Posted by mrg1037 on 11/4/2013 10:47:00 PM (view original):
Posted by backboy13 on 11/4/2013 8:52:00 PM (view original):
Chad Brown, whoa. Best D3 player ever?
http://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=0&pid=2405463

Brown was the perfect combination of lots of high highs and the WE to actually get there. Was more than a little lucky to see him pop up under 100 miles from campus. He's the best I've seen over the past 20 seasons of Naismith, but that is a small sample in the grand scheme of HD, so I'm guessing there's been someone as good (and probably better) at some point.
Holy crap, while he wouldn't play much on my UNC team, he'd be 1 of my 2 best players on my ND team. Such a beast. Nice get.
11/5/2013 3:38 PM (edited)
Posted by gillispie1 on 11/4/2013 8:06:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MyGeneration on 11/4/2013 5:01:00 PM (view original):
Posted by gillispie1 on 11/4/2013 4:23:00 PM (view original):
theres a thread "best run ever" on the first or second page of the forums, in which a number of great runs are described. im not sure how many people have done 3 in a row but i think its at least 6, but probably less than 10. but its still one of the hardest and most impressive things anyone has ever pulled off, so you should be very proud if you manage it! its quite the feat.
A little context is in order. "Hardest and most difficult" within the world of Hoop's Dynasty. And, in Division III (where a majority of players cannot play). Still, a 3peat would really cool to see and a nice accomplishment. Good luck! (I cannot minimize the accomplishment too much given that I have zero rings and spend a lot of time on this hobby :)
obviously within HD, that goes without saying. nobody is saying he will have cured cancer or invented the internet. i have to imagine that context was obviously implied to everybody in the world but you...

while a 3peat in d3 is certainly easier than one in d1, its still very difficult. theres only a few times its ever happened in d3, while there are a good 60,000 to 100,000 or so d3 player-seasons (and therefore, shots at d3 championships). thats pretty impressive. this seems like a pretty retarded post coming from a guy who hasn't even won one... if you did, that would be one in 600ish d3 titles. he would have an accomplishment of just one in a few - making his accomplishment at least 100 times harder. granted, you'd both have to win a title next season, but he carries the odds on that one, too.
Why the name calling ("retarded post")? The hyperbole on this forum about WIS accomplishments can be a bit much. That's all. I was not saying that you cannot differentiate between real life and WIS or that a 3peat would not be really cool to see ("a 3peat would be really cool to see and a nice accomplishment"). So why so snarky? Kid keeping you up? And no need to point out my lack of championships - I already did that in my post, pretty clearly, while poking fun at myself. No need to pile on.
11/5/2013 3:47 PM
Posted by mrg1037 on 11/4/2013 12:02:00 PM (view original):
I realize that by making this post, I am virtually guaranteeing that I don't get it done, but here goes:

My Martin Luther squad is a #1 seed in the Naismith D3 NT which just started last night. We are the two time defending national champions. Has anyone ever completed a three peat, or do I have a chance to be the first? I looked through the history books of the two worlds I'm in, Naismith and Smith, and nobody has done it at any level in those worlds. What about the other worlds?

Thanks in advance for any replies... you can all come back and laugh at me after we get upset in the second round tonight.
mrg not upset, beats aejones. Congratulations!
11/5/2013 3:56 PM
I've played a LOT of D3 and I can only think of two players I'd take over Chad Brown, one of which was just very slightly higher rated overall at 851.  The other was "only" high 700s overall, but just an absolute perfect PG, mainly because of 20-25 more Speed.
11/5/2013 5:40 PM
Posted by MyGeneration on 11/5/2013 3:47:00 PM (view original):
theres a thread "best run ever" on the first or second page of the forums, in which a number of great runs are described. im not sure how many people have done 3 in a row but i think its at least 6, but probably less than 10. but its still one of the hardest and most impressive things anyone has ever pulled off, so you should be very proud if you manage it! its quite the feat.
A little context is in order. "Hardest and most difficult" within the world of Hoop's Dynasty. And, in Division III (where a majority of players cannot play). Still, a 3peat would really cool to see and a nice accomplishment. Good luck! (I cannot minimize the accomplishment too much given that I have zero rings and spend a lot of time on this hobby :)
obviously within HD, that goes without saying. nobody is saying he will have cured cancer or invented the internet. i have to imagine that context was obviously implied to everybody in the world but you...

while a 3peat in d3 is certainly easier than one in d1, its still very difficult. theres only a few times its ever happened in d3, while there are a good 60,000 to 100,000 or so d3 player-seasons (and therefore, shots at d3 championships). thats pretty impressive. this seems like a pretty retarded post coming from a guy who hasn't even won one... if you did, that would be one in 600ish d3 titles. he would have an accomplishment of just one in a few - making his accomplishment at least 100 times harder. granted, you'd both have to win a title next season, but he carries the odds on that one, too.
Why the name calling ("retarded post")? The hyperbole on this forum about WIS accomplishments can be a bit much. That's all. I was not saying that you cannot differentiate between real life and WIS or that a 3peat would not be really cool to see ("a 3peat would be really cool to see and a nice accomplishment"). So why so snarky? Kid keeping you up? And no need to point out my lack of championships - I already did that in my post, pretty clearly, while poking fun at myself. No need to pile on.
Is that hyperbole? I think it is one of the "hardest and most impressive" things that can be achieved.

