I realize that by making this post, I am virtually guaranteeing that I don't get it done, but here goes:

My Martin Luther squad is a #1 seed in the Naismith D3 NT which just started last night. We are the two time defending national champions. Has anyone ever completed a three peat, or do I have a chance to be the first? I looked through the history books of the two worlds I'm in, Naismith and Smith, and nobody has done it at any level in those worlds. What about the other worlds?

Thanks in advance for any replies... you can all come back and laugh at me after we get upset in the second round tonight.
11/4/2013 12:02 PM
It's been done previously -- narcotico in Tark pulled it off twice at Greensboro and bunkerbuster did it in his streak of 5 national titles in 6 seasons at Texas, Dallas in Iba. Probably others, but those are two occasions I know off the top of my head. It's a fairly rare field of names though, so I wish you luck in pulling it off!
11/4/2013 12:15 PM
Thanks rednu. Five in six seasons, that is really impressive.
11/4/2013 12:25 PM
rails once won, I believe, 8 out of 9...possibly 9 out of 10, at DIII.

Incidently, if we both win tonight, we'll meet in the Sweet 16 tomorrow night
11/4/2013 12:52 PM
theres a thread "best run ever" on the first or second page of the forums, in which a number of great runs are described. im not sure how many people have done 3 in a row but i think its at least 6, but probably less than 10. but its still one of the hardest and most impressive things anyone has ever pulled off, so you should be very proud if you manage it! its quite the feat.
11/4/2013 4:23 PM (edited)
Posted by gillispie1 on 11/4/2013 4:23:00 PM (view original):
theres a thread "best run ever" on the first or second page of the forums, in which a number of great runs are described. im not sure how many people have done 3 in a row but i think its at least 6, but probably less than 10. but its still one of the hardest and most impressive things anyone has ever pulled off, so you should be very proud if you manage it! its quite the feat.
A little context is in order. "Hardest and most difficult" within the world of Hoop's Dynasty. And, in Division III (where a majority of players cannot play). Still, a 3peat would really cool to see and a nice accomplishment. Good luck! (I cannot minimize the accomplishment too much given that I have zero rings and spend a lot of time on this hobby :)
11/4/2013 5:01 PM (edited)
Thanks, I hadn't seen that thread. Some mighty impressive runs on there. I'm proud of my run over the last decade at MLC, but we've got a ways to go to match some of those streaks.
11/4/2013 6:14 PM
Posted by MyGeneration on 11/4/2013 5:01:00 PM (view original):
A little context is in order. "Hardest and most difficult" within the world of Hoop's Dynasty. And, in Division III (where a majority of players cannot play). Still, a 3peat would really cool to see and a nice accomplishment. Good luck! (I cannot minimize the accomplishment too much given that I have zero rings and spend a lot of time on this hobby :)
obviously within HD, that goes without saying. nobody is saying he will have cured cancer or invented the internet. i have to imagine that context was obviously implied to everybody in the world but you...

while a 3peat in d3 is certainly easier than one in d1, its still very difficult. theres only a few times its ever happened in d3, while there are a good 60,000 to 100,000 or so d3 player-seasons (and therefore, shots at d3 championships). thats pretty impressive. this seems like a pretty retarded post coming from a guy who hasn't even won one... if you did, that would be one in 600ish d3 titles. he would have an accomplishment of just one in a few - making his accomplishment at least 100 times harder. granted, you'd both have to win a title next season, but he carries the odds on that one, too.
11/4/2013 8:06 PM (edited)
Posted by gillispie1 on 11/4/2013 8:06:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MyGeneration on 11/4/2013 5:01:00 PM (view original):
obviously within HD, that goes without saying. nobody is saying he will have cured cancer or invented the internet. i have to imagine that context was obviously implied to everybody in the world but you...

while a 3peat in d3 is certainly easier than one in d1, its still very difficult. theres only a few times its ever happened in d3, while there are a good 60,000 to 100,000 or so d3 player-seasons (and therefore, shots at d3 championships). thats pretty impressive. this seems like a pretty retarded post coming from a guy who hasn't even won one... if you did, that would be one in 600ish d3 titles. he would have an accomplishment of just one in a few - making his accomplishment at least 100 times harder. granted, you'd both have to win a title next season, but he carries the odds on that one, too.
This +1000

Context was definitely implied 

11/4/2013 8:06 PM
Chad Brown, whoa. Best D3 player ever?
11/4/2013 8:52 PM
You've built a hell of a program, mrg. I feel unreasonably proud that my first career NT win came against your team. Good luck pulling off the three-peat. 
11/4/2013 9:35 PM
Posted by backboy13 on 11/4/2013 8:52:00 PM (view original):
http://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=0&pid=2405463

Brown was the perfect combination of lots of high highs and the WE to actually get there. Was more than a little lucky to see him pop up under 100 miles from campus. He's the best I've seen over the past 20 seasons of Naismith, but that is a small sample in the grand scheme of HD, so I'm guessing there's been someone as good (and probably better) at some point.
11/4/2013 10:47 PM
Posted by tarvolon on 11/4/2013 9:35:00 PM (view original):
You've built a hell of a program, mrg. I feel unreasonably proud that my first career NT win came against your team. Good luck pulling off the three-peat. 
Haha, i remember that... 1 vs 16 upset. Your team was better than a 16 seed, but still shows how much of a crap shoot the tourney can be. My run last year definitely took some luck.
11/4/2013 10:57 PM
Posted by mrg1037 on 11/4/2013 10:47:00 PM (view original):
Posted by backboy13 on 11/4/2013 8:52:00 PM (view original):
http://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=0&pid=2405463

Brown was the perfect combination of lots of high highs and the WE to actually get there. Was more than a little lucky to see him pop up under 100 miles from campus. He's the best I've seen over the past 20 seasons of Naismith, but that is a small sample in the grand scheme of HD, so I'm guessing there's been someone as good (and probably better) at some point.
I only have about 50 D3 seasons under my belt, but he's the best I've seen, not really anyone close. 

I think he could start for a BCS conference NT bubble team.  Since I've never coached a team I thought could contend for the NT this is a guess, but I bet he'd be a solid 3rd guard for a D1 title team.  I also think that if he were placed in the right D1 situation (successful high mid-major that gave him a lot of distro) he could get drafted.
11/5/2013 10:23 AM
hes insane for d3. 3rd guard for d1 title team, thats a bit of a stretch ;) but i do agree he could be a decent player on a NT bubble d1 team. hes a little weak defensively and his low ath/spd caps his offensive usefulness, in mid BCS (NT bubble) play, so i think hes just a little below average for a BCS bubble team starter. he could definitely do great things for NT bound mid majors though. id love to have a guy like that in d2, its just nasty when these kind of guys pop up in d3!
11/5/2013 2:28 PM
123 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.