting, i seem to think ive come from behind, knocked a guy off, and had people sign, but i can't say for sure. in the cases i was talking about in d1, it was always a guy coming from behind in the bigger sense, but i dont remember how things stood after initially putting effort in, going into the next cycle. ill have to keep that in mind in the future, although im still skeptical they always wait a cycle. 
2/23/2013 1:53 PM
dac/billg -- I think part of the issue is that, because the messages are (a) confusing and (b) sometimes downright misleading, you may think you're ahead when you're not (or vice versa).

The other possibility -- always very, very possible -- is that things just aren't working as they're supposed to.

The best small/quick change they could make in HD would be to make the schollie messages easily understandable. They could do it in 20 minutes if they were so inclined.

2/23/2013 5:20 PM
Winning a battle after the first signing cycle Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.