3 point frequency Topic

Just wanted to get peoples opinions on 2 things.
1) At what perimeter ratings do you put a player at any level of 3 point frequency? (and yes I'm aware perimeter is not the only factor)
2) Do you aim to take a minimum number of 3's per game even if your players don't have the ratings to pull it off, just so that the opponent doesn't just play a big minus?
12/5/2013 9:07 PM
1) It depends on what their LP rating is as well since that factors into what kind of shots players are taking. Generally though at D2 I will start going to -1 at 60 and then 0 for bench players at 70 and starters at 80. I never use + setting since I feel like it leads to forced shots. Even if a player had 99 Per and 1 LP I would rather they take an open mid range shot than force a contested 3.

2) No it totally depends on my team. You always want to play to your strengths. Obviously you can tweak it for opponents but you can't force your team to be something its not. If they can't shoot 3s then don't.

12/6/2013 3:21 AM
1- at d3 I will start thinking about a + at 70. For d2 it's probably closer to 75. If a kid has good ath and spd and can create attempts then I might go lower. It partly depends how well he can score in other ways, but that is a cliff notes ballpark.

2- absolutely not. Play to your strengths and if the arc isn't one of them then why risk it? I won't put all my guys at -2 the way I have seen some coaches, but I have gone -1 almost across the board with my posts at -2 in the past. If a guy wants to go a big minus, let him. If I cannot win then that's on me for not recruiting enough balance.
12/6/2013 2:11 PM
Posted by blackdog3377 on 12/6/2013 3:21:00 AM (view original):
1) It depends on what their LP rating is as well since that factors into what kind of shots players are taking. Generally though at D2 I will start going to -1 at 60 and then 0 for bench players at 70 and starters at 80. I never use + setting since I feel like it leads to forced shots. Even if a player had 99 Per and 1 LP I would rather they take an open mid range shot than force a contested 3.

2) No it totally depends on my team. You always want to play to your strengths. Obviously you can tweak it for opponents but you can't force your team to be something its not. If they can't shoot 3s then don't.

Wow.   I am the complete opposite.    Almost everyone is either a -2 or +2 on my team.   In my mind, you're either a shooter or you ain't.

And to answer the original question I go 60 at D3, 70 at D2 80 at D1 and 90 at Elite D1.

12/6/2013 2:49 PM
I never put a player at +2 and only go +1 on the very rarest of occasions.  As far as what rating they need to have, my personal opinion is that most of the numbers posted in this thread are a little on the high side for a minimum.  Depending on what the rest of my team looks like, I won't hesitate for a second to have a D2 guard whose Per rating is in the 50's set at 0.  Do it all the time.
12/6/2013 3:04 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 12/6/2013 2:49:00 PM (view original):
Posted by blackdog3377 on 12/6/2013 3:21:00 AM (view original):

Wow.   I am the complete opposite.    Almost everyone is either a -2 or +2 on my team.   In my mind, you're either a shooter or you ain't.

And to answer the original question I go 60 at D3, 70 at D2 80 at D1 and 90 at Elite D1.

That seems to be limiting what some players can do. What do you do with for example a D2 guard with 85 per and is also say 80 speed, 40 ath, 70 BH, and 30 LP. Those are pretty reasonable for a good player. Going +2 for them would really restrict their efficiency since they could be a force driving as well instead of forcing 3s.
12/7/2013 2:23 AM
It depends on how many and what type of other scorers are on my team.  If I don't have another 3 point shooter, I would put him at +2 w/o thinking twice. If I  have other perimeter players I would probably go +1.

I tend to get more high ath/spd/lp/bh guards than I do perimeter because of my recruiting style.   I go +2 alot because I usually don't have more than 2 (and often only 1) three point shooter.

12/7/2013 5:05 AM
I move players from -2 to at least -1 or 0 earlier (i.e. at lower PER ratings) than most of the posters in this thread. The main reason is opponent gameplanning. While a 55 PER player in D3 won't be particularly efficient at 3PT, he'll be enough of a threat that it makes it harder for my opponent to only defend inside on me. Every season, I beat at least 1-2 more talented opponents simply because they have no 3PT shooting (or only one guy), because they're applying a very high threshold for allowing guys to shoot the three. That lets me go -4 or -5 on Team Game Plan without any consequences.
12/11/2013 12:57 PM
It's also to important to work the matchups.   If the SF has a speed and def in the 40's,  all of a sudden my 50 something  speed and perimeter guy is a player.
12/11/2013 2:35 PM
3 point frequency Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.