recruiting help Topic

there is a player I am eye balling, we are less than 24 hours away from signing period and he rejected my scholly and home visit attempt...  hes considering nobody as of right now -- should i drop some scouting trips his way and then retry scholly/home visit?? the problem is the guy is almost 600 miles away and SC are almost $600 a visit so I want to be very cautious but I also really want this guy.
2/23/2013 7:14 PM
It's not a sure thing he will consider you with one st and a scholarship. CAN You start him? That's a cheap way to get a guy to consider you.
2/23/2013 7:47 PM
If he declined your scholarship then you can't get him.  If the scholarship is still pending then you may have a chance.  What did he say when you sent him a phone call? 
2/23/2013 8:29 PM
i typically dont waste $ on phone calls... the response to a home visit was this

Coach, I just can't say yes right now...which is a very polite way of saying no. No, no, no, no, no. I gotta teammate you may like, he's doing time right now, but when he gets out he's going to be a player. You want me to hook you up with him?

LOL -- i'm wondering if come signing period he doesn't have anybody considering if I can drop a scholly with 6-7 Scouting Trips and land him

2/23/2013 10:10 PM
Maybe it's time to waste that $10 on a phone call, because that's how you know if a player can be pulled down...
2/23/2013 10:18 PM
It sometimes happens that  a recruit will "accept" your home visit, but tell you to go to hell about playing for your school.  Now that is a waste of money.  You will save yourself a lot of money and frustration if you just send coach calls to all the top recruits on your list.  Then you can pick who you would like to pull down or who you would like to wait to drop to you......Home visits without knowing if you are a back up option is just a waste of time and potentialy a waste of a lot of money
2/23/2013 10:18 PM
10-4     is it still considered a pull down if he is listed as a d3 player?
2/23/2013 11:32 PM
Posted by zbolton1 on 2/23/2013 11:32:00 PM (view original):
10-4     is it still considered a pull down if he is listed as a d3 player?
No, he wouldn't be a pulldown in this case.  Has he been on your D3 list from the beginning?  Every now and then, there are players on your D3 list that decline your effort.  A few seasons ago, there was a guy rated 405 that was on my D3 list from day 1 and he was only about 30 miles from me.  I sent 2-3 HVs (+ schollie) 4 cycles in a row and he rejected the HVs each time.  Don't remember if he rejected the schollie offer, though.  I took it to mean that there are just some guys that want nothing to do with your school.
2/24/2013 7:46 AM
Posted by zbolton1 on 2/23/2013 10:10:00 PM (view original):
i typically dont waste $ on phone calls... the response to a home visit was this

Coach, I just can't say yes right now...which is a very polite way of saying no. No, no, no, no, no. I gotta teammate you may like, he's doing time right now, but when he gets out he's going to be a player. You want me to hook you up with him?

LOL -- i'm wondering if come signing period he doesn't have anybody considering if I can drop a scholly with 6-7 Scouting Trips and land him

So instead of wasting ten dollars on a phone call, you might waste 400 dollars plus on a scholarship plus home visit?

Phone calls first, at least on people not on your own divisions search results, is much more efficient expenditure of money.
2/24/2013 8:11 AM
always make the phone call first. Otherwise, all you're doing is  wasting money. 
2/24/2013 11:46 AM
Yes -- what bbunch said.

zbolton, the best thing (by far) that will come out of this thread for you is that you're going to be able to take a super cheap recruiting tool (calls) that you felt was a waste of money and turn that on its ear -- it's actually by far the best and most efficient (and really the only) way for you to start recruiting guys listed a level above you.

2/24/2013 11:56 AM
the deal is though guys, is this guy isnt a level above me -- he is listed as d3....  I am making 1 final attempt here, offering a starting spot with 20 gauren. minutes along with another scholly.... if this doesnt work im out $400  -- with 1 scholly left to fill.... if this attempt fails, i will go do a pull down though! thanks for the tips guys
2/24/2013 8:20 PM
Sometimes players that should be a direct recruit just want a little bit of effort before they let you in their house for a visit (or accept a campus visit in this case where he is 600 miles away). It has happened to me in the past a few times.  It can take as little as a couple of letters to a few ST.  I just depends on how badly you want the guy. If he is a priority send the ST.  I 've had luck getting a guy to sign with out ever doing a home visit.  Pull downs (i Know this guy is not a pulldown) will often start considering you before they start accepting visits.
2/24/2013 8:59 PM
recruiting help Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.