Defensive Matchup Setting Topic

Defensive Matchup Setting

Does anyone think a defensive matchup setting would be useful and practical? Many times I would like for a SF to gaurd a SG because my SF is my best defender, but lacks the core pg skills to play that position. Kinda like how a defensive stopper say like a Bruce Bowen would gaurd Kobe even though Bowen was a SF and Kobe a SG. This has happened to me many times, if have to pick either one DEF/OFF, you can not have best of both worlds. For zone you can dictate if your stronger player plays weak/strong side. On DEF you can match players up instead of being based on how you play them offensively.

Does anyone share these opinions?

3/8/2013 9:45 AM
I would like to see that.   I hate playing the guessing game of where coach johnny is going to play his better big man or perimeter player.   I love when I move my better defender to the 4 and he moves his better scorer to the 5.
3/8/2013 10:23 AM
Its hard, I hate moving a SG with high DEF/Speed/ATH over to PG if his ball handling and passing is not what i want for a PG.
3/8/2013 7:37 PM
I have thought that it should be an option for a long time.
3/9/2013 9:49 AM
I think everyone would love to see this. The question is how difficult it would be from a  programming standpoint.

And heck, I don't really trust their current matchup stuff ... I'd like to see them get that piece down better before making an attempt to complicate it.

3/9/2013 10:29 AM
i think it would be useful and practical, and having gone through the effort to consider the difficulty of implementing such an approach, if you were going to write a sim engine from scratch, its not that difficult. but my guess is to shoe-horn it into the HD engine, the effort would be somewhat higher. i dont know how they do defenders exactly, but one would think they could give us something most of the way there fairly easily. for example, if you could only use this in m2m, and in m2m, the HD sim engine simply thinks, the primary defender for player X (on their team) is player A (on your team), because both are currently playing PG - you'd think you could specify who you want your defenders to primarily defend, and the HD engine could substitute who the primary defender is, without that much trouble. if the whole team is being used to calculate defensive values, it might be tricky deciding how to weight the remaining players, but i honestly dont think it could be that bad. not at the WIS standard of excellence, at least :O

there are some complications that arise to really get it right, but that would be a much longer post, so i wont get into it.
3/9/2013 11:15 PM
Posted by girt25 on 3/9/2013 10:29:00 AM (view original):
I think everyone would love to see this. The question is how difficult it would be from a  programming standpoint.

And heck, I don't really trust their current matchup stuff ... I'd like to see them get that piece down better before making an attempt to complicate it.

would you care to elaborate on the second part there? 
3/9/2013 11:15 PM
Defensive Matchup Setting Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.