Half Court Press/Zone Topic

I am in D3 now and I took on a zone team, I'm just wondering if people have had success doing a half court/zone.  I'm guessing practice time might be an issue.  If I wanted to attempt to do this are there any suggestions?  Do you think I should just stick to one defensive set?  I'm definitely no expert with HD, and I'm still learning.  thanks for any suggestions. 
3/3/2013 12:48 PM
When I first started out, I picked up a Zone/Press team. I was moderately successful with it, but found I did better while pressing and eventually switched completely it. With the right players the press works very well. I haven't regretted making the switch. I know there are coaches who like doing both. I just felt like I could do better by concentrating on one thing and trying to excel at it.
3/3/2013 1:25 PM
Yeah I may stick with zone for now because that's where my IQ is the best, I'll see how it goes and maybe eventually will add the press to it.  
3/3/2013 2:20 PM

the debate on whether the zone can be really successful is still a bit up for debate by many, but thats mostly bceause there just aren't that many teams who run it and even less who really understand it. With that said, the flexibility it offers is the key to running it successfully.

3/3/2013 3:13 PM
I haven't paid too much attention to DI, or any other world aside from Allen, and just know coaches I've either talked to in depth or are in the Allen world who are very successful with the zone in DII/DIII.  The zone, run properly, can be just as effective as any other defense.  I know people are going to raise they're hands and say blasphemy!!! But it does a great job at keeping teams below 40% FG and normally you foul much less than an opponent, where in a given season you Make way more Foul shots than your opponents shoot.  Some examples are ...

D2 Incarnate Word/Knight
D3 Thomas/Allen
D2 S. Arkansas/Allen
D2 Findlay/Allen
D3 Calvin/Wooden

I'm sure there are a lot of other coaches who have had a lot of success with the zone, it's just those who run it, and are successful with it are few and far between.  Defense matters just as much, if not more, in the zone than any other defense ... reason being, you're going to give up a lot of offensive rebounds and 2nd chances - it's best to have a strong defense to negate that.  I know coaches like to say it's alright to have a bad defender because you can hide them, but I honestly think that's hogwash, and that is my opinion and I will take that to the grave :P -  

on a side note, regarding the OP ... unless you're barretchap or of that ilk running a combo defense, I think it's best to run one set defense in DIII.  Here is a good thread to read up on regarding Hybrid defenses - LINK CLICK HERE

3/3/2013 5:25 PM (edited)
Zone is my favorite set. I believe it is a very viable defense with the proper personnel. It is flexible and most coaches don't have a clue how to attack it or they are just so predictable in how they attack it that it allows you to make the proper adjustments. You just have to know how to recruit for the zone. If you can do that then you will be successful.
3/3/2013 6:33 PM
Posted by reddyred on 3/3/2013 6:33:00 PM (view original):
Zone is my favorite set. I believe it is a very viable defense with the proper personnel. It is flexible and most coaches don't have a clue how to attack it or they are just so predictable in how they attack it that it allows you to make the proper adjustments. You just have to know how to recruit for the zone. If you can do that then you will be successful.
What is important to look for in each position to recruit properly for the zone?
3/3/2013 8:00 PM
I run HCP/Zone in DIII Allen.  This is what some REAL good coaches told me.  You need great REB rating from your LP & C.  You need go Ath/Sp from your PG/SG/SF to keep from penetration.  I'm 7-3 with 56 RPI and 60 SOS.  You don't need good depth in HCP/Zone, but good Def/IQ if running press with zone.  I run it with a 8 man rotation.(Mostly out of necessity, not out of planned).  Also there is a 2/3 or 3/2 zone.  2/3 is standard if team has good LP or REB. 3/2 if there week there and shot alot of 3's with good FG%.  Hope this helps.  I'm no expert, just read alot from experts.
3/3/2013 8:22 PM
Posted by joeykw18 on 3/3/2013 8:00:00 PM (view original):
Posted by reddyred on 3/3/2013 6:33:00 PM (view original):
What is important to look for in each position to recruit properly for the zone?
Elite rebounding in your bigs. I'm talking 90+ guys if you can get them and Elite SB. Def and ATH are important for all positions. Some people vow by speed but I like guards that have high ATH and you can't normally get both at D2. Also if you can find a high stamina offensive stud, he will play way longer in zone and could just cause headaches for your opponent. You don't need high stamina in zone but if you have it then guys can play 35 minutes without much fatigue penalties. I personally like an elite defender than can RB pretty well at SF. If you do recruit a player with bad def, then they must contribute in some other aspect of the game like scoring. I've also had high speed guards with low def that led my team in steals but I'm not sure how consistently that works.
3/4/2013 1:11 PM
I started as a zone-press team and loved the flexibility (you can run 2-3, 3-2, 2-3 w. press, 3-2 w. press or straight press on any given night...gameplanning options are fun to have!), but finally ditched the zone component and went straight press for the added turnovers it created (the new engine switchover, in my opinion, really neutered the combo defense vs. what it had been old-engine). The 20 minutes I was throwing into the zone half of things seemed better used by bumping the press from 20 to 25 minutes of practice time and lacing the other 15 minutes into individual practice plans (and the press required more bench minutes, so my younger players improved slightly faster due to more minutes played as well under the press...).

Can a combo still be run well -- absolutely. In addition to the attributes mentioned by some of the above (the REB and SB are an absolute must in your bigs if running zone/press), I would also add that you need to pay greater attention to WE than you would in most other defenses. Since you're almost forced to sacrifice individual minutes (or risk not putting enough minutes in team practice to raise IQ's all the way, which I would say is a bad way to go), you need guys who will reach their max potential with reduced practice time.

3/4/2013 1:30 PM
It all comes down to how long you are going to be at the school. Even if its a DIII team and you want to make it 100% yours before you move one. You pick your base D then put a few points into the second one. The first two season you pick your spots when you run it in a game. Season three you start to run it full time. By this team you have two classes that are strong in both sets. And then you just run full time from that point out. You will always have 6-8 guys that are strong in both sets. 
3/4/2013 3:17 PM
Half Court Press/Zone Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.