This jobs logic is just complete bullsh Topic

Is 255 wins not considered very many? Also, I play usually all my non-con games on the road, and I never schedule a sim home game. It's not quite as easy to beat a sim with the road disadvantage. I actually have scheduled less human teams in the non-con of late, based upon a thread I saw in this forum (can't find it right now) that mentioned it's better to schedule all away games against sims than to schedule home games against humans. No one seemed to have a big problem with that line of thinking in that thread, if I remember correctly.
9/2/2013 10:25 AM
Posted by abitaamber on 9/2/2013 10:23:00 AM (view original):
I don't think you are BCS-worthy, but it is ridiculous that you aren't qualified for a C job.

As for comparing yourself to GM...uh, no. Gregg made SEVEN NTs in 9 years.  Plus, he won a NT game.  Gregg didn't usually falter in the Big South CT. That's the dif...if those PITs were NTs, you'd have a much different argument.

Also...GM is my cousin.

Thanks for the feedback--and for not being douchey about it. I should have looked up his resume before using him. I could've sworn he had only made a couple of tourneys and won that one game before getting WSU. Learn something new every day! :)

Also... VERY cool about being related to GM. Unfortunately none of my relatives are (or have been) uber-successful D-1 coaches. My one "claim to (being near) fame" is that I played football against Gary Patterson's nephews. I know, not that cool...
9/2/2013 10:28 AM
Posted by wildcat98 on 9/2/2013 9:38:00 AM (view original):
In real life, Gregg Marshall made the almost exact same jump as I'm applying for now (and probably won't get, based on the "keep looking"), and has been super successful.
Nope. Marshall had three straight NT appearances and was coming off a first-round win. 
9/2/2013 10:38 AM
You guys know how I push for more leniency as far as D1 jobs go (at least as far as getting to D1 from D2, and lower level jobs), but I don't think wildcat98 has a good enough resume at Campbell to go to a Big East or a Big Ten school.  The human v. sim argument is always an intriguing one.  I think a lot of seasoned D1 guys are too headstrong (yes I said it lol...irony) about what it takes to get to or move up in D1, because they "earned their way", and the worthiness of potential coaches that want to move up.

D1 is overrated, IMO...it's just not as fun.

9/2/2013 10:49 AM
Don't listen to Dahs, wildcat.  The jobs process does not, and isn't intended to, mirror reality (otherwise we'd all have to spend 5-7 seasons as a D1 assistant coach).  It also doesn't matter whether your wins are against humans or sims.

The thing that does matter is post season berths and wins.  The big problem for low D1 teams is making your schedule difficult enough to make an at-large bid possible, without risking losing too many games before the conference schedule even starts.  You simply cannot schedule bad teams, even bad Big 6 teams hurt.  You also cannot schedule many great teams or you'll just help them by losing.

One big problem with taking a low D1 rebuild is that the jobs process looks at a 10 year history and penalizes those that have a few bad seasons at the beginning.  Even when your loyalty is back at A+, you have to consistently make the NT to be able to get out of that job.  If you don't, then you're lucky to be able to move up to a higher baseline non-big 6 school.  

I'm not sure why you wouldn't get accepted at a "keep looking" job.  I think that indicates a lateral move that will hurt your loyalty rating.  If the school has better players, higher baseline prestige or is better situated to succeed, then it may be worth moving anyhow.

9/2/2013 10:53 AM
Posted by colonels19 on 9/2/2013 10:49:00 AM (view original):
You guys know how I push for more leniency as far as D1 jobs go (at least as far as getting to D1 from D2, and lower level jobs), but I don't think wildcat98 has a good enough resume at Campbell to go to a Big East or a Big Ten school.  The human v. sim argument is always an intriguing one.  I think a lot of seasoned D1 guys are too headstrong (yes I said it lol...irony) about what it takes to get to or move up in D1, because they "earned their way", and the worthiness of potential coaches that want to move up.

D1 is overrated, IMO...it's just not as fun.

Keeping it sim is what angers me. To me, that just doesn't make sense. In real life, that seems like that would be the equivalent of giving it to some dude in the phys ed department of the college or something. And it's not like I've just puttered along at Campbell, compiling 10-6/11-5 conference records, and 100+ RPIs. Until this season, I'd basically improved my RPI every season, peaking in the mid-to-low 40s. And even in this last season, when I lost a couple of games I should have won, the RPI was STILL in the 70s. And Campbell was just complete s--t when I got there. A total dumpster fire.

