Can Anyone Explain? Topic

Why the Heartland Conference in D2 Knight only has 6 teams in the NT, yet 2 of them are meeting in the 1st round in a 1 vs. 16 game?

I'm sure it's much too late to send in a ticket as I just noticed it, but that's some pretty amateur work right there.  Really, 6 teams and they just couldn't be spaced out any better than that?  Oh, on top of that, 3 of those 6 are in the same region.  So much for NT tourney money, huh?

Nice work WIS, you really dropped the ball on this one.
4/18/2013 10:40 PM
Second time I've had this happen with me. Thing is, I don't get why I wasn't just shunted over one region, which would have created no new conflicts I can see and removed this one.
4/18/2013 10:58 PM
I have one guess, but it's only a guess: they will only move the lower seeded team to avoid conflict, and they will only move a team down on the S-curve. The team was already in the lowest possible spot on the S-curve. Therefore the team did not get moved. 

This could be totally off-base, but it's the best I've got. 
4/18/2013 11:15 PM
I was the team. I was the 63d position, not the 64th.
4/18/2013 11:17 PM
I think what he was saying was being in the place you were, they'd have to move someone lower and in this case, they would have to move them out, as they had no where to go, with WIS only moving teams down to accomplish this, never up the line even a single spot.
4/18/2013 11:22 PM
Yep, by just switching 2 of the 16's, the whole mess would have been avoided.
4/18/2013 11:23 PM
Posted by kashmir75 on 4/18/2013 11:22:00 PM (view original):
I think what he was saying was being in the place you were, they'd have to move someone lower and in this case, they would have to move them out, as they had no where to go, with WIS only moving teams down to accomplish this, never up the line even a single spot.
I guess this could be a possibility, but it looks pretty bad when something like this happens.  Especially when, again, just swapping 2 of the 16's solves the problem.
4/18/2013 11:25 PM
Oh well, too late now anyway, but since this may be a recurring problem, maybe it needs looked into.  I mean, what are the odds that it happens to the same coach twice?  Ouch, talk about bad luck.
4/18/2013 11:26 PM
It was at FGC, ended up a sixteen seed against a number one seed Pitino. Actually, probably a very similar situation. Really,,it seems the rule should be against VERTICAL improvement in seeding, not horizontal. In other words, the teams could move around and be bumped up or down from one sixteen seed to another sixteen seed, but not up to a fifteen seed. It would seem under that scenario MANY problems could be avoided.

Not sure if that would be hard to code though ...
4/19/2013 1:07 AM
I've been bumped from a 13 to a 16 to avoid being in the same side of the bracket with a conference-mate, so I definitely know they adjust. Not sure why they didn't here if the last 16 seed wouldn't have caused any trouble
4/19/2013 8:08 AM
Was the last 16 seed in the same half bracket as a heartland school? That's the only explanation I can see... They will only move a team down, as they look at them, but other teams absolutely can (and must) move up as a side effect.
4/19/2013 10:52 AM
Or were you in the same half-bracket as the last 16 seed's conference-mate. 
4/19/2013 12:07 PM
It's a hose job, but I think these will happen in almost every situation. Extra bad luck that it happens to 1 person more than once. 

However, in light of the current tone of the forum, I would like to take the time out to say that WIS has made several adjustments to the seeding, RPI/SOS, and projection areas of the game and I think for the most part, they have done a pretty good job in this area. There's always room for improvement of course, but that's something that can be dealt with as needed.  I would say there are other areas of the game that need more urgent attention and I would prefer they focus on those.
4/19/2013 2:50 PM
Can Anyone Explain? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.