Recruiting Foul or Fairplay? Topic

Posted by Trentonjoe on 3/5/2013 1:42:00 PM (view original):
Have you ever been involved in recruiting?   Because what you say is unrealistic happens all the time.
Have you? Even though we are both obviously posting in this forum and we both obviously have teams I guess that's your attempt at sarcasm. Just because it happens all the time here in HD doesn't mean it's realistic.
3/5/2013 2:55 PM
Dudes - that happens all the time. The best one yet though was when one D1 coach several seasons ago CUT A SENIOR at the signing cycle in order to make room for a signing-cycle-signing of another coach's top recruiting target.  I'm just happy the other coach wasn't me. The topper was both of these coaches were 50 miles apart and in the same conference, where they'd both been "rivals" for close to 40 seasons.  The coach who signed him ended up using him as like a 10th or 11th man. At the time I thought that was a little uncool, but now looking back on it, it makes me laugh.  Just when you think you're safe - your closest rival has 3 open scholarships and 2 four stars and a 5 star considering only him.  So you plunk down a bunch of your cash on a solid 3 star with huge upside and think you're safe.  Ha!
3/5/2013 3:04 PM
That is crazy.  
3/5/2013 3:09 PM
Posted by hawkfan1992 on 3/5/2013 3:04:00 PM (view original):
Dudes - that happens all the time. The best one yet though was when one D1 coach several seasons ago CUT A SENIOR at the signing cycle in order to make room for a signing-cycle-signing of another coach's top recruiting target.  I'm just happy the other coach wasn't me. The topper was both of these coaches were 50 miles apart and in the same conference, where they'd both been "rivals" for close to 40 seasons.  The coach who signed him ended up using him as like a 10th or 11th man. At the time I thought that was a little uncool, but now looking back on it, it makes me laugh.  Just when you think you're safe - your closest rival has 3 open scholarships and 2 four stars and a 5 star considering only him.  So you plunk down a bunch of your cash on a solid 3 star with huge upside and think you're safe.  Ha!
It's always scary when you see a team in your conference with all of their scholarship spots filled cheaply (you know because they've had no battles) has cut a player (it'll show up in the conference news sidebar when it happens) about a half hour before signings and you've over-extended yourself elsewhere.  It is a painful 25 minutes unti you find out whether it was you he was going after or not.
3/5/2013 3:19 PM
It's a neat conference.   I am definitely the dick of the group.
3/5/2013 3:20 PM
Posted by rednation58 on 3/5/2013 2:55:00 PM (view original):
Have you ever been involved in recruiting?   Because what you say is unrealistic happens all the time.
Have you? Even though we are both obviously posting in this forum and we both obviously have teams I guess that's your attempt at sarcasm. Just because it happens all the time here in HD doesn't mean it's realistic.
Sorry, my point (which was unclear) was have you ever been involved in RL recruiting?  I am a HS football coach,   I watch colleges jump on recruits all the time.   It's pretty common practice for kids to "commit" to a school before their senior year and then have schools show up in  January and win kids over.   I've seen it happen to kids in February and on the day BEFORE signing day.   It's bedlam.  or Bedhlam.....one of those.
3/5/2013 3:23 PM
I have.  I am a Head H.S. football and baseball coach.  I will admit real life recruiting is pretty brutal.  Comparing this game and real life is apples and oranges.  Fun insightful discussion though...
3/5/2013 5:26 PM
Posted by chichisteve on 3/4/2013 12:28:00 PM (view original):
Fight me early-fine, we both like the same recruit and all is fair, we both know what we are getting in to, choose to fight me late-fine but I will remember and the favor will be returned at some point...
Or someone who waits and watches you, then spots you cutting one of your players to free up a slot the cycle before signings.  He then jumps on one of your recruits figuring you're one spot short on funds.  At D3, that's lethal.  It's also kind of a dick move even if it is legal.  Losing that recruit set my program back a few seasons and I'm still trying to catch up.

I lost that particular battle and it p*ssed me off.  But it also taught me a lesson to always have enough cash back for battles, and if I want to cut someone to add another recruit it's sometimes best to wait until after signings start.

Sometimes these frustrations can teach us lessons and make us better recruiters.  That's how I look at it.

3/5/2013 6:08 PM
Well said ethan.....
3/5/2013 9:29 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 3/5/2013 3:23:00 PM (view original):
Posted by rednation58 on 3/5/2013 2:55:00 PM (view original):
Sorry, my point (which was unclear) was have you ever been involved in RL recruiting?  I am a HS football coach,   I watch colleges jump on recruits all the time.   It's pretty common practice for kids to "commit" to a school before their senior year and then have schools show up in  January and win kids over.   I've seen it happen to kids in February and on the day BEFORE signing day.   It's bedlam.  or Bedhlam.....one of those.
Sorry for jumping too early. I can see this though. Depending on who is the better school and when they decide to make a move. I never played a part in recruiting but I did see some big names at my high school. I know the HC played a huge role in where we went and who we spoke to. I just hate the signing cycle thing sometimes. But agree with the previous poster about learning some hard lessons as well in the game.
3/5/2013 10:56 PM
◂ Prev 123
Recruiting Foul or Fairplay? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.