Missed PIT bid? Really? Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
It was actually 2 wins over top 100, don't sell yourself short.
5/14/2013 1:34 PM
Only my first season in HD, so grain of salt here; sorry if this is kind of a "Captain Obvious" thing. I noticed the amount of "Big 6" conference teams with losing records in the PIT, and wonder if it wouldn't be good for the health of DI to tweak the entry formula to require at least a .500 record to make the PIT? Seems like a natural step toward a more realistic (and more enjoyable) relationship between the power conferences and the mid-majors.
5/14/2013 2:40 PM
Posted by pkoopman on 5/14/2013 2:40:00 PM (view original):
Only my first season in HD, so grain of salt here; sorry if this is kind of a "Captain Obvious" thing. I noticed the amount of "Big 6" conference teams with losing records in the PIT, and wonder if it wouldn't be good for the health of DI to tweak the entry formula to require at least a .500 record to make the PIT? Seems like a natural step toward a more realistic (and more enjoyable) relationship between the power conferences and the mid-majors.
I am also fairly new so I may be missing something obvious, but I think this would be a great idea.  Get a little more cash in the hands of the mid-majors and take a little cash from the big schools.  It may not be enough to make any difference, but it's a start.
5/14/2013 2:54 PM
The real-life post-season NIT used to have a .500 record requirement (and not all that long ago), but that was done away with when the NCAA took over the tournament. Personally, I'd have no problem if they introduced this into HD. Or even a 2-games under .500 requirement. Something, though. It's silly to have 8-19 teams get rewarded with a post-season bid, even if they are one of the 96 best teams in the country.
5/14/2013 3:09 PM

Then you would penalize a team for having to strong of a schedule. I think maybe a formula tweak for the pi would be good.

5/14/2013 3:09 PM
Posted by phillyboy107 on 5/14/2013 3:09:00 PM (view original):

Then you would penalize a team for having to strong of a schedule. I think maybe a formula tweak for the pi would be good.

You should be rewarded for scheduling non-guaranteed-wins. Now it appears you're rewarded for scheduling guaranteed-losses-against-the-best-teams-possible.
5/14/2013 3:14 PM
Posted by stinenavy on 5/14/2013 1:34:00 PM (view original):
It was actually 2 wins over top 100, don't sell yourself short.
you're right...NOW I'M EVEN MORE ANNOYED!
5/14/2013 3:16 PM
I hate to fall victim to the Texas Sharpshooter Fallacy and pick out individual teams and use them as evidence that the system is messed up, but damn, 17 spots behind 10-17 Nebraska?
5/14/2013 3:19 PM
The system rewards teams for losing to good teams. 
5/14/2013 3:22 PM
The old system rewarded losing to good teams far more than this one does. This one doesn't care about good losses to a point, but if you have too many of those on your record you better have some good wins to go along with it. It's not a perfect system, but the current projection report is by far the best system this site has ever had.
5/14/2013 3:29 PM
Colonels- I have not seen anything that would lead me to believe that prestige is a factor in the Proj Report. What I have seen is that the amount it values good wins (top 50, top 100 to lesser extent) is huge. Any wins over teams not in the top 100 aren't worth anything. Also, in that same light, losing to top 50 teams doesn't hurt you that much, losing to top 100 is a little knock, but not that huge, and losses to teams over 100 RPI knocks you quite a bit. To me, this system really makes sense. If you can beat tournament level teams, you get in, if you're losing to non-tournament teams, you won't make it.

I'm on my phone, so I can't look, but if you'd like to examine those 3 teams, I propose we post their records vs. those 3 subsets of teams.
5/14/2013 5:06 PM
12345 Next ▸
Missed PIT bid? Really? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.