Would Anyone Object to Extended First Cycle? Topic

Inevitably in recruiting threads someone makes the point that it would be great if we had 3, 6, or even 12 hours to "pre-recruit" the first cycle. 

It makes great sense to me and I think it should be implemented immediately.  Am I missing something?  Does anyone oppose?

If not, is there a reason that WiS can't immediately make it so?

Please don't focus on your favorite tweak. Just let WiS know whether you want this fixed or if you think it is fine as is.
11/2/2013 12:35 AM (edited)
Because HD isn't their priority.

The easiest solution IMO would be to end new coach sign-ups at 4 PM and start recruiting at 5 PM. So you have the same 3 hour cycle as all the rest.

11/1/2013 6:01 PM
Shockingly enough, I agree with stinenavy...coach sign-ups already do end at 4PM ET btw.
11/1/2013 8:47 PM
Ah, okay. Well just have the SIMS take dibs on everyone at 4, then open up recruiting to everyone at 5.
11/1/2013 10:00 PM
There's no reason queuing of recruiting actions can't start before the jobs period ends.  If you jump out before sim actions it hurts you a bit (IE you may waste money), but it's likely going to be better than not hitting the first cycle at all, at least in D1.  And if you happen to get a new job, it just cancels the queued actions from your old team.  Don't see a big issue there...
11/2/2013 12:01 AM
Bump.  As suspected, no one objected.  Can WiS put this on the to-do list?
11/5/2013 2:54 PM
Posted by lakevin on 11/5/2013 2:54:00 PM (view original):
WiS has a to-do list?
11/5/2013 3:21 PM
I like the idea of dropping the last day of recruiting in exchange for a longer 1st cycle...or extending the 1st cycle over the first 24 hours of recruiting.

People would have less time to get attached to "poached" recruits if signings started 24 hours after first cycle actions are processed.
11/5/2013 3:24 PM
It makes no sense that the 1st cycle is the shortest cycle, when in D1 if it isn't the most important cycle it's the most important behind the signings cycle. At D2 and D3 it's not quite as important because lots of times coaches are waiting for drop downs. If anything it should be an hour longer and an hour shorter.
11/5/2013 3:34 PM
Nobody of the 3 people that responded. Not saying I object but a little premature there.
11/6/2013 2:24 AM
The greatest outrage is that, of all the things people suggest around here, this one is the easiest change to implement, and there is absolutely no reason not to implement it.  
11/6/2013 3:05 AM
Do you really knwo this?  Are you a programmers at WIS?   No defending them, just saying I don' know what kind of expertise you have to make such a claim.
11/6/2013 8:57 AM
Posted by blackdog3377 on 11/6/2013 2:24:00 AM (view original):
Nobody of the 3 people that responded. Not saying I object but a little premature there.
Haha, this reminds me of kindergarten when a kid says something and immediately follows up with "no one said no, so we are doing it."
11/6/2013 9:58 AM
Posted by tianyi7886 on 11/6/2013 9:58:00 AM (view original):
Posted by blackdog3377 on 11/6/2013 2:24:00 AM (view original):
Haha, this reminds me of kindergarten when a kid says something and immediately follows up with "no one said no, so we are doing it."
I dunno...fast forward until those kindergarteners have been elected to office and this becomes "unanimous consent" by parliamentary rule.  
11/6/2013 10:30 AM
There are 3 ways to address this, I would support any of them:
  1. Overlay a function that will allow a coach to assign 1st cycle recruiting actions that becomes available after the draft, but still run at 8pm;
  2. The cut-off for new coaches to join is now 1.5 days (2 am on the 1st day thru 4 pm the next).  That could be extended into the morning on a third day.  The first cycle would still be run at 8pm EST, but it would start at, say, noon, rather than 6 pm; or
  3. Leave it exactly as it is, but disallow Home Visits & Campus Visits during the first cycle.
I think option 1 would take a little programming time & debugging --- so that's probably out.  Option 3, while I think it is a great idea to make recruiting more realistic (who the hell show's up on a recruit's doorstep while making the first phone call while driving through the neighborhood?...creepy...) and it would promote more D1 battles, but I expect it would be as popular as herpes & head lice.

That leaves option 2.  Extending the signup time might result in...wait for it...more coaches signing up for a world.  The job application process could be shortened by a day to make the offseason take no additional time (it would probably help to have the 1st job applications accepted at around 6-8 pm EST to give other coaches ample time to fill any new openings).

11/6/2013 11:03 AM
12 Next ▸
Would Anyone Object to Extended First Cycle? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.