Input on an under performing player Topic

http://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=0&pid=2505705

The link above is for a player that I have had for 3 years.  He has been under performing each of the past two seasons after having a very solid first season with my team in which he was honorable mention GLV all conference.  He is not a strong rebounder and has no room for improvement.  He also will not improve in LP but continues to see mild improvement in PER.  I'm trying to figure out how to use this guy most effectively.  I signed 6 key recruits to start the season so his role looks completely different then it did his Sophomore year.  I you guys have any input on my depth chart that would be much appreciated.  I run a Motion offense and a Full court Press defense.   I am aware that my speed is not at the level it should be to run this type of offense but I have been in just about every game this year so far.  I could easily be 8-6 with my challenging schedule if it weren't for losing by 3 or less points.  Any help would be very appreciated.  Thanks!

My team link is posted below:

http://www.whatifsports.com/hd/TeamProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=7244
11/12/2013 8:22 AM
His numbers seem to be consistent with his ratings.  Nothing special.  I also don't know what position he plays, since he doesnt have the ath/reb to be a pf, and way too slow to play sf in a press.  Based on his ratings there is nothing he does great.  So I see him once he's already there as a backup big.  So not sure what kind of numbers you are expecting out of him.
11/12/2013 10:41 AM
I am thinking the same thing, just needed confirmation.
11/12/2013 11:43 AM
Posted by dan2044 on 11/12/2013 10:41:00 AM (view original):
His numbers seem to be consistent with his ratings.  Nothing special.  I also don't know what position he plays, since he doesnt have the ath/reb to be a pf, and way too slow to play sf in a press.  Based on his ratings there is nothing he does great.  So I see him once he's already there as a backup big.  So not sure what kind of numbers you are expecting out of him.

With this being said, what do you think are sufficient ratings for each position in a Motion/Fullcourt Press team in DII?  Obviously ATH, STAMINA, DEF, and SPD are the first things I personally think need to be high but I am looking for clarity between each position.  I thought I have had solid recruiting classes the past two season, most recently ranked #5 DII recruiting class, but my speed seems to be way off from many other successful DII teams that run the same combination. 

Do my guards need to have 90 speed each or is 65 sufficient with a slowdown tempo?

What are sufficient SPD ratings for SF, PF, and C?

What are sufficient ATH ratings for each position?  -I have a Sophomore C with only 39 ATH, 22 SPD, 85 REB, and  71 LP that is pulling in 6 rebounds on 19 minutes.  Nothing really stellar but they are pretty solid stats for a Sophomore. 

What specific attribute would be say that you are looking for each position.

11/12/2013 12:34 PM
Not sure I can answer all those questions now, since it will take a while to make a list like that.  
But as a start, a DII big man needs have at least 60 ath, and that's a guy who has other skills.  A guy with 60 ath but no lp or reb isnt gonna be effective.  But once you find a big that's getting into the 70's and up in ath you can sacrifice more on the other ratings but not too much.  Speed for big men varies based on the player and type of defense.  I only play press on my teams, and I shoot for 30 speed from my bigs, but I'm flexible.  
In terms of gaurds, I would let the ath on my gaurds go down to like 50, but you can't play a guard at DII without at least a 70 speed, and that's the absolute minimum.  
You definitely need to get all you averages up on that team.  Your average ratings need to be high 50's and above in ath/def at least to compete in DII.
If you have more specific questions I can try to answer them later.  If you want to look at DII players that I like, look at my CSU Bakersfield team in Allen.  I really like that team.
I'm also curious to see what other people look for in their base ratings.  Because every time I've seen one of these threads in the forums trentonjoe always comes on and says his base rating are about 10 points higher that what I'm looking for, and I'm always impressed that he can find those players consistently.

11/12/2013 1:41 PM
I have had 3 different d-2 All-American big men that have had ATH under 60.  I don't think that's a prereq for a good D2 big man whatsoever, if they have LP & REB in excess of 80.

I also never play press, so our experiences our probably different.

11/12/2013 2:11 PM
As a general rule, I think 70 is the minimum # for your core skills in d2 to be elite.
11/12/2013 2:31 PM
I agree that 70 cores is elite.  

Abitaamber, how low of ath are we talking?  If it's in the 50's with great lp your not proving so much.  and also all americans are based on stats which is easily manipulated by distro.  you could have awful team that have all americans on them.  Not saying your teams are bad.

11/12/2013 5:54 PM
abitaamber, with your low ATH big men that were all-American, were you only having them rebound and get put backs?  Also,  were they successful because of the other players around them?  I can see a guy with low ATH but high 80's+ in LP and REB being a good player if he has good shooters and passers around him.  These threads are so helpful.  I'm starting to get a few ideas to work with.  I definitely need to get my core ratings up but I still feel like there is a way to be better then average until then.
11/15/2013 2:40 AM
Input on an under performing player Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.