Coaches who have won a championship at all levels Topic

Posted by rgerkin on 12/16/2013 3:55:00 PM (view original):
Tonight I'll scrape the team history (including coach and NT performance for each season) from every team in HD and run a script to see if anyone has pulled off the feat.  With that information in hand there should be some "Feats of HD Glory" analyses that might be worth running, so let me know if you have ideas.  
send me a message on gchat if you want to send me you over the dynasty rankings program, it already (in java) pulls the history of every team in HD and does various "feats of HD glory" computations. mostly, longest streaks of various achievements (such as most consecutive NT appearances) and then the rankings. we should get together and put it up on a website, so people can pick the season and world they want to see the rankings for - i originally intended to run those rankings monthly, most worlds don't have an in-world ranking and nobody else does a cross-world ranking, but i didn't. so it sucks for those who had peaks in between when i ran them, not seeing how high their program peaked at the time. would be cool to run all the data and let people enter the world and season and see the rankings, both in-world and cross-world up to that point in time. 
12/16/2013 4:44 PM
hmmm, one thing im wondering, i dont think ive run it since SOS was added to the team history page, so there is a slight chance that breaks things. but i kind of doubt it, i was pretty loose in my scraping, looking for starting markers, not exact positions or anything
12/16/2013 4:45 PM
Doesn't look like anyone has ever done it or if they have its a pretty exclusive club. Oldave and I have decided to come out of retirement in Iba and make this our challenge. We'll try to win in DII as quick as we can and move up to DI. Should be a fun and interesting challenge. We welcome anyone to join us if they want. One thing is for sure, I WILL beat oldave.
12/16/2013 10:05 PM
OK, so I can confirm that no one has one a championship under one ID at all levels in the same world.  Here's what I've put together, with a key to explain it:

> World
> Coaches with D1, D2, and D3 Championships
> Coach Names
> Coaches with D1 and D2 Championships
> Coach Names
> Coaches with D1 and D3 Championships
> Coach Names
> Coaches with D2, and D3 Championships
> Coach Names

All Worlds Combined

1 2 3
ARomano, AceCards, Rails, aberwager, acn24, blapo21, colorblind79, emy1013, fatchance, goosegoslin, jbohrman, jdno, jsreilly, kelby_03, kevthekidd, lostmyth2, majresorter, mniven, mpollon, mswilso2, mullycj, oldresorter, porkpower, robdoc3, zhawks

1 2
ARomano, AceCards, Nellie, Plumpy, Rails, aberwager, acn24, airjare, ajcrawford69, aporter, ben3149, bentlie29, blapo21, bow2dacowz, brocktune310, broncosboy, cbriese, colorblind79, combalt, cyric612, dan2980, dedhed1959, doogan, drichar138, dwoelflin07, emy1013, fatchance, flyer1950, girt25, goosegoslin, gopokes24, griswald, isustud07, jason5, jbohrman, jdno, jlovicz, johncannon, johnsensing, jsreilly, kelby_03, kevthekidd, kgoat, kydynasty, ledfoot, liamsar, lostmyth2, lwbraun, majresorter, manonde01, mhoffa1382, mlatsko1, mniven, moy23, mpollon, mswilso2, mullycj, namshub, nfet, ohyesyouwill, oldman_sons, oldresorter, opshutdown34, porkpower, rc1990, rds_lsu, reinsel, robdoc3, sportsguy001, sully712, tannermcc, umpikes, winmag, zhawks

1 3
ARomano, AceCards, Rails, aberwager, acn24, ajwalton, andrewfrance, blapo21, bluespruce, cmthieme, colorblind79, daveymac, djbrewer0808, emy1013, fatchance, gillispie1, goosegoslin, grapevine25, jbohrman, jdno, jerkstore33, johnner26, jsreilly, kelby_03, kevthekidd, kmasonbx, kyle_lee7, l_eustachy, lostmyth2, lrmiller99, majresorter, mbalding, mccabemi, meany27, mfkidd, mmt0315, mniven, mpollon, mswilso2, mullycj, oldave, oldresorter, pablo_ohio, porkpower, rarlinghaus, robdoc3, roguedog, supclean, swiners, tanzetti, taz21, tntsdad1, vamrbball, vegaskevin, zhawks

