Improving Athleticism Topic

I have a couple players that have low ratings in ATH (20s and 30s) but high potential (don't remember if it's high-high). They are about to start their sophomore and junior seasons, so they have had a significant amount of practice time. I have given them upwards of 30 minutes of practice time on FW ever since I recruited them as freshmen. In one case the DEF rating improved but no change in ATH. In the other case, absolutely no change to DEF (low potential so not shocking) or ATH. I do understand that ATH isn't going to improve as fast as LP or PER, but at this rate it appears that they will not improve at all, despite their high potential. WE ranges from mid 30's to mid 40's, so that doesn't seem to be a major factor.

I have another similar player getting a similar practice regimen and his ATH did improve quite a bit. So hopefully we can rule out total coaching incompetence. Partial incompetence is still on the table for discussion however...

Thoughts/Suggestions?
3/18/2013 11:42 AM
FW affects DEF, BLK, and slightly affects LP. Conditioning affects ATH, SPD, STA, and DUR... Conditioning, not FW, improves ATH.
3/18/2013 11:45 AM
conditioning!!

think coach carter - gentlemen, you owe me.....
3/18/2013 11:50 AM
Posted by mroylanc on 3/18/2013 11:42:00 AM (view original):
I have a couple players that have low ratings in ATH (20s and 30s) but high potential (don't remember if it's high-high). They are about to start their sophomore and junior seasons, so they have had a significant amount of practice time. I have given them upwards of 30 minutes of practice time on FW ever since I recruited them as freshmen. In one case the DEF rating improved but no change in ATH. In the other case, absolutely no change to DEF (low potential so not shocking) or ATH. I do understand that ATH isn't going to improve as fast as LP or PER, but at this rate it appears that they will not improve at all, despite their high potential. WE ranges from mid 30's to mid 40's, so that doesn't seem to be a major factor.

I have another similar player getting a similar practice regimen and his ATH did improve quite a bit. So hopefully we can rule out total coaching incompetence. Partial incompetence is still on the table for discussion however...

Thoughts/Suggestions?
Looks like total incompetence is back on the table!
3/18/2013 12:03 PM
Touche blackdog! Well I guess that's a simple fix. I always thought Conditioning played a minor role in ATH and that FW was the major one. Doesn't sound like they are interconnected at all. Thanks for the help.
3/18/2013 12:23 PM
Posted by mroylanc on 3/18/2013 12:23:00 PM (view original):
Touche blackdog! Well I guess that's a simple fix. I always thought Conditioning played a minor role in ATH and that FW was the major one. Doesn't sound like they are interconnected at all. Thanks for the help.
the simple yet effective way to think of FW is, defense only. now sure it does have a MINOR impact on lp and blk but you dont need to practice FW to improve either of those, it seems. blk has always sort of went up on its own, seemingly, and lp does WAY more to improve lp than FW does.
3/18/2013 12:34 PM
Wait, I though FW was for DEF and BLK... and that seems to have shown to be true for my players' improvements...
3/18/2013 1:22 PM
Posted by gillispie1 on 3/18/2013 12:34:00 PM (view original):
the simple yet effective way to think of FW is, defense only. now sure it does have a MINOR impact on lp and blk but you dont need to practice FW to improve either of those, it seems. blk has always sort of went up on its own, seemingly, and lp does WAY more to improve lp than FW does.
Yeah, I think FW improves BLK just as much as it does DEF (not literally just as much, but meaning that it focuses on both significantly)... Otherwise, where would improvement in BLK come from?
3/18/2013 1:47 PM
Just looked it up in the FAQ... FW is indeed DEF, BLK, and a little bit of LP, and Conditioning is all four that I previously mentioned along with BLK, which could explain increases in BLK with little practice time in FW.
3/18/2013 1:50 PM
Posted by backboy13 on 3/18/2013 1:50:00 PM (view original):
Just looked it up in the FAQ... FW is indeed DEF, BLK, and a little bit of LP, and Conditioning is all four that I previously mentioned along with BLK, which could explain increases in BLK with little practice time in FW.
the quality of info in the FAQ is far below the quality of a consensus answer on the forums (its not even in the same ballpark). just a forewarning. there is some good info there, but not really the kind you would want if you were looking for a straight forward answer to a simple question, which is generally the intention of a FAQ :)
3/19/2013 9:08 PM
Posted by backboy13 on 3/18/2013 1:47:00 PM (view original):
Posted by gillispie1 on 3/18/2013 12:34:00 PM (view original):
Yeah, I think FW improves BLK just as much as it does DEF (not literally just as much, but meaning that it focuses on both significantly)... Otherwise, where would improvement in BLK come from?
if you dont practice fw, def goes down, sb goes up, does it not? i think about a third of a blk improvement comes from fw, while the other 2/3rds comes from the void. but this may have changed in the last few years.
3/19/2013 9:09 PM
Posted by coach_billyg on 3/19/2013 9:08:00 PM (view original):
the quality of info in the FAQ is far below the quality of a consensus answer on the forums (its not even in the same ballpark). just a forewarning. there is some good info there, but not really the kind you would want if you were looking for a straight forward answer to a simple question, which is generally the intention of a FAQ :)
I know that, but I would hope that the FAQ about a specific function of an integral part of this game would be accurate. Oftentimes what we hope from WIS and what the reality is are very different, but if they were to have messed this up... That'd be bad.

On a side note, I forget the answer to this: Can you remove all practice minutes from FT if a player is maxed out without any decline?
3/19/2013 9:13 PM
Posted by backboy13 on 3/19/2013 9:13:00 PM (view original):
Posted by coach_billyg on 3/19/2013 9:08:00 PM (view original):
I know that, but I would hope that the FAQ about a specific function of an integral part of this game would be accurate. Oftentimes what we hope from WIS and what the reality is are very different, but if they were to have messed this up... That'd be bad.

On a side note, I forget the answer to this: Can you remove all practice minutes from FT if a player is maxed out without any decline?
well, you might have been able to say that about the FAQ when it was written, like, 10 years ago (or last updated, similar time frame). but so much has changed - the good info has largely become bad info, and the bad info, well...

FT, in my experience (i use 0 minutes like, every season, on at least 1 player per team, and often more - on FT i mean) works like any other attribute. anything with 0 minutes goes down, its just typically so little you can not detect it, and thus, dont care. i have had a low FT (not maxed) guy drop a partial grade once, and thats all ive seen, although admittedly, i often paid very little attention. lately though, last year or so, ive sort of "returned" to the game, and have had dozens of guys at 0 FT, and with my switch on all teams to FB, i REALLY care about FT, and i can say with 99% certainty, none of those players have ever shown a drop in FT with 0 minutes - and that is dropping to 0 before the capped message in 90% of cases. after the capped message, you are good as gold, IMO
3/19/2013 9:17 PM
Improving Athleticism Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.