meaning of this Topic

"Thanks for the call coach. I'm a little busy right now, but I am interested in (your school) and would like to talk to you again before I make my final decision."

Have y'all received this message from a recruit before? A little ahead? A little behind? Way behind?
4/11/2013 9:30 PM
you can only gauge being ahead or behind from scholarship messages. ignore all other messages, except for the following purpose: from a phone call (or coach call, well, technically letters too, but those are more expensive and their meaning, much less well known) - you can tell if you can
1) recruit a player right away
2) recruit a player after he drops down (or you can pull him down)
3) never recruit a player

the phone call response you have is indicative of scenario #1, and there is nothing else you should try to read from it.
4/11/2013 9:42 PM
Interesting gillispie. A lot of guys on here disagree that you can't read more from the phone call responses. Perhaps you are right and they are wrong. Perhaps this recruit should choose me now now and should ignore my conference rivals for good!
4/11/2013 9:46 PM
Posted by craigcoug on 4/11/2013 9:47:00 PM (view original):
Interesting gillispie. A lot of guys on here disagree that you can't read more from the phone call responses. Perhaps you are right and they are wrong. Perhaps this recruit should choose me now now and should ignore my conference rivals for good!
a lot of people disagree? that is news to me, i thought there was a wide consensus on scholarship messages being the only that matter.

also, just FYI, having read a bunch of your posts, i have a comment - you are reading too much into the subtleties of recruiting (i dont mean that in a bad way, you are just new and dont know better yet). stuff like home/away preference and you being in a d2 school 400 miles away vs some school 600 miles away, or you being in a better conference, or better prestige, those things are all basically negligible (at least for a new coach, and most of them, for any coach). you can basically get any player willing to talk to you right now (anyone in your division search, except for a glitch here and there) to consider you for 2 home visits or 1 campus visit. its fairly cut and dry and without much texture, how that stuff works. dropdowns and pulldowns are where you need to look for some color, where you strategize, so make sure you get comfortable with those things ASAP. where and how much to scout (with FSS) is also where some interesting stuff is. 

4/11/2013 9:56 PM
He is interested in u for sure. Phone call responses are really important for dropdowns and do mean a ton.
4/11/2013 10:21 PM
Posted by gillispie on 4/11/2013 9:56:00 PM (view original):
a lot of people disagree? that is news to me, i thought there was a wide consensus on scholarship messages being the only that matter.

also, just FYI, having read a bunch of your posts, i have a comment - you are reading too much into the subtleties of recruiting (i dont mean that in a bad way, you are just new and dont know better yet). stuff like home/away preference and you being in a d2 school 400 miles away vs some school 600 miles away, or you being in a better conference, or better prestige, those things are all basically negligible (at least for a new coach, and most of them, for any coach). you can basically get any player willing to talk to you right now (anyone in your division search, except for a glitch here and there) to consider you for 2 home visits or 1 campus visit. its fairly cut and dry and without much texture, how that stuff works. dropdowns and pulldowns are where you need to look for some color, where you strategize, so make sure you get comfortable with those things ASAP. where and how much to scout (with FSS) is also where some interesting stuff is. 

thanks for the feedback gillipsie. i was more concerned in this case because it's a recruiting battle between other conference teams that has gone too long for my comfort. the 1, 2, and 3 options you mentioned with this recruit happened a long time ago.
4/11/2013 10:55 PM
Posted by gillispie on 4/11/2013 9:56:00 PM (view original):

ah. your point is that the only messages that you can decipher meaning from are the ones with a subject regarding scholarship offers and not phone calls. gotcha. thanks.
4/11/2013 11:28 PM
Correct. Only scholarship messages matter and if you know the meaning of each message you will know exactly where you stand in a battle. All of the other messages are window dressing with the exception of initially letting you know if you can recruit the player.
4/11/2013 11:53 PM
meaning of this Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.