Should coach firings in D1 occur more frequently? Topic

Should coach firings in D1 occur more frequently?

Votes: 97
(Last vote received: 11/15/2014 8:01 AM)
5/24/2013 7:15 PM
The PIT-related poll I posted last weekend ended up surprisingly close, a virtual dead heat. I'm wondering if this one will turn out the same way.

To all the US-based coaches, have a very happy and safe Memorial Day weekend.
5/24/2013 7:17 PM
Should it for the good of the game? 100% yes, but this is a business, not just a game, and for that reason the people that run WIS would never risk firing long time customers.
5/24/2013 7:25 PM
The results of the poll will probably be an overwhelming yes.
5/24/2013 8:01 PM
Definitely yes but only for DI. Not fair to the people waiting for a shot at a big time job but there is a coach there that is under-achieving and not getting fired for it. Or even the coaches who are at a mid-level BCS schools that aren't doing good at all but they still never get fired. Just not fair in my opinion.
5/24/2013 8:26 PM (edited)
I'd suggest another poll:
Would you find another job if you were fired or quit the game?

5/24/2013 8:24 PM
Posted by rsvphr on 5/24/2013 8:24:00 PM (view original):
I'd suggest another poll:
Would you find another job if you were fired or quit the game?

Could be interesting, but I think it's hard to really know what you'd do when fired until you've actually been fired.

I imagine WIS has done some of its own research on retention of fired coaches. Based on the infrequent occurrence of firings, the retention rate must be quite low.
5/24/2013 8:44 PM
I doubt they have studied data.  There isnt much data to study.  There should be more firings.

The smart answer would be to give you a free season - not transferable to another world - to go with the firing.  That would encourage people to give it another.  Heck, I should have been fired at a couple of places.
5/24/2013 9:32 PM
I look at this game as a represenation of real life as best as they can do it logarithmically. I would not be the least bit reluctant to find another job if fired nor the least bit put out by it. I suspect I'm in the majority. You're losing a lot more coaches to job advancement frustration than offended underproducing coaches.
5/24/2013 10:27 PM
Posted by tkimble on 5/24/2013 7:25:00 PM (view original):
Should it for the good of the game? 100% yes, but this is a business, not just a game, and for that reason the people that run WIS would never risk firing long time customers.
If they do it right, I don't think they'd alienate too many customers. I think most paying customers would recognize it was well past time, and be OK with the fact if they were fired at an A+ baseline school if they didn't make the NT for 17 consecutive seasons. Not trying to be facetious, that's a real example where a coach was able to hang around that long just by making the PIT, and that illustrates how difficult it is to get fired.  Where they run a risk of alienating people is if they dramatically overcompensate and start firing people who didn't get a real opportunity to turn a program around, or if you start firing people at A+ programs for having 2 bad seasons, or something like that.  But if you can't make the NT even once in 10+ seasons at an A+ school, and you get fired, could anyone really complain?
5/24/2013 10:42 PM
Posted by rsvphr on 5/24/2013 10:27:00 PM (view original):
I look at this game as a represenation of real life as best as they can do it logarithmically. I would not be the least bit reluctant to find another job if fired nor the least bit put out by it. I suspect I'm in the majority. You're losing a lot more coaches to job advancement frustration than offended underproducing coaches.
+!
5/24/2013 10:49 PM
Ina strange sort of way, increased firings might actually draw more people to Division 1 because it increases the challenge there. You'd have even more reason to try to put together and maintain a top program. However, if firings increased, I think that it might be important to also reduce the number of EEs as those can devastate a program. Also, perhaps the expectations that the school has could be printed on the team page before you take the job.
5/24/2013 10:52 PM
Posted by metsmax on 5/24/2013 9:32:00 PM (view original):
I doubt they have studied data.  There isnt much data to study.  There should be more firings.

The smart answer would be to give you a free season - not transferable to another world - to go with the firing.  That would encourage people to give it another.  Heck, I should have been fired at a couple of places.
Agreed with all of this, metsmax.

And though I voted yes, I would amend to say "BCS firings". I see no need to fire low/mid DI coaches.

5/25/2013 1:00 AM
Posted by rsvphr on 5/24/2013 10:27:00 PM (view original):
+1
5/26/2013 12:45 PM
Haha 50-0. 
5/26/2013 2:29 PM
123 Next ▸
Should coach firings in D1 occur more frequently? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.