REAL basketball SKILL doesn't matter Topic

Posted by kcsundevil on 6/10/2013 8:59:00 PM (view original):
Posted by jimmymetzger on 6/10/2013 6:10:00 PM (view original):
why is it that there is nothing that forces you to prove how much you know basketball in order to be a good player at this game.  you should get bonus points for being good at hoops and then you can get a boost in your players becuase you are good.  maybe better recruits.  or maybe better team results.  or both.

there shoudl be some kind of test you need to take that ranks you as a basketball knowlege.  and then you get upgraded or downgraded based on how you score.  what would be really cool is if you could post a mixtape of you playeing and then others could say how good you are and you get bonus points for that.
"there shoudl be some kind of test you need to take that ranks you as a basketball knowlege."
The above is my unedited post from page 1. The only words in it are Jimmy's words. So I actually found the site mail pretty amusing.
6/12/2013 12:59 AM
Hmm dad's name is Lenny. Sounds pretty similar to Lennay
6/12/2013 1:10 AM
Okay the sitemail is in fact the same mass message sent to everyone, which was quite amusing.

6/12/2013 8:18 AM
so one could think of the sitemail message as spam - sent to every poster no matter what they said? 

sounds like terrific educational approach by Dad.

Please note - this posting says nothing negative about any youngster or anything that youngster may or may not have posted.  This observation is limited to a discussion of messages that appear to have been sent by someone holding himself out as an adult.  In the event that the supposed Dad is not an adult, I regret any expression that could be construed as criticism of a kid.
6/12/2013 8:25 AM
Posted by colonels19 on 6/11/2013 8:29:00 PM (view original):
I'll admit, I probably deserved the sitemail...I did suggest he was dumb as a stump...but then again if I knew/thought the kid was 10 years old or whatever, I probably wouldn't have said anything in this thread at all.  It's kind of just the general risk you run posting on a message board...you want to ask for help, fine, there are a ton of guys (me included) willing to give newbies/seekers of assistance, pointers, tips, etc....you want to make your first post a ridiculous, borderline game-degrading post to a lot of people that think this is the best game on the planet, well...sometimes thems the breaks.  Friend or enemy is the initial poster's choice.
Maybe that's why you shouldn't be so quick to call names on the internet?
6/12/2013 8:37 AM
Three things, assuming that really was his dad;
1. You let your kid put his real name as a user ID on a gaming website. Why not drop him off at the mall with the name on the back of his shirt too.
2. We were pretty quick with the controls on what our kids should and shouldn't do on the Internet, and posting boards was one of the subjects. At age 9, they would have known starting a thread critizing the very game people are playing may draw a negative response.
3. Did dad actually read the thread, or did he fire off a sitemail to all? Because I'm pretty sure responding to Weena did not make Jimmy cry.
6/12/2013 9:10 AM
To me the language sounds like a 12 year old pretending to be an adult (and I've been there).  If this was all written by a grown-@ss man then I'm Mickey Mouse.  Jimmy, consider this feedback for the next time you try to troll someone.

"you used words in the internet"

"I think it is unlikely that an internet troll like you is likely to change"  I'm so confused, is it likely or unlikely??

"you have upset my son to the point that he is unlikely to ever visit this website again."  If this was genuine, I would expect something more serious in the 2nd half of that sentence.  e.g. "he's crying himself to sleep", which is probably true.

" respectfully request you reconsider your use of language in future internet postings."  My favorite.  Ok Len, how would you prefer I communicate in the future if not with language?
6/12/2013 9:28 AM
bat signals?
6/12/2013 9:43 AM
I guess you could send bat signals if you want to "killbatman". It would create quite a trap.

Star Wars moment: "It's a trap!"

6/12/2013 1:51 PM
From now on all my "internet postings" will use the medium of interpretive dance.
6/12/2013 2:05 PM
Could be a dad.  Everyone is so convinced now that they have to teach their children that they are good at everything that now they have to protect their children from criticism.  It's a load of crap, everyone isn't good at everything.  I could practice and train 16 hours a day and not only would I never be an NBA player, I'd probably struggle in D3 college ball.  I'm 5'10" and not built for basketball, baseball I can do but not basketball.  Frankly, that kid better be as good at ball as he thinks he is, because otherwise he's looking at a long career working at the local convenience store.  No need to convince him he'll be starting his own big internet conglomerate because of his brilliance understanding and designing online games, eh?
6/12/2013 2:10 PM
6/12/2013 2:15 PM
Many parents defend their children at all costs now, no matter how wrong the kids actions, behaviors, or words are. It's a shame.
6/12/2013 2:40 PM
Better and better lol...keep it up
6/12/2013 2:57 PM
If a bunch of grown men were picking on my kid I would be ****** too.   I don't care if the kid deserves it, he doesn't need to be piled on.   I would "stand up" for if he was right or wrong.   I wouldn't let my kid think he was without blame but I would certainly make sure I was in his corner no matter what.

Could it have been handled differently, sure.  

Should have we made fun of the kid? Probably not.   If I had know it was a 14 year old, I would have just ignored it.

"He said something dumb so I called him on it" is a pretty bad justification for acting like a jerk.

6/12/2013 3:08 PM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7|8 Next ▸
REAL basketball SKILL doesn't matter Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.