As for D1 being not as fun, I don't know about that. I like the challenge of it--or at least I did until it started feeling like I was "frozen" in this Campbell job.
9/2/2013 10:57 AM
Posted by rogelio on 9/2/2013 10:53:00 AM (view original):
Don't listen to Dahs, wildcat.  The jobs process does not, and isn't intended to, mirror reality (otherwise we'd all have to spend 5-7 seasons as a D1 assistant coach).  It also doesn't matter whether your wins are against humans or sims.

The thing that does matter is post season berths and wins.  The big problem for low D1 teams is making your schedule difficult enough to make an at-large bid possible, without risking losing too many games before the conference schedule even starts.  You simply cannot schedule bad teams, even bad Big 6 teams hurt.  You also cannot schedule many great teams or you'll just help them by losing.

One big problem with taking a low D1 rebuild is that the jobs process looks at a 10 year history and penalizes those that have a few bad seasons at the beginning.  Even when your loyalty is back at A+, you have to consistently make the NT to be able to get out of that job.  If you don't, then you're lucky to be able to move up to a higher baseline non-big 6 school.  

I'm not sure why you wouldn't get accepted at a "keep looking" job.  I think that indicates a lateral move that will hurt your loyalty rating.  If the school has better players, higher baseline prestige or is better situated to succeed, then it may be worth moving anyhow.

Thanks, Rogelio. Very informative post. As for "keep looking", both Northwestern and Villanova said that when I applied, but no dice. Even WSU, which is a C prestige right now (I'm at C+ with Campbell) says "keep looking." I put in for it anyway, just to see whether the job process is f---ed up enough to actually keep WSU sim when a coach with a HIGHER prestige applies for it. We'll see what happens, I guess.
9/2/2013 11:00 AM
That is a problem with/at D1, being "damned to your plot"...you can't even move laterally.
9/2/2013 11:01 AM
Posted by colonels19 on 9/2/2013 11:01:00 AM (view original):
That is a problem with/at D1, being "damned to your plot"...you can't even move laterally.
Very true. There is, literally, not even one job that I show up as "qualified" for. Everything is either "Keep Looking", "Not Qualified", or "Step Backward." I think there's more at issue here than just my "******" resume.
9/2/2013 11:06 AM
And Wichita State makes it official. A C+ prestige, with the massive rebuild I've accomplished at Campbell, just isn't enough to even land a non-Big 6, lower prestige (C+ to C) job. Yeah, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the job logic. Nothing at all.
9/2/2013 11:09 AM
Posted by wildcat98 on 9/2/2013 11:06:00 AM (view original):
Posted by colonels19 on 9/2/2013 11:01:00 AM (view original):
Very true. There is, literally, not even one job that I show up as "qualified" for. Everything is either "Keep Looking", "Not Qualified", or "Step Backward." I think there's more at issue here than just my "******" resume.
Wow, that's just crazy.  I was at Coppin State in Knight a few seasons ago for 1 season and took a look at the "jobs" tab in the offseason...keep looking and not qualified for all D1s, but over-qualified for all D2s and the message in the comment box would say something like, "why would you want to coach in D2 when you should be coaching D1"...there's definitely a disconnect when it comes to D1.  I don't really ever want to be back there either, so it's not a big deal to/for me anymore...but it is this process that helped turn me off to D1 in the 3rd place.
9/2/2013 11:17 AM
wildcat: I agree with something akin to "getting desperate when no one is taking the job," such that the requirements are relaxed a bit if no one has gotten it and it's about to go Sim. 

But if you do that, you absolutely have to massively increase firing. Can't do one without the other, or you'll fill up all the Big Six jobs with people who won't be able to hack it in the Big Six. 
9/2/2013 11:18 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by tarvolon on 9/2/2013 11:18:00 AM (view original):
wildcat: I agree with something akin to "getting desperate when no one is taking the job," such that the requirements are relaxed a bit if no one has gotten it and it's about to go Sim. 

But if you do that, you absolutely have to massively increase firing. Can't do one without the other, or you'll fill up all the Big Six jobs with people who won't be able to hack it in the Big Six. 
I think that would be great. And the problem at 'Nova and Northwestern was that they've been sims for SEVERAL years now. But yeah, I'd have no problem with upping the firing logic significantly. I see a LOT of mediocre job performances in the Big 6 that seem to keep the position in perpetuity.
9/2/2013 11:41 AM
I've basically decided to take a "step backwards" to a job that has a lower current prestige (C- to my C+), but according to a thread I found (www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx) has a LOT higher BASELINE prestige than I started with at Campbell. We'll see what happens there, I guess.
9/2/2013 11:47 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...7 Next ▸
This jobs logic is just complete bullsh Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.