2 3
ARomano, AceCards, Rails, aberwager, acn24, acroth2, aejones, ahook715, alblack56, alliem605, armyof1, bballjunkie3, blakesdad, blapo21, bmill237, brad_23, bretodonnell, brianxavier, bunkerbuster, cammby, carlnault, chapelhillne, coach_billyg, colorblind79, cubs171717, dknox, drubrally, emy1013, fatchance, furry_nipps, fussyd, goosegoslin, jbasnight, jbohrman, jdno, joelhall32, jsreilly, kelby_03, kevthekidd, khook19, kkyutzy, kypride, lostmyth2, majresorter, mniven, mpollon, mswilso2, mullycj, nghtrngr04, norm24, oldresorter, paland, palewhiteboy, phalla, platoisek, porkpower, robdoc3, rockafe11a, ronm605, rusticity, starrider19, stunoell, testudo34, tianyi7886, toysboys, uk_bill, urdanick, whunt1, wpd6900, xulapaul, zhawks

Naismith

1 2 3

1 2
AceCards, Plumpy, combalt, johnsensing, nfet, porkpower

1 3
mccabemi, meany27, vegaskevin 2 3 bballjunkie3, mullycj

Wooden

1 2 3

1 2
airjare, broncosboy, jbohrman, kgoat 1 3 cmthieme

2 3
blakesdad, toysboys

Rupp

1 2 3

1 2
Nellie, aberwager, girt25, moy23, oldresorter

1 3

2 3
emy1013, tianyi7886

Smith

1 2 3

1 2
ajcrawford69, colorblind79, gopokes24, liamsar, mullycj

1 3
jsreilly, mniven, pablo_ohio

2 3

Iba

1 2 3

1 2
combalt, lostmyth2, lwbraun

1 3
oldresorter, supclean

2 3
brianxavier, furry_nipps, wpd6900

Allen

1 2 3

1 2
jason5, kelby_03, majresorter

1 3

2 3
acroth2, mpollon

Crum

1 2 3

1 2
acn24, rds_lsu

1 3
roguedog

2 3
jdno, urdanick

Tarkanian

1 2 3

1 2
aporter, blapo21, lostmyth2

1 3
gillispie1, johnner26, oldresorter, swiners

2 3
Rails

Knight

1 2 3

1 2
cyric612, fatchance, robdoc3

1 3

2 3
alliem605

Phelan

1 2 3

1 2
kydynasty, rc1990

1 3
zhawks 2 3 blapo21, cubs171717
12/17/2013 12:45 PM
Posted by gillispie1 on 12/12/2013 1:40:00 PM (view original):
its been done by a number of coaches but im not sure about the same username restriction. i was trying to win all 3 in the same world in the same season (using 3 accounts) for a while, got close but never pulled it off, and im pretty sure that has never been done. but people have come close, and winning all 3 in different seasons is way easier - so i would have to bet on there being someone who did it even with 3 different user names, even though i cant think of who it might be? 
If I'm not mistaken, you won all 3 in Tark across gillispie1 (D1 South Carolina and Texas A&M and D3 Howard Payne) and coach_billyg (D2 S. Illinois Edwardsville, 9 times).  I guess when you have 20 titles you can't keep them all straight? 
12/17/2013 12:50 PM
Posted by rgerkin on 12/17/2013 12:50:00 PM (view original):
Posted by gillispie1 on 12/12/2013 1:40:00 PM (view original):
its been done by a number of coaches but im not sure about the same username restriction. i was trying to win all 3 in the same world in the same season (using 3 accounts) for a while, got close but never pulled it off, and im pretty sure that has never been done. but people have come close, and winning all 3 in different seasons is way easier - so i would have to bet on there being someone who did it even with 3 different user names, even though i cant think of who it might be? 
If I'm not mistaken, you won all 3 in Tark across gillispie1 (D1 South Carolina and Texas A&M and D3 Howard Payne) and coach_billyg (D2 S. Illinois Edwardsville, 9 times).  I guess when you have 20 titles you can't keep them all straight? 
i cant guess what the hell i was trying to say in the second half of that... but the first half was much more sensible. i was sure it was done but not with the username restriction. i assumed a bunch of people had done it really, i just knew of myself offhand but figured it had to be, with so many coaches having so many titles these days.
12/18/2013 1:17 AM
lostmyth won on another account, like lost2myth or something, so he might have it too. acn has bunch of alts, wouldnt be at all surprised if he had it... im not sure but i know lots of guys on your list with 2 in a world have alts with titles, i dont know where they won though :)
12/18/2013 1:46 AM
this really does suprise me.

