Get rid of Potential as it currently exists..... Topic

I'm sure this will start a whole other round of Fire and Brimstone in the forums. So what?

I propose getting rid of Potential and FSS.  Seems to me the amount of shady goings on exploded with the advent of player potential and FSS scouting service. Plus, as always, people want to cry and moan that FSS gives too much info, not enough info, costs too much at D3 and not enough at D1, etc .  On and on and on.

So, take Potential off the table, give us back our ability to develop our recruits as we see fit and then there's no need for FSS and no reason for people to FREEHD 1,3,5, 20 teams. Also no more sharing with friends, relatives, neighbors, etc. 

The old way was too predictable, too easy, too cut and paste. I get that, so what about Hidden potential?  Completely hidden potential. Maybe a combination of the old way of recruit development and hidden potential. We get to determine the course for our recruits and WIS puts hard limits in every recruit in such a way that they may be reached or may never be reached.

In any case, I think potential was a good idea, but I think it has led to many more problems than it was designed to solve in the first place. Under the old system, most of the cheating people cry about was fairly easy to spot because you had to do it as a name and out in the open with a team, rather than as multiple accounts hiding in the dark. 

I think there are many ways they could go in doing something like this, but I do feel strongly that the way recruiting and potential and FSS are currently set up, they are an invitation to anyone already inclined to game the system. I'm not sure you could ever completly eliminate people cheating, but you can certainly make it much harder to do without alienating 1 half of the HD community or another.

4/18/2013 6:01 PM
Wouldn't completely hidden potential just make the game completely random?  Thus taking little to no skill to have a successful team?  Seem like that would suck a lot of the fun out of HD.

I think Potential and FSS.  Everyone shoud just be allowed to have 1 team per world (10 teams total)....maybe even consider grandfathering in current multiple users (not my favorite option, but better than current system).

Maybe another idea......1-3 of the current worlds DON'T allow users that have multiple accounts, but the others worlds allow it??
4/18/2013 6:09 PM
i like potential, wasnt a fan when it first came out. but these days i do like it.

first fix needs to be recruit gen if anything.
4/18/2013 6:16 PM
Clarification. By completely hidden, I mean hidden from any sort of Mass Viewing. You want to find potential, you do scouting trips. or they add a new type of recruiting effort, something of this nature.

In general, my argument is that Potential was a good idea, but that in it's current form, it has created more issues than it was implemented to solve or correct.

4/18/2013 6:22 PM
game would suck without potential
4/18/2013 6:58 PM
yes, the game would suck without potential.  In fact, I think I'd give it up....its the best part of recruiting and buildnig a team. 
4/18/2013 7:16 PM
Posted by mamxet on 4/18/2013 6:58:00 PM (view original):
+1
4/18/2013 7:33 PM
FSS and potential are two things I really like about the game.
4/18/2013 7:40 PM
potential is one of the few things that evens the field in DI. a C+ school can take a 550 OVL player with high potential, redhisrt him and compete against an A school when he;'s a senior.

I'd be fine with only learning potential through scouting trips - if the scouting trips were modified slightly. 
4/18/2013 7:46 PM
Allowing only scouting trips would not work because the team could still use his alt team to scout
for him
4/18/2013 9:49 PM
I would quit if there was no potential.
4/18/2013 9:54 PM
Posted by fredpaull on 4/18/2013 7:16:00 PM (view original):
yes, the game would suck without potential.  In fact, I think I'd give it up....its the best part of recruiting and buildnig a team. 
***Rolls eyes***  I have heard it ALL now!

Since when has Fredpaull stayed long enough to "build up" a team?  Aren't you the guy that hops teams every two seasons or so, just about the time the previous coach's players graduate?  This is the same Fredpaull right?  Build up a team?  Please!
4/18/2013 10:47 PM
Posted by mamxet on 4/18/2013 6:58:00 PM (view original):
+1
4/18/2013 11:22 PM
Potential and FSS made the game much better -- more strategic, interesting, richer. It's not close.

Getting rid of it would be silly.

And please, let's stop laboring under the misconception that there's some kind of rampant FSS cheating that's ruining the game and has to be dealt with at all costs. It's simply not true. I'm not saying that it doesn't exist at all. But let's be honest and realistic about it -- it's certainly not worth trashing the game for.

4/19/2013 12:13 AM
recruiting needs an overhaul.... but i'm ok with potential and FSS.  

Recruiting needs to be done in a way where schools are forced to recruit more broadly.  There should be limits on coach visits, campus visits and such.  Schools would be forced to recruit more players, and interact against other teams.  There should be more of a focus on players wanting a team based on scenarios.... 

You can give a player 3 or 4 different criteria on what they are looking for in a school.  Some kids may look for a team with high prestige, some may look for instant playing time, some kids may want to play close to home, some kids may want to play far away from home, some kids may want to play for a coach with more success in the post season.  Some kids may have no preference at all. 

They could create 4 recruiting classes that we could scout and recruit (non-seniors would only have limited contact allowed) and potential is hidden until the senior year.  Players would develop each year so recruiting a kid early can pay dividends if you recruit a guy and he develops fast he will be more likely to sign with a school (or possibly even a coach) who recruited him early even if the coach moves to a different team (although the impact would be cut in half if a coach changes schools and continues to recruit the player).  Teams could be given an in-season recruiting budget with limited contact ability (ie 3 coach visits per day [only 3 allowed to the same player] and 10 phone calls and 10 letters allowed per day), and the bulk of recruiting would still be done during the off-season. 

During in-season recruiting chools being considered would be hidden, but a recruit considering your school would appear on the recruiting screen as considering us, considering us among others and considering other schools and would list how many schools the player was considering.  Once a player reaches senior off-season recruiting it would then change over to show which schools are being considered.  Carry over budget would be sent to in-season recruiting and anything left after that would be removed once the season was over.  

It would require a total overhaul of recruiting, but it would make the game more enjoyable during the season as you would have more to do than just minor tweaking of the game plan and reading a play by play.  
4/19/2013 12:32 AM
12 Next ▸
Get rid of Potential as it currently exists..... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.