In the context of Hoops Dynasty, in case you weren't sure what I meant.
11/5/2013 10:06 PM
But has anyone won 3 straight NTs in the "modern" era, which I define to be the era when several dozen coaches in a competitive world (like Naismith D3) more or less know all the tricks in the game?  It was impressive to win 10 titles in a row in the old days, but if it was done because that person was the only coach who knew about pulldowns, it's not really an even playing field.  It deserves a different sort of credit.  I am assuming here that mrg doesn't know some crazy trick that no one else in Naismith knows... maybe he does :)

I just had a vision for an ad on the web: "One weird trick to get 850 rated players in D3", with a picture of Chad Brown.  

11/6/2013 3:14 AM
I'm pretty sure the threepeats that I posted were all accomplished under the current engine. The first of narcotico's two runs might have started under the former engine, but the second of the three was definitely under the new.
11/6/2013 9:12 AM
Posted by rgerkin on 11/6/2013 3:14:00 AM (view original):
But has anyone won 3 straight NTs in the "modern" era, which I define to be the era when several dozen coaches in a competitive world (like Naismith D3) more or less know all the tricks in the game?  It was impressive to win 10 titles in a row in the old days, but if it was done because that person was the only coach who knew about pulldowns, it's not really an even playing field.  It deserves a different sort of credit.  I am assuming here that mrg doesn't know some crazy trick that no one else in Naismith knows... maybe he does :)

I just had a vision for an ad on the web: "One weird trick to get 850 rated players in D3", with a picture of Chad Brown.  

there was some dominance right when the new engine changed, as those who switched to ath/def right away and got good at that strategy quick had a major advantage over others. same thing happens with all major updates, early adopters take the lead. i think since the new engine has been digested and there is a very clear shift in the way the community at large plays the game, things have evened out a lot. i never had a huge trick like pulldowns that nobody knew when i won mine - but i did have the huge advantage of potential being new. its not really an advantage for any one coach just makes it easier for the earlier adopters, which i was one of. 

to me there is definitely something a little harder about doing it in a stable time period, when most coaches picked up the general strategy changes and a lot of the little tricks get more widely known. it just makes it harder to claim advantages over others, so i think its a little more impressive. 
11/6/2013 10:22 AM
Posted by rgerkin on 11/6/2013 3:14:00 AM (view original):

The linebacker?
11/7/2013 8:30 AM
Posted by MyGeneration on 11/5/2013 3:47:00 PM (view original):

i was snarky because you were snarky, i thought that was obvious. maybe you didnt mean it that way but i think i am in the majority who took it that way. everyone knows this is an HD accomplishment and that hes doing it in d3, which is not as hard as d1. its happened only once in d1. as i pointed out, its actually been done a handful of times in lower divisions, and i even pointed him to a thread that had a handful of runs more impressive than his own. i think the proper context was given - hey, its not the greatest thing ever (in HD), but its close, and its pretty damn impressive. i don't see anything wrong with that, maybe if you explain what is so wrong with that, what is so out of context, i would better understand your position. in the mean time, i see no need for you to downplay such a great accomplishment when the coach is literally on the cusp of achieving it. maybe he will, maybe he wont, but if he does, there's no need for you to cheapen that.

further, the comment about no title was just to remind YOU that maybe you are missing some context here. ive actually pulled off a 3peat, ive got a pretty good idea what it takes. you have no clue. i think that is pretty relevant context, dont you think so? it wasn't about saying you are a bad coach or a stupid coach or anything - rather, that you are calling me out on context when ive got a dramatically better set of experiences giving me context to speak from. doesn't help that what you pointed out was more or less reminding everyone this is a game. yes, we know! if you dont care enough to get excited about it - fine. but no need to rain on anyone else's parade!
11/7/2013 2:06 PM
Those comments were snarky - within the context of the HD forums. Just sayin.
11/7/2013 4:24 PM
As if telling the guy he doesn't have any championships - after he already stated so - isn't obvious. Mygeneration could have used better rhetoric perhaps, but no reason to jump on the dude. He went more than out of his way to say that he wasn't trying to belittle anything, even if he might have done so. Just my opinion. 

Good luck on the 3 peat. What a great run, I certainly hope you pull it off! 
11/7/2013 7:54 PM
i suppose i could have been a little nicer, too. anyway only 1 game to go, good luck!
11/8/2013 9:21 AM
Get it done!
11/8/2013 11:15 AM
Posted by gillispie1 on 11/8/2013 9:21:00 AM (view original):
i suppose i could have been a little nicer, too. anyway only 1 game to go, good luck!
MEANY 
11/8/2013 3:35 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.