What does it take to get fired in HD? Topic

My impression, while waiting for certain jobs to open up, is that its hard to get canned in HD, but I was wondering if anyone actually knows any specifics.  Is it a certain number of poor seasons, a certain drop in prestige, or lack of postseason? I am talking D1 by the way.  Thanks for any insight!  

4/5/2013 3:18 AM
Just FYI, you can't get fired in D2 or D3, only D1.
4/5/2013 4:17 AM
At BCS schools, the legend is if you miss 6 straight postseasons, you MIGHT get fired.  That means no NT or PI for 6 seasons.  A PI will save you for another 6 seasons.  
4/5/2013 10:19 AM
Posted by tkimble on 4/5/2013 10:19:00 AM (view original):
At BCS schools, the legend is if you miss 6 straight postseasons, you MIGHT get fired.  That means no NT or PI for 6 seasons.  A PI will save you for another 6 seasons.  
Dang, Tubby Smith would be set for life.
4/5/2013 10:33 AM
This is one issue that most definitely needs to be looked at. Coaches in marquee jobs should be fired more frequently than what they are. For example, UNC, Kentucky, UConn, etc. One PIT in 6 seasons should get you fired.

Have to balance making the game "realistic" and having these jobs open for coaches, while balancing the act of keeping your consumers happy.
4/5/2013 10:37 AM
Posted by salag on 4/5/2013 10:37:00 AM (view original):
This is one issue that most definitely needs to be looked at. Coaches in marquee jobs should be fired more frequently than what they are. For example, UNC, Kentucky, UConn, etc. One PIT in 6 seasons should get you fired.

Have to balance making the game "realistic" and having these jobs open for coaches, while balancing the act of keeping your consumers happy.
I agree  with this but, even if a team like this has a bad run and the coach gets fired in say 4-5 season instead of 8-10, it is highly likely that very few other coaches will qualify for the job.

With that being said, is it better to fire the coach and risk it going sim, or keep a poorly performing coach in that position, for a slightly longer period of time. I don't pretend to know the answer, just pose the question.
4/5/2013 10:43 AM
Basically you have to throw balls at players' heads, call them all types of names, and otherwise verbally and physically abuse them. Other than that you should be safe. 
4/5/2013 10:45 AM
Wow... didn't know a PI got you six seasons. That seems like a pretty low bar for most major conferences.  I think the quality candidate to backfill issue is balanced by the lowering of that teams prestige after so many bad seasons.  I agree this needs to change.  I think most coaches would understand that if you can't get to the big dance at a major school once every 4 years you should have to move on.  Maybe a PI appearance gets you an extra grace year.  Thoughts?
4/5/2013 10:57 AM
Ramp up firings dramatically. The current system is a joke.
4/5/2013 11:06 AM
I thought you had to be convicted of a felony to get fired on here....
4/5/2013 1:20 PM
If you want to get fired, you need to have a constant regression in wins over a five-year period.

15 - 14 - 10 - 9 - 8 = fired
15 - 9 - 14 - 8 - 10 = not fired

Even a worse overall record:

5 - 7 - 2 - 12 - 2 = not fired

I think the logic is more closely tied to the regression than post-season eligibility/success.
4/5/2013 3:29 PM
i spoke with tech support about this topic last yr.  in summary, current firing logic will remain in-place / as is since the only thing needed to avoid being fired is "...improve over the previous season (even slightly), which generally is enough to avoid firing" and "we don't want to discourage anyone from continuing to play the game"

here is the case details...

9/28/2012 6:31 AM     jaisonline   
Hi, I'm wondering how <coach name> hasn't been fired after nearly 20 seasons without a single NT or PIT win. ...never had more than 6 conf wins in a season. Only 3 PIT appearances (no wins), and only won had 2 winning seasons.

I was fired from Tark Villanova after season 34 when I went 7 seasons w/o a NT win although I had NT appearances and a nice # of PIT wins.

I understand the firing logic is different now but isn't nearly 20 seasons with that track record unacceptable enough to be fired?
Shouldn't someone else have a chance at coaching that school?

10/1/2012 8:35 AM     Customer Support   
Thanks for the feedback. Firing is always a difficult thing for us to balance because we want to open up those top jobs, but we don't want to discourage anyone from continuing to play the game. Losing a job at that level could lead to that, so we tend to give a pretty long leash. One thing that he has done in recent seasons is improve over the previous season (however slightly), which generally is enough to avoid firing.   

4/8/2013 11:32 AM
Rutgers just gave mike rice a lifetime contact in hd.
4/8/2013 12:01 PM
To get fired you have to murder someone connected to WIS and even that might just result in a slap on the hand.
4/8/2013 1:19 PM
Posted by emy1013 on 4/5/2013 4:17:00 AM (view original):
Just FYI, you can't get fired in D2 or D3, only D1.
Not true. There was a user several seasons ago who got made at one of his game results and started callike Tarek a ^&%^$ing Camel &*(&er among other slurs.   He was "fired" mid season.

The best part was his team either made it to the final 4 or championship game that year on auto pilot.
4/8/2013 2:52 PM
123 Next ▸
What does it take to get fired in HD? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.