for two reasons:
1)   there are a handful of guys who have been SOOO successful and have SOO many teams,  i would have thought they had done it by accident.
2)   i would have thought that one of these ubersuccessful coaches would have noticed it hadnt been done and made a specific point to try to do it. 

granted, there is really nothing that makes the accomplishment more impressive under one ID than under multiple.  but it sounds like there arent even very many who have done it under multiple IDs.   anyone have the time, interest and or ability to figure out how many have done it when you include aliai?

in returning to HD,  this is one of my goals, although it will probably take awhile.
a) since i allways had trouble finishing the deal and winning NCs anyway,  
b) i dont even have 2 divisions covered yet in any world
and  c)  now its going to take me a while to re-learn the game.

i guess my best hope in the short term is tark, where i need a d2 and a d3.   i did luck into a great job at powerhouse GreenvilleD3 (thanks narcotico and TRrr), so at least there is no rebuild.   Although it is alot of pressure taking over the best program in HD d3 history.

are any of you guys with two in a world making a specific effort to complete the trifecta?

I stil need a d2 title to join the 25 coaches with NCs at all three levels (anyworld).  i guess that is my more urgent goal.  after learning how to coach again.
luckily, i didnt forget how to rant.  ;-)

1/29/2014 12:24 PM
I tried extremely hard to get the DII NT to complete the trifecta. I lost back to back title games and that was as close as I came. I just enjoy DI more than I enjoy chasing goals.
1/29/2014 12:41 PM
makes sense, m.   ive always enjoyed the lower levels for some reason.  it really is a different game.  obviously, there are not the depth of great coaches like in d1,  and there are wayyyy more really bad coaches,  but there still are great coaches and the strategy is just different.   i didnt like the abundance of 90+ players in D1 at the elite level.  d3 seems like there is so much more skill differentiation and therefore more variety in winning philosophies,  imo.

i do want to get back to d1 though.   i only coached d1 in tark,  and while i did have a little success, ive always wondered if i could succeed at d1 without all the built in advantages that i "earned" almost solely on the back of my NC runnerup at Hobawilly in d3tark season0001.   after that, i had my pick of d2 schools (plumpy won the nc and retired)  and  then repeated that right on up to syracuse.   not that bigeast tark was a walk in the park , as you well know... i think you got to nova about the time i left cuse?

anyway,  i hope to have some d1 success at some point the "old fashioned way... by UUHRRNing it"  <insert john houseman voice>
1/29/2014 12:59 PM
Its good to have you back; your epic rants were just that epic...and if you make it to DI I might have to rejoin your conference!
1/29/2014 3:17 PM

oldave, I am currently manning your old Syracuse post in tark as I chase that elusive (for me) D1 title. You should definitely come back to D1 there. I've tried to carry on your cc ranting tradition--it is harder than it looks.

1/29/2014 3:27 PM
:-)

there were several pretty good opportunities in d1 tark.  i think okie st and oregon and maybe lsu were all A or A- prestige.

but, i decided i wanted to pursue this "winning at all levels" goal and so i re-started at d3 greenville in tark .
plus, i guess i didnt like the idea of jumping in at the highest level with high expectations without having time to re-learn the game
i kinda jumped in with both feet and also  have d3 teams in wooden and rupp and a d2 team in iba.
 hopefully i can work my way up and be back to playing "with the big boys" before too long.

yes, ranting is not nearly as easy as it looks, 

I saw that you were at cuse jba.  its only a matter of time before that 0025 banner has some company.   but probably not this year with 7 new bodies.  you cant be too happy that a kid who never started a game for you turned pro early so that he could get drafted in the second round.
on the good side... i see that you have turned OR into your own personal punching bag.  and the rest of the big east too, really,   16-0 twice and 15-1 once in  sixseasons?   dadgum!   i never went 16-0 in 40 seasons or whatever.   anyway... get that banner...  although i dont know if i can give you full credit since cuse is no longer running the fastbroke offense.  ;-)    i always kinda wanted to switch to zone, but always heard with was hard to suceed at d1 with zone.  i almost feel like cuse should HAVE TO play zone in HD.

anyways,  take er easy and tell the big boys i said hi
1/29/2014 4:27 PM
Aaaaand ... oldave is back!

Welcome, buddy! Great to have you.

1/30/2014 11:10 PM
great to be had, daalty.

1/30/2014 11:45 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Coaches who have won a championship at all levels Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.