now and then one sees postings in the coaches corner where someone will - right before recruiting - post something like "i'm going all in on that PF who lives right near campus" - allowed or now allowed?  A statement of recruiting plans runs into many of the same issues discussed above.
8/25/2013 5:43 PM
having made statements like that (well, more like, "i love 2 man classes, im happy to take 2 walkons, so i can just go all in for the first cycle and be done early"), i think its probably not ok. one standard often thrown out is you cant give any information than can affect anyone else - this kind of stuff can, but then again, almost any comment about recruiting does. its just so hard not to say ANYTHING during the most exciting time. this, to me, is one of the hardest issues to deal with. can you really forbid people saying, man, im so excited for this session, with last seasons carryover, this is the most money ive had! or whew, got my guys, just waiting for signings (which usually means they are going to poach the **** out of someone in the last cycle ;). i guess you can, but it sure is a shame to stop ALL communication if you can avoid it. i, as many may guess, find it very hard to shut up and say nothing. so i probably do a lot worse in this area than id like to. i always re-read my statements to see if it can hurt someone else, but i feel like even then some of the comments give me an advantage, however slight, in the posturing sort of way. tons of people comment about being excited when they rollover a whole season (with 0 ships) and then get bonus money, or something like that. im definitely not thrilled with all the comments i made during recruiting, often wishing i could take them back (letting people take them back would probably be a good idea). but where i often draw the line myself is with respect to generality - if my comment is general enough, id often make it. if i felt it gave too specific of clues, i usually wouldnt do it. i do regret the time i commented about loving 2 man classes because i could go all in, but i didnt say who, so it wasnt THAT bad, i guess. but i still wish i never made it. really, i probably end up regretting about 90% of the comments i made during recruiting... which is why for so long, ive tried (and failed) to just say nothing at all.

of all the issues ive thought through how i would do, if i built my own sim engine, this is, by far, the single hardest for me to reconcile. its just so hard to have shades of grey in stuff like this, but the cost of a black and white solution is also so high... stopping all communication during recruiting just sucks so bad for lots of people who spend 80% of their time during recruiting, who get 80% of their excitement and would naturally make most of their posts during recruiting. but letting people say a whole bunch of **** can really hurt the experience for others. i just dont know theres a good answer out there.
8/25/2013 5:57 PM (edited)
By dull I meant as far as the CC, nobody says a word.

It's very simple, as long as what you're saying doesn't give away real information or isn't colluding nobody should have a problem with it. Once you step over that line, then you've gone too far. There is an enormous difference from saying "why are you battling me, there's no way you can win this," and saying "instead of battling me for X you can't win, you should focus on Y recruit." Also saying something like "from my calculations you have roughly 15k left, I have 30k, and I'm willing to put everything into X recruit," would clearly be over the line. This falls under the real information that I was talking about, the first thing is straight up collusion. Obviously there are gray areas, but that's with a lot of things.

This game is played by humans, humans communicate, advocating for the removal of that aspect during recruiting is absurd, especially when it's not against the rules. Comments do have an impact on recruiting and that's the point. Every game you play in life there are people talking smack and those that don't, so why should this be any different? I always talk during recruiting, sometimes I flat out lie about my intent (I remember one time saying I wasn't going to put any $ into recruits during the last cycle just so I can protect my guys, when I had already dumped like 50k into a recruit, lol), some times I'll even throw things out during the season about a recruit. Gamesmenship adds some fun to the game, all that respectful and playing nice stuff is fine and well but conflict is awesome. Just look whenever there is a tiff on a CC you'll see guys from other conferences randomly chime in and you'll have guys commenting on their CCs telling the other coaches to check out the CC where there is conflict. 
8/25/2013 5:59 PM
After a player lists both teams as schools he's interested in I don't see the problem unless there is collusion going on.  If I was the coach with the C prest I would then find out about the number of open schollies, depth at that position and decide if I could win a battle against a higher prest school.  While it was a douchy way to do it, it still might have actually helped wake up the C prest coach to realize he needed to  pass before wasting more recruiting dollars.  
8/25/2013 7:32 PM
I also tend to say that its not 'bad' if you aren't giving them any information they couldn't look up themselves. If you said "man, I'm excited I have all of this conference money to spend!" Its something someone could easily find out for themselves in five or ten minutes by just looking at what nt games the conference mates had. I tend to only get specific after I've signed a player, and only really get specific if I've filled all of my slots already and can no longer have an influence on other people's recruiting.
8/25/2013 8:45 PM
Posted by kmasonbx1 on 8/25/2013 12:03:00 PM (view original):
I think for the most part people are giant pussholes when it comes to talking during recruiting. If a guy says what this guy said, it's up to you to figure it if he's telling the truth or not. I like posturing during recruiting, I even start posturing before recruiting begins a lot of times. A lot of guys that play this game tend to have sand in their vaginas during recruiting, and it's annoying. 
What he said.
8/25/2013 10:00 PM
And I agree with how kmason expounded on it above, and what others have said earlier ... I'd like it if there was more of this. Not necessarily the douchey part, but just a little bit of mind games, a little trash talk, a little bluffing. Would make things more interesting and fun.
8/25/2013 10:03 PM
Posted by fd343ny on 8/25/2013 5:43:00 PM (view original):
now and then one sees postings in the coaches corner where someone will - right before recruiting - post something like "i'm going all in on that PF who lives right near campus" - allowed or now allowed?  A statement of recruiting plans runs into many of the same issues discussed above.
And yet, despite my comments above, that strikes me as not being OK.

gillispie is right -- tough to find your way around the gray area here ...

8/25/2013 10:04 PM
All I know is that this kind of table talk wouldn't fly in a game of euchre...
8/25/2013 11:30 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by girt25 on 8/25/2013 10:04:00 PM (view original):

Why?

I don't see anything wrong with someone giving away information on their own team. What's the problem if I post, "I have $78,354 in recruiting money" on my coaches corner?

Yes, it's information others didn't have before. But I'm only posting about myself and posting it publicly. I understand that the purpose of doing it is to scare people into avoiding battles, but either one of two things is going to happen: (1) I'm saving someone else a bunch of money; or (2) someone else knows they can beat me. Or maybe I'm not telling the truth. But I still don't understand the problem.
8/25/2013 11:55 PM
ya I agree with ike...its basically all posturing one way or the other when it comes down to it.  Either you believe the guy or not, but at the end, you make your own choice...
8/26/2013 2:27 AM
Posted by tkimble on 8/24/2013 1:18:00 PM (view original):
I actually think you're wrong. To me, that's just a recruiting ploy. There's no cheating going on and any coach worth his salt won't be swayed by another coach's message on the CC. In fact, the guy in your conf should be encouraged. I wish there was more conversation and posturing during recruiting, it would add another fun layer to recruiting.
I agree with all of this.
8/26/2013 7:46 AM
Posted by colonels19 on 8/25/2013 12:22:00 PM (view original):
Moreover, the guy talking **** has an A- prestige and the guy in my conf has a C-...insecure much?  You want to talk about a *****, a guy 2 full letter grades above a first year coach at a school, trying to get him to stop recruiting "his guy"...
Why do you take these things so personally?  Taking a pretty big leap from a post in a CC to mean the coach is "insecure".  Now that I think about it, you do an awful lot of peacocking...insecure much, colonels?
8/26/2013 7:50 AM
Posted by girt25 on 8/25/2013 10:04:00 PM (view original):

I remain torn on all these.

In this example, one of the issues is that it is an invitation to further comments - like - "yup, and I'm going all in on that kid just down the road from us...." which begins to seem like recruit allocation.
8/26/2013 8:42 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...9 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.