So, opinions ... Topic

How much can athleticism and defense make up for lack of speed at shooting guard? If you have someone who otherwise has acceptable guard stats but, say, a fifty speed, a ninety plus ath and a ninety plus defense, how much of a liability would they be defensively at sg? (D2).
3/6/2013 8:00 AM
first thing I would consider with such a guy is whether he can play the 3 spot instead of the 2

if he cant rebound at all, I bet he could still be fine at the 2 at D2 with those numbers - but if he can rebound he could be a terrific SF
3/6/2013 8:26 AM
If I have any guy who is 90 plus at ath and def who also had a 50 plus speed, I wouldn't worry about the lower speed in the least. 

Where he plays would depend upon who else was on my team and what his other attributes are - if he has more PER, BH, P, then he's the 2 and if he tends toward more REB and LP than an average 2 he'd be  a 3.

The speed is of minimal concern to me. Sure, you'd love it (and any rating, really) to be higher if it could be, but it's not even more than a fleeting thought at most for me.

3/6/2013 8:30 AM
If he has the other cores then with that high ath 50s speed would definitely be acceptable at D2. You might want to be careful matching him up against some of the 90+ speed guards but overall he should do fine.
3/6/2013 8:56 AM
He's an above average perimter defender in my opinion.  I wouldn't worry at all.
3/6/2013 9:15 AM
If it's low 50's I would be somewhat concerned but if his speed is like 59 (or upper 50's), I wouldn't worry too much. I'm not a press master but it seems that lack of speed would be an issue on a pressing team more than any other set. I would prefer a guy like that playing the 3 as well and maybe playing 2 in my second or third rotation.
3/6/2013 10:30 AM
I have a guy at my Kentucky Wesleyan team that's 63 ATH, 57 SPD, 76 DEF that's been starting at SG since his freshman year (he's 1 REB and 82 PER, 72 BH, 82 P, which is why he's not at SF). Seems to defend the position well enough to me, and he's been an absolutely lights out shooter (shot better than my PG, who has better SPD, PER, and BH but ATH around 40). 
3/6/2013 10:42 AM
I looked at that guy and can't figure out why he is so good offensively.    I mean 57 SPD, 82 PER, 72 BH isn't bad but I didn't think he would be 41%  on his three point attempts.
3/6/2013 11:32 AM
I've seen a TON of guys with worse ratings than 57 SPD, 82 PER, 72 BH who shoot above 40 percent on threes. I'm not sure why that's so shocking.
3/6/2013 12:32 PM
at DII?  With a top 50 schedule?
3/6/2013 12:52 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 3/6/2013 12:52:00 PM (view original):
at DII?  With a top 50 schedule?
Yep

www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfile/Ratings.aspx

Sure he is coming off the bench but thats against the #11 SOS
3/6/2013 2:18 PM
Why are all those teams playing a -2 against you?    I looked at most of your losses (which is you know, why they played a -2, because it was the right call), did most teams play -'s against you?

I might need to rethink what makes a good 3 point shooter....
3/6/2013 2:54 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 3/6/2013 11:32:00 AM (view original):
I looked at that guy and can't figure out why he is so good offensively.    I mean 57 SPD, 82 PER, 72 BH isn't bad but I didn't think he would be 41%  on his three point attempts.
To be honest, I haven't figured it out either. But he's been doing it since his freshman year, and I keep bumping his distro, and he keeps on making shots. 

I'm still not totally sure what all goes into being a great three-point shooter, except that PER is pretty important and that playing at PG lowers your three-point percentage. 
3/6/2013 3:15 PM
Posted by tarvolon on 3/6/2013 3:15:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Trentonjoe on 3/6/2013 11:32:00 AM (view original):
To be honest, I haven't figured it out either. But he's been doing it since his freshman year, and I keep bumping his distro, and he keeps on making shots. 

I'm still not totally sure what all goes into being a great three-point shooter, except that PER is pretty important and that playing at PG lowers your three-point percentage. 
playing at PG doesnt lower your 3pt %, in my experience.
3/6/2013 3:27 PM
Posted by a_in_the_b on 3/6/2013 8:00:00 AM (view original):
How much can athleticism and defense make up for lack of speed at shooting guard? If you have someone who otherwise has acceptable guard stats but, say, a fifty speed, a ninety plus ath and a ninety plus defense, how much of a liability would they be defensively at sg? (D2).
a 90 ath/def 50 spd guard sounds great to me, for d2. thats not a defensive liability to any extent, my concern would definitely be more on the offensive side, specifically, if my team can shoot enough 3s with a SG like that. not knowing the rest of the ratings, i cant speak in absolutes, of course - but id consider 90/50/90 to be very very promising.
3/6/2013 3:29 PM
12 Next ▸
So, opinions